Character Build Compendium - 8th Edition Army Book

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Character Build Compendium - 8th Edition Army Book

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

On a gray rock, in the middle of an otherwise unremarkable plain, a cracked, weather-beaten tome smolders quietly in the night, aged and withered black and blue feathers scattered around it. Dull flickering flames of a black hue dance across the cover. Abruptly, the flames surge nearly 20 feet into the air, before cutting off completely. In the sudden inferno’s place lies an undamaged tome, red runes glowing upon its spine, while a black and blue-feathered phoenix stands upon the rock. The phoenix shakes itself, pauses for its ruffled feathers to settle, then mutters, “Well, I guess it’s time to get back to work” as the tome rises into the air, opening itself before the phoenix.

Well, fellow Druchii, it seems we once again have work to do.

Due to the arrival of the new 2013 edition of our Army Book, the previous series of character builds we established through 8th edition: Various Character Builds are no longer usable as written. Naturally, I want us to be able to rectify this by finding the useful builds that lie within our newest arsenal.

While it is a little early, and some of us are currently waiting for our books to arrive, we should be able to start pulling a list of potentially useful builds to fit most situations.

As a perspective for those suggesting builds and combos of characters, please keep in mind the 25% cap on Heroes and Lords. As a quick reference for practicality, based on the usual:

1000point Army – 250pts for Heroes and/or Lords
1250point Army – 312pts
1500point Army – 375pts
1750point Army – 437pts
2000point Army – 500pts
2250point Army – 562pts
2400point Army – 600pts

Initially, all builds will display under Hypothetical Heroes or Lords, separated into subsection as appropriate. As we go along and analyze builds for effectiveness, and hoping the crazy ones survives the eventual FAQ, I will move them to the Confirmed section.

Please explain any build that you submit, preferably in detail. One or two sentences are typically sufficient, more if you are building a combo effect. I will gladly give you credit and use your description. In addition, I would prefer not having to come up with the tactics of a build I didn’t envision myself, since my vision will likely be far off the intention of the original creator. While I will typically add a little bit of probability to the build as appropriate, I would like to avoid having to type up the strategy for which you created the character.

For those who respond, I thank you for reading and for your suggestions. Although I am not likely to be posting frequently, I will be checking when I can to update the listings with the interesting builds you provide.

Finally, as disclaimers for my own sake:

1) I in no way am discussing in this venue what rules are in the book, I’ll let people discuss those in detail in the separate topics already established.

2) As stated, my posting schedule may be erratic. However, I should be on a least every Friday/Saturday to start verifying builds and transferring them to the appropriate section once, I have my copy of the Army Book.

3) If this does get anywhere near as comprehensive as the prior version, of course I would like it added to the D.R.A.I.C.H. as appropriate,
especially since my compendium from last edition is now out-of-date.
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Re: Character Build Compendium - 8th Edition Army Book

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Reserved

Confirmed Lord Builds

Subset - Unit

Build Name by suggestor
Unit - X points
Equipment
suggestor wrote: sample quote
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Reserved

Hypothetical Lord Builds

Subset - Dreadlord

The Dirty Harry by Setomidor
Dreadlord – 306 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Cloak of Twilight, Dawnstone, Spell shield
Scyloc wrote: Strong charge potential S6 d3Ws, 1+ Rerollable Armor Save as, 3+ ward vs shooting, 2+ ward vs spells

Alternate build
Dreadlord – 302 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Cloak of Twilight, Dawnstone, Sword of Might
Scyloc wrote: As above but with only 3+ Ward vs spells, but instead S5 magical attacks

Lord Flashheart by T.D.
Dreadlord – 257points + mount
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Ogre Blade, Black Amulet
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, successful wards rebound wounds in challenges, S6
Rationale: Kill enemy heroes and deadly single monsters (i.e. Bloodthirsters, DragonLords)

Nemesis by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Ogre Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Talisman of Preservation
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, enemies in b2b re-rolls successful wards, S6
Rationale: Kill warded enemy characters

Deathstar Hunter by T.D.
Dreadlord – 251points + mount
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Glittering Scale Armour, Talisman of Preservation
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 3+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, -1 to hit h-t-h, +1S and +1A for each enemy character in b2b with unit
Rationale: When your opponent tends to employ deathstars

Deathstar Challenger by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Black Amulet, Dragonhelm
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 1+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward; 2+ vs flaming, successful 4+ wards rebound wounds in challenges, +1S and +1A for each enemy character in b2b with unit
Rationale: When your opponent tends to employ deathstars and you want to challenge out his most deadly character.

You Shall Not Pass by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Crown of Command, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Biting Blade or Shrieking Blade or Lance(remove 3 points from total)
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 1+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward; 2+ vs flaming, Stubborn, either extra -1 AS or cause fear or +2S charge
Rationale: Roadblock build

untitled by Willzilla
Dreadlord – 307points
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Chillblade, Cloak of Twilight, Pegasus
Willzilla wrote: This dreadlord can be used to hunt monsters, Greater demons, and characters on monstrous mounts. He forgoes the killing blow bonus on the cloak, but instead wounds automatically dealing d3 wounds. This offers far more monster killing potential against targets without high armor saves, or relying only on ward saves. He still brings 1+ armor to the fight, as well as 3+ Ward Save against shooting and magic to make sure he gets on target, and the Pegasus protects him from stomps. With his high int and ASF, he should be killing most monsters in the first round of combat, leaving any hapless characters unmounted to fight him back.

The Ward Hunter by Omnichron
Dreadlord – 277 points
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, The Other Trickster's Shard, Dark Steed
Omnichron wrote: Having S7 means that 1+ armor is suddenly 5+, with reroll of ward saves as well. With rerollable saves you should have enough to take care of most problems before they get to strike you and you should be able to survive retaliation. The weakness to this one is that he'll die quickly against cannons and such if he hasn't got a unit that can give him look out sir.

"Immortal" Dragonlord by Omnichron
Dreadlord – 540 points
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Armor of Destiny, Dawnstone, The Other Trickster's Shard, Lance, Black Dragon Mount
Omnichron wrote: This guy is REALLY hard to take down in close combat, and he will definitivly rip most opponents to shreds in any challenge. Attacks can either be done against his rerollable armor save (which means 4+/4+/4+ against S6), or against the dragon (T6 and enough wounds to survive a lot). Even WoC characters will have respect for this one. The obvious weakness is as for most dragonlords, cannons.

Quicksilver Dreadlord by T.D.
Dreadlord – 248 points
Fencers Blades, Glittering Scale Armour, Talisman of Endurance, Ironcurse Icon
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 4+ Armour Save, 5+ Ward, -1 to hit h-t-h, WS10, 6++ vs warmachines for unit
Rationale: Adding spine to your Anvil - RxB or RHB Corsair. More of a fun build for large scale fluff battles where the best items have been taken by other characters.

Alternate Build #1 by T.D.
Dreadlord – 248 points
Fencers Blades, Glittering Scale Armour, Seed of Rebirth, Ruby Ring of Rhuin
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 4+ Armour Save, 6+ Regen, -1 to hit h-t-h, WS10, Fireball Spell
Rationale: Adding spine to your Anvil - RxB or RHB Corsair. More of a fun build for large scale fluff battles where the best items have been taken by other characters.

Alternate Build #2 by T.D.
Dreadlord – 248 points
Fencers Blades, Glittering Scale Armour, Potion of Toughness, Opal Amulet
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 4+ Armour Save, -1 to hit h-t-h, WS10, +3 Toughness for 1 round, 4+ ward vs 1st wound

The Beserker by Prince daerlythe
Dreadlord – 452 points
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Hydra Blade, Manticore with Ironhide Skin and Blind Rage
Prince daerlythe wrote: A fast-moving bullet magnet that will tear through all CC other than heavy armour with ease. Preferably backed up by the lore of Beasts and/or Life.

The Cataphract by Nostromo
Dreadlord – 269 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, Charmed Shield, Dark Steed
Nostromo wrote: Use a slice of a your core allowance to give him a dark rider bodyguard of 7 and you have a maneuverable, REDEPLOYABLE S7 lord. With murderous prowess and ASF there is a very high chance of hitting and wounding with all attacks and at least crippling any high AS gribblies or monsters. Foolhardiness to maximise damage and dawnstone to keep him going in combat. Charmed Shield is optional, but even 4+ riders are fragile, and if he needs to go commando it allows him to eat a cannonball. The vanguard move will allow you to get in prime position to threaten the best possible targets.

Unkillable Dreadlord by Jvh792
Dreadlord – 273 points
Sea Dragon Cloak, Dawnstone, Armor of Destiny, Potion of Strength, Cold One
Jvh792 wrote:1+ Armor rerollable, 4+ Ward.
S8 for a turn. With clever positioning and an overrun you can fight with that Potion twice.
Many people use monsters to protect flanks. Charge the monster with this guy, and the unit the monster is protecting with your combat block, kill or break the monster on combat res and pursue into the unit's flank, then fight that combat.

Bloodshed Dreadlord by Scyloc
Dreadlord – 252 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Sword of Bloodshed, Dragonhelm, Luckstone, Potion of Strength
Scyloc wrote: 1+ (with single RR), 2++ vs fire, 7 attacks S7 with potion, or 10 S7 attacks with Horros. If left without support he isn’t that great, but a key combat with 7 S7 attacks is enough to sway most combats into your favor, so he can still add guaranteed value in that key combat, where you cannot afford to rely on getting buffs through.
He really shines, when combined with S buffing spells and or toughness decreasing spells, he becomes a constant threat in combat. Often you can put your enemy in a dilemma where you threaten, boosted Amber Spear, Horros on your Bloodshed DL and Wyssans/Soulblight/Curse of Anreheir. Most times he will dispell amber spear, leaving you with the opening to get off wyssans and/or Horros.

Coincidently the Tricksters Support BSB next to Bloodshed Dreadlord can be a devastating combo in CC, while providing a LD10 RR 12" bubble to the rest of your army.

Stealth MantiLord by T.D.
Dreadlord – 404 to 452points
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, Talisman of Endurance, Dragonhelm, Manticore
*choice of Lance or Relic Sword
*Ironhide Skin and Blind Rage optional
T.D. wrote: Rationale: 1+ AS, 2+ Ward vs flaming, 5+ Ward in h-t-h, 3+ Ward vs shooting & magic, S6 D3 wounds + KB when charging {lance} or S4 magical always wounds on at least 5+ (rerolling ones) + D3 wounds + KB when charging. On a Manticore.

Optional upgrade to Black Dragon.

alternate build by T.D.
Dreadlord – 408 to 453points
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, Glittering Scale Armor, Dawnstone, Lance, Manticore
*Ironhide Skin and Blind Rage optional
T.D. wrote: 3+ AS rerollable, -1 to hit in h-t-h, 3+ Ward vs shooting & magic, S6 D3 wounds + KB when charging. On a Manticore.

Optional Upgrade to Black Dragon.

Phoenix Hunting Lord by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, ChillBlade, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Foolhardiness
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, auto-wounds, one use Itp and extra attack when charging
Rationale: When he goes out hunting Phoeni; smoke him a kipper, skipper - he'll be back before breakfast.

Destroyer of Destroyers I by T.D.
Dreadlord – 251points + mount
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Armour of Destiny, Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem, Potion of Foolhardiness
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, 2++ Versus flaming, S6 magical, one use Itp and extra attack when charging
Rationale: Kill tough and armoured things, survive, annoy flaming things too.

Destroyer of Destroyers II by T.D.
Dreadlord – 246points + mount
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Armour of Fortune, ChillBlade, Dragonbane Gem, Potion of Foolhardiness
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 5+ Ward, 2++ Versus flaming, Auto-wounds, one use Itp and extra attack when charging
Rationale: Kill ultra tough things, survive, annoy flaming things too (imagine this versus K-Daaii :twisted: )

Subset – Supreme Sorceress

untitled by Scyloc
Supreme Sorceress – 360 points
Lore – Dark Magic
Cloak of Twillight, Tome of Furion, Obsidian Trinket
Scyloc wrote: 3+ ward vs shooting, 2+ ward vs spells, Tome to select Soulstealer / Shroud of Despair / Word of Pain

Darkness Unleased by EbonyPhoenix
Supreme Sorceress – 315 points
Lore – Dark Magic
Book of Ashur, Talisman of Endurance
EbonyPhoenix wrote: Fairly standard build, just felt like putting a name to it. All spells with be cast with +6 to the attempt, dispels with +5 to the attempts, and the 5+ Ward to help mitigate damage. Stick her in a decent background unit, and watch the opponent scramble for dice to keep the spells at bay. Try to look for Doombolt, Word of Pain, and hope for good results from Bladewind, Shroud of Despair, Soul Stealer, and Black Horror as appropriate to your foe.

Superbabe by T.D.
Supreme Sorceress – 620 points
Lore – Dark Magic
Level 4, Cloak of Twillight, Talisman of Preservation, Black Dragon, and either Warrior Bane or Tormentor Sword
T..D. wrote: Rationale: Casting Soulstealer and not dying. 3+ ward vs shooting, magic for early game flying about and magicking/breathing. 4+ ward for joining the Dragon in h-t-h (hopefully now at 10 wounds ) and vs miscasts. Charges with D3 wounds and KB. With warrior Bane can remove D3 attacks on successful wounding of enemies in charging turn. Fun build.

Double Dragon by Haagrum
Supreme Sorceress – 620points
Lore – Dark Magic or Beasts
Talisman of Preservation, Black Dragon Egg, Warrior Bane
Haagrum wrote: If she takes Dark Magic, she can abuse Soulstealer for extra Wounds, overcome the range difficulties presented by some of our spells, as well as using Black Horror from early in the game (even less risk is involved if she uses Power of Darkness or the Egg for the extra Strength in case of misfire).

If she takes Lore of Beasts, she can charge into combat after casting Savage Beast of Horros for 4 S6 attacks (S9 if she's swallowed the Dragon Egg that turn). Depending on the spell, her buffs can be easier to cast on herself as she is riding a monster. She can also position herself to knock out a rank of heavy cavalry at a time with a boosted Amber Spear. She will also be able to combo-charge harder enemy targets and use Beasts magic to boost the combat prowess of all Dark Elf characters in the same combat.

Regardless of Lore choice, she can also double-breathe on a target enemy unit to thin out large numbers of troops, use the Egg to target high AS troops, or use the Dragon's breath on low-AS hordes. If she charges, she can give herself S6 (S7 with Power of Darkness or Wyssan's Wildform) and a one-off armour-ignoring 2d6 S2 hits from the breath weapon in addition to the Dragon's attacks. She will also be hard to kill, for one turn at least, as she'll have T6 (possibly higher with Beasts magic) and a 4++ save.

One Light in the Darkness by Haagrum
Supreme Sorceress – 320points plus mount
Lore – Light or Life
Talisman of Preservation, Screaming Blade, Potion of Toughness, and either Dispel Scroll or Sacrificial Dagger as appropriate
Haagrum wrote: This Sorceress joins a unit to provide combat buffs and for protection against enemy fire. Light Magic provides a useful toolkit of spells for us to use, while Life is... well, Life. Especially useful in an anvil unit, with enough protection to survive at least one round of combat thanks to the Potion of Toughness. Furthermore, she makes her entire unit cause Fear, which provides them with some additional protection and may cause a failed test in the enemy to make winning combat much easier.

Subset – High Beastmaster

untitled by Vilicate
High Beastmaster – 380 points
Cloak of Twillight, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone
Vilicate wrote: He's got a 1+ re-rollable save plus the 3++ against shooting and spells.

The Big Game Hunter by Prince daerlythe
High Beastmaster – 395 points
Scourgerunner Chariot, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation
Prince daerlythe wrote: This character is made to be able to hunt down any single models, which tend to be large and physically powerful but with only moderate saves. Monsters, ridden monsters, Monstrous Cav. Anything that is alone or in a small unit is subject to his wrath. Often best accompanied by minimum 1 DE Hydra or Kharibdyss to maximise efficiency
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Reserved

Confirmed Hero Builds

Subset - Unit

Build Name by suggestor
Unit - X Points
Equipment
suggestor wrote: sample quote
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Hypothetical Hero Builds

Subset - Master

Warmachine Hunter by Scyloc and Hads
Master - 98 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Lance, Dark Steed
Scyloc wrote: At 100 pts, he is an annoying, very mobile, 1+ as character with enough CC punch to handle enemy chaff, warmachines and many chariots (if he gets the charge). He can even break some monsters on the charge. And in a pinch he can be used as a redirector since he is only 100 pts.

durable bsb on foot by Scyloc
Master – 153 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Sword of Might
Description: Simple BSB bonuses, Strength 5 magic attacks, 1+ Armor Save, rerolling failed saves.

Cannon-resistant Pegasus Master by Scyloc
Master - 186 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, Dark Pegasus
Scyloc wrote: 1+ Armor Save, 4+ Ward Save, 2+ Ward Save to avoid first hit

Alternate build by Scyloc
Master - 184 points
Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Lance, Armor of Fortune
Scyloc wrote: 1+ Armor Save, 4+ Ward Save

Construct Hunter by T.D.
Master - 132 points + mount
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Chillblade
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, Auto-wounds
Rationale: Mobile master to take on Constructs/Phoenix/Monsters

MC Hunter by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Obsidian Blade
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, Ignore Armour
Rationale: Mobile master to assist your army in dealing with Monsterous Cavalry

Cavalry Captain by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Sword of Might, Talisman of Endurance
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 5+ Ward, +1S
Rationale: Beef up your bus

Cavalry Lt I by T.D.
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Sword of Might, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon
T.D. wrote: Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, reroll armour save, 6+ ward (inc unit) against war machines, +1S
Rationale: Beef up your bus whilst protecting it a little bit

Ben "Break 'em Now" by MangoPunch
Master - 144 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Sword of Antiheroes, Potion of Strength, Cold One Mount
MangoPunch wrote: 1+ armor save, huge strength, with ASF and extra attacks great for challenges against death stars, or that's the hope.

untitled by Dalamar
Master - 205 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shrieking Blade, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Dark Pegasus, Battle Standard
Dalamar wrote: Shrieking blade for Shroud of Despair shenanigans.

untitled by Omnichron
Master - 193 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Lance, Cloak of Twilight, Dark Pegasus, Battle Standard
Omnichron wrote: 1+ armor, 3++ against missiles and magic, S6 d3 KB wounds on charge.

The Gladiator by Prince daerlythe
Master – 157 points
Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Battle Standard, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Potion of Strength
Prince daerlythe wrote: Mount of choice optional. Ideal on foot for leading a group of Sisters into battle against stronger foes. Use the potion when facing a strong character to take him out with 4 ASF S8 MP attacks.

The Torpedo by Entreri Bloodletter
Master – 152 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Dawnstone, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield, Dark Steed
Entreri Bloodletter wrote: Allows for either one super powerful round of CC, perfect against steamtanks or other very high T creatures, or can prolong the pain with two rounds of at least S6 attacks. Perfect either on his own or to add combat punch to a fast cav unit. Halberd can be substituted for the lance if you want additional combat power after the first round but get reduced to a 2+ save instead .

untitled by T.D.
Master – 132 points + mount
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Potion of Strength, Warrior Bane, Dawnstone
T..D. wrote: Rationale: Cheap monster hunter

Key Combat BSB by Scyloc
Master – 155 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Strength, Dawnstone, Battle Standard
Scyloc wrote: 1+ RR Save on foot with Potion of Strength to take out/weaken key enemy unit/target or add CR, when needed most.

alternate build by Scyloc
Master – 171 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Potion of Strength, Dawnstone, Lance, Dark Steed
Scyloc wrote: 1+ RR save, charmed shield for negating a cannonball if you fail look out sir, Potion of Strength for S7 attacks in key 2nd round combat, or even alpha strike S9 charge.

Trickster Support BSB by Scyloc
Master – 155 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, Warrior Bane, Battle Standard
Scyloc wrote: 1+ RR armor save on foot, S4 magical attacks to take out ethereals, with excellent support utility as explained above. Allround support character.

alternate build by Scyloc
Master – 167 points
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Other Tricksters Shard, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Halberd/Great Weapon, Dark Steed
Scyloc wrote:1+ RR armor save, 2++ vs fire, Halberd/GW for prolonged combats, and Other Tricksters Shard to buff combat potential vs ward save characters/units.

Bloodwrack Master by T.D.
Master – 132 points
Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Helm of Discord, Other Tricksters Shard, Luckstone
T.D. wrote: Rationale: Combo with Bloodwrack Ld penalty; enemy in b2b with unit tests to lose attacks and be hit automatically, 1+ AS (one reroll), forces enemy to reroll successful wards.

Ironhard Mantimaster by T.D.
Master – 306points
Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Luckstone, Potion of Strength, Lance, Manticore w/Ironhard Skin
T.D. wrote:Rationale: Double the Manti's (combine with Stealth MantiLord), double the fun. S6 charge (S9 with PoS), 2+ AS rerollable, 2+ Ward vs first shooting attack. Mount 4+ AS.

Ironhard Mantimaster BSB by T.D.
Master – 306points
Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Lance, Manticore w/Ironhard Skin
T.D. wrote:Rationale: Double the Manti's, double the fun. S6 charge, 2+ AS, 4+ Ward, 2+ Ward vs first shooting attack. Mount 4+ AS.

Subset - Death Hag

Can Opener by Flash29
Death Hag - 365 points
Rune of Khaine, Obsidian Blade, Cauldron of Blood
Flash29 wrote:Helps with 1+ saves, especially characters, and her points aren't lost if she dies.

Subset - Sorceress

Shrouded Wanderer by Burizan
Sorceress – 175 points
Lore – Dark Magic
Level 2, Tome of Furion, Terrifying Mask of Eee!
Burizan wrote: At a budget, drop the level 2.

1) Choose Shroud of Despair (if not ITP)
2) Use one of 3+ units of dark riders/warlocks to maneuver into a safe spot, a 12" centre of trouble (between BSB+General if possible)
3) Attempt to cast Shroud of Despair (your opponent will dispel at all costs, and won't wanna risk an IF - they might divide/ scatter his army)
4) If it gets through or IFs cause some Ld tests and run them all down or off the board. If not take advantage of the disruption and penetrate with your main mage.

Spitefire Sorceress by T.D.
Sorceress – 175 points
Lore – optional
Level 2, The Gem of Spite, Opal Amulet, Dark Steed
T.D. wrote: Deep strike sorceress for combining with Warlocks. Inflicts S6 hits on enemy casters when she miscasts, with possibility of draining enemy dispel pool. 4+ ward vs first wound. Can break off from Warlocks for suicide spellcasting.

Dark Battle Princess by Daeron
Sorceress – 160 points
Lore – Dark Magic
Level 2, Talisman of Preservation
Daeron wrote: One spell to be Power of Darkness.
The aim is to put her in a combat unit that could benefit from the strength bonus, like a Black Guard unit, Sisters of Battle or Corsairs. Witch Elves are possible, but I'm not sure I'd take the risk. Until she reaches combat, the unit serves as a bunker for whatever second spell she offers. The second level could be dropped, but it adds some versatility to get her that second spell.
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

The Warmachine hunter / redirecter

Master on Dark steed w HA, SDC, Sh, Lance (98 Pts)
Possible additions:
5 pt Luckstone (for 1+ RR save once, often an "extra wound"),
5 pt dragonbane gem (2+ ward vs fire, to annoy flaming banner units, protect against skillcannons etc),
6 Pts dragonhelm + Halberd (same as dragonbane gem, now with fixed S5 rather than S6 on charge),
Shooting options:
5 pt Repeater crossbow, 10 pt brace of handbows

At 100 pts, he is an annoying, very mobile, 1+ as character with enough CC punch to handle enemy chaff, warmachines and many chariots (if he gets the charge). He can even break some monsters on the charge. And in a pinch he can be used as a redirector since he is only 100 pts.

Good value for money, even if not a dominating character.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Posting a couple of obvious builds that i will not take credit for:

306 Pts, Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus, HA, SDC, Lance, Cloak of Twillight, Dawnstone, Spell shield
(Strong charge potential S6 d3Ws, 1+ RR as, 3++ ward vs shooting, 2++ ward vs spells)

a variation

302 Pts, Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus, HA, SDC, Sh, Cloak of Twillight, Dawnstone, Sword of Might (as above but with only 3++ vs spells, but instead S5 magical attacks)

360 Pts, Supreme Sorceres Lv4 on Dark Pegasus (Dark Lore)
Cloak of Twillight, Tome of Furion, Obsidian Trinket (3++ ward vs shooting, 2++ ward vs spells, Tome to select Soulstealer / Shroud of Despair / Word of Pain)

Durable BSB on foot
153 Pts, Master BSB w HA, SDC, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might
Last edited by Scyloc on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hads
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hads »

Hero Builds:
I really like the Dark rider noble spam:
Noble on horse, heavy armor, sea dragon cloak, shield and lance is 98 points. You can fill many of these as AS1+ redirectors, machine hunters or to kill support units. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they also have vanguard, so they can be at the enemy's back on turn 1.
Cut him. Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Cannon durable Pegasus Heroes:

186 Pts, Master on Dark Pegasus w HA, SDC, Lance, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield
(1+ as, 4++ ward, 2++ to ignore first hit)

184 Pts, Master on Dark Pegasus w SDC, Sh, Lance, Armor of Fortune
(1+ as, 4++ ward)
Hads
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hads »

Scyloc wrote:The Warmachine hunter / redirecter

Master on Dark steed w HA, SDC, Sh, Lance (98 Pts)
Possible additions:
5 pt Luckstone (for 1+ RR save once, often an "extra wound"),
5 pt dragonbane gem (2+ ward vs fire, to annoy flaming banner units, protect against skillcannons etc),
6 Pts dragonhelm + Halberd (same as dragonbane gem, now with fixed S5 rather than S6 on charge),
Shooting options:
5 pt Repeater crossbow, 10 pt brace of handbows

At 100 pts, he is an annoying, very mobile, 1+ as character with enough CC punch to handle enemy chaff, warmachines and many chariots (if he gets the charge). He can even break some monsters on the charge. And in a pinch he can be used as a redirector since he is only 100 pts.

Good value for money, even if not a dominating character.

OMG we did wrote that at same time.
Cut him. Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Skaven Slaves have been :killed: killed now, two points have replaced all skaven slaves.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

All right, not a problem. Adding builds up to this point.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

All below = maxed out magic items (100 Lords/50 Masters)

Lords

Phoenix Hunting Lord - "Ace Rimmer"
Dreadlord, full mundane, mount of your choice
Chillblade, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Bane Gem
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, 2+ Versus flaming, Auto-wounds
Rationale: Kill ultra tough things, survive, annoy flaming things too (imagine this versus K-Daaii :twisted:)

Armour Breaking Lord
as above but Sword of Obsidian
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, 2+ Versus flaming, Deletes armour
Rationale: Kill 1+ AS things, survive, annoy flaming things as well

Challenging Lord - "Lord Flashheart"
Ogre Blade, Black Amulet
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, successful wards rebound wounds in challenges, S6
Rationale: Kill enemy heroes and deadly single monsters (i.e. Bloodthirsters, DragonLords)

Nemesis
Ogre Blade, Other Tricksters Shard, Talisman of Preservation
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, enemies in b2b re-rolls successful wards, S6
Rationale: Kill warded enemy characters

Deathstar Hunting Lord
Dreadlord, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
Sword of Anti-Heroes, Glittering Scale Armour, Talisman of Preservation
-> either on foot, or mounted in a unit of Dark Riders, Cold One Knights or Warlocks.
Abilities: 3+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward, -1 to hit h-t-h, +1S and +1A for each enemy character in b2b with unit
Rationale: When your opponent tends to employ deathstars

Deathstar Challenging Lord
Dreadlord, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
Sword of Anti-Heroes, Black Amulet, Dragonhelm
-> either on foot, or mounted in a unit of Dark Riders, Cold One Knights or Warlocks.
Abilities: 1+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward; 2+ vs flaming, successful 4+ wards rebound wounds in challenges, +1S and +1A for each enemy character in b2b with unit
Rationale: When your opponent tends to employ deathstars and you want to challenge out his most deadly character

You Shall Not Pass
Dreadlord, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Dark Pegasus or Dark Steed
Crown of Command, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Biting Blade or Shrieking Blade or Lance
Abilities: 1+ Armour Save, 4+ Ward; 2+ vs flaming, Stubborn, either extra -1 AS or cause fear or +2S charge
Rationale: Roadblock build

Masters

Construct Hunting Master
Master, full mundane, mount of your choice
Chillblade
-> if on Dark Steed or Cold One can be added to unit for protection
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, Auto-wounds
Rationale: Mobile master to take on Constructs/Phoenix/Monsters

MC Hunting Master
as above but Sword of Obsidian
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, deletes AS
Rationale: Mobile master to assist your army in dealing with Monsterous Cavalry

Cavalry Captain
Master, full mundane, Dark Steed or Cold One
Sword of Might, Talisman of Endurance
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, 5+ Ward, +1S
Rationale: Beef up your bus

Cavalry Lt I
Master, full mundane, Cold One or Dark Steed
Sword of Might, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, reroll armour save, 6+ ward (inc unit) against war machines, +1S
Rationale: Beef up your bus whilst protecting it a little bit

Cavalry Lt II
Master, full mundane, Dark Steed or Dark Pegasus
Sword of Might, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness
Abilities: 2+ Armour Save, reroll armour save, +1S, one use Itp + devastating charge
Rationale: A solo hunter, leading from the front!

N.B. Obvious builds; not trying to 'claim them/name them' (although I hope fellow late 80s/early 90s U.K. comedy fans will agree with two of the monikers above :mrgreen:), but thought I'd contribute to this "armoury"

Edit: Updated after comments below. Thanks for pointing that out guys; thought you could choose to use your lance when charging. But BRB page 173 indeed says otherwise.
Last edited by T.D. on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am, edited 17 times in total.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Sentarr
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sentarr »

These already are some very nice builds. I especially like the Phoenix hunting lord since it's been a pain getting rid of them a number of times.

Only question i have considering your master builds is that alongside a lance you also gave him the +1S weapon. Aren't u wasting 6 points for a lance since the rules state that you have to use your magical weapon above any else?
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

Sentarr wrote:Only question i have considering your master builds is that alongside a lance you also gave him the +1S weapon. Aren't u wasting 6 points for a lance since the rules state that you have to use your magical weapon above any else?

Correct, unless your magic weapon is actually a lance or you are of bretonnian provenience, you must not use your lance on the charge.
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Master w/Battle Standard Bearer, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Ironcurse Icon, Sea Dragon Cloak
BSB with 1+ RR AR 2+ WS against fire
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Master I used last game was:

Master
Battle Standard
Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Shrieking Blade

Shrieking blade for Shroud of Despair shenanigans.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Canadianguy
Dark Rider

Post by Canadianguy »

Suicide mage, tome purple sun on steed in warlocks. Down a flank and 6 dice ps.
More a theory hammer thing.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You can't pick Purple Sun with Tome, you can pick Black Horror though (but on level one wizard it will fly 2-10")
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Post by Taijushue »

tome only works with dark magic
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sentarr wrote:I especially like the Phoenix hunting lord since it's been a pain getting rid of them a number of times.

I like this guy too. On a Peg he should be able to take on either variety and be back in time for breakfast.

On a Manticore or Dragon, after warming up with a spot of Phoeni slaying, he is ready to take on Griffon and Dragon riders!

Given the amount of Monsters in the game, he looks like a good choice for an all-comers list to boot.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

i believe the first DL build was first supplied by Setomidor
(spell shield, dawnstone, Twilight, lance, full mundane on peg)
and he named it the 'Dirty Harry' build
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I have a few that is kinda nice and is mostly buildt towards the 1+ armored ward WoC lists out there. As I use the twilight cloak for my BSB build, I won't be using it on lord builds (unless I find one that I think is too good to not take).

The Ward Hunter
Dreadlord on Dark Steed (Cold one can be used, but lose mobility) that is in a unit (for look out sir).
- Giant Blade
- Dawnstone
- The other tricksters shard
- Full Mundane (- shield if on cold one)
= S7, Reroll opponents ward save, Rerollable 1+ armor.

Having S7 means that 1+ armor is suddenly 5+, with reroll of ward saves as well. With rerollable saves you should have enough to take care of most problems before they get to strike you and you should be able to survive retaliation. The weakness to this one is that he'll die quickly against cannons and such if he hasn't got a unit that can give him look out sir.

The alternate build I have that is made mostly for dragon and to survive:

"Immortal" Dragonlord
Dreadlord on Dragon
- Armor of Destiny
- Dawnstone
- The other tricksters shard
- Full Mundane (- Heavy armor)
- Lance
= 1+ rerollalbe armor, 4++ ward, Reroll opponents ward save.

This guy is REALLY hard to take down in close combat, and he will definitivly rip most opponents to shreds in any challenge. Attacks can either be done against his rerollable armor save (which means 4+/4+/4+ againts S6), or against the dragon (T6 and enough wounds to survive a lot). Even WoC characters will have respect for this one. The obvious weakness is as for most dragonlords, cannons.

The BSB that works very well for me after two matches is this one:
Master on Pegasus, BSB (optional to have BSB)
- Twilight Cloak
- Full Mundane
- Lance
= 1+ armor, 3++ against missiles and magic, S6 d3 KB wounds on charge.

I guess others have used this as well.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Canadianguy
Dark Rider

Post by Canadianguy »

My bad.
What about shroud in a list with Morathi or a ss on peg with dark.
Double shroud options in the backfield.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Currently updating information...

Holy crud, you guys are busy already. :shock: