New War Hydra - Unboxed and built

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dragon9
Assassin

Re: New War Hydra - Unboxed and built

Post by Dragon9 »

Trax wrote:The more I see it, the more I like the serpentine look of the new Hydra. But I use the Reaper Hydra, so it's a completely different look anyway that the new one wouldn't mix to well with it anyway.

That Reaper hydra looks like a multi-headed Cold One. For those interested in eeing it: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/h ... test/14445
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Venoms
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Venoms »

Yeah, I think the Reaper Hydra looks cool. And the new Hydra is not bad. But the heads look more like the old Cold Ones. And considering the previous Hydra, I think the new version is a significant downgrade.

I still find this Hydra to be the best version I've personally seen:

I hope they can at least bring this back up on their order page and give people a choice.
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

Yeah, I could never get into the heads of the hydra, just not my style, dunno, that's why I searched for other options and went with Reaper finally. On that note: Anybody got experiences with Reapers Bone Plastic stuff? Now that I might actually field two or three hydras, I might need another one or two and whilst metal would be the way to go, the plastic variant is way cheaper and I've gotta look at the budget here.
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Wow when i see that pic i like the new one even more. I have to laugh if i see the "old" one. These Heads are so unrealisic big and it trys so hard to look Evil but cannot deliver it.
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

It's this Pterodactyl headplate I just don't understand. And yeah, it's kinda out of proportion in general.
Venoms
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Venoms »

Yeah, absolutely correct. The proportions are way off. And that's in sync with all Warhammer Fantasy character. If you pick up any of the Warhammer miniatures, you will clearly see the proportions are scaled to a very stylized appearance with larger heads and squaty bodies. I assume the reason is much like you see in animations, so that they read better at smaller scales and from a distance.

So the Hydra proportions are clearly on par with the established parameters they have created.

Guess I'm a fan of the spiker/evil look of the previous version. The new head just looks like a generic lizard, almost "Barney" like.

Which is a child's mascot and which is supposed to be a fearsome Warhammer creature?
:roll:
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

To be fair, "fearsome" is a tag I would neither put on the new nor the old hydra. But the old one had some crazy style that came out of nowhere, the new one is clearly serpenti..nine which I actually like. Don't wanna say it makes more "sense" this way since GW's lore is its own and the hydra's background intersecting with the "original one's" (that is, the mythological hydra) is basically contingent/random, but I don't hold it against the GW fluff if it befits the mythological lore either, quite the contrary, but this is up to taste, I guess.

On the other hand, you're totally right about the proportions in general, but there is "out of proportion" and "one single head is already bigger than the body".
Venoms
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Venoms »

Yeah, you're absolutely right, it's all about taste.

For me, I like the protrusion out of the back of the old Hydra skull, kinda reminiscent of some of the H.R. Giger character designs which I have personally always been a fan of.

I'll just have to stock up on as many old Hydras as I can find!

And at some point I will buy this new version... But ONLY for the Kharibdyss heads mind you!
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I have built one box as the Kharibdyss, and since I haven't seen anyone post about it... yes, with a little bit of green stuff, you can cover over where the chest piece goes. So you don't have to have the chest claws.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Venoms
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Venoms »

I wonder if anyone has successfully kitbashed the new Hydra with some better heads? I'm thinking the Black Dragon head might look much more appealing.