Chariot tactics discussion

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Chariot tactics discussion

Post by Calisson »

Actually, Bolt Throwers do not benefit from the COB's rerolls.
The thrower is a different model than the crew (contrary to COC/scourge/cavalry/shards/sorceress'spells/monted characters/you name it...).
RAW, there is no way to have RBT reroll their wounds.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Calisson wrote:Actually, Bolt Throwers do not benefit from the COB's rerolls.
The thrower is a different model than the crew (contrary to COC/scourge/cavalry/shards/sorceress'spells/monted characters/you name it...).
RAW, there is no way to have RBT reroll their wounds.

Anybody ever tell you that you are very inconsistent in how you interpret the rules?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Calisson only seems inconsistent because he likes to approach confusing rules from all possible angles until a consensus is reached.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Gidean wrote:Anybody ever tell you that you are very inconsistent in how you interpret the rules?
:?

We had 5 pages of debate here: The Cauldron: What does it really bring?
The surprise was to discover that, reading the exact wording of the rules,
- Strength of Khaine provides rerolls not only for attacks benefitting from MP, but for all the attacks made by whole models benefitting from MP
as a consequence,
- SoK rerolls mounts' attacks (mount & rider = single model, including character on monsters), including stomp & superstomp
- SoK rerolls chariots' attacks (cause the crew is part of a single model), including impact hits,
- SoK rerolls spells's attacks (cause the sorceress has MP)
- SoK rerolls shooting attacks (cause the shooter has MP)... except RBT (cause for RBT, the weapon is on a different model than the one who has MP).

Since we established that, I believe I have been very consistent in recalling what is RAW.

Besides that, I recommend not playing RAW, and rerolling only wounds made by attacks which would benefit directly from MP.
I believe to have been consistent with that recommendation as well.

Blame RAW! ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Calisson wrote:- SoK rerolls shooting attacks (cause the shooter has MP)... except RBT (cause for RBT, the weapon is on a different model than the one who has MP).

War Machines p. 108

The Crew

"A war machine unit comprises the machine itself, plus its crew. As the crew aren't really a combat unit, per se, we ignore them for most gaming purposes treating the war machine itself as the extent of the unit. When a war machine receives a wound, remove a crew model. Once all the crew have been removed, the war machine itself is removed from play."

The crew are simply wound markers for the war machine unit. It is all one model essentially like a chariot. Therefore I don't see why it doesn't get the CoB's special re-roll either since the crew have it and their BS is used to fire it. But I don't want to rehash this debate. I just think it is inconsistent to give to mounts and not in this scenario.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Chariots on their own not so good.

Chariots in groups or hanging around another unit, great. In grouos, multiple charges multiple impact hits.

Supporting other units, taking out that a few guys in the back rank.

Heck I've had fun last eddition taking on Rat Ogres with a hydra chariot combo. Chariot didn't last long but he took out an ogre and gave did some damage on the other.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
kaloomte
Trainee Warrior

Post by kaloomte »

Yeah, chariots and hydras were (and I think still are) a great combo charge. Nothing wanted to get near the hydra in a hurry, especially with its chariot 'guards'. I imagine you might do the same with a k-beast/chariot combo...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

IMHO K beast and Hydr searve 2 magoc roles. The Hydra does really well at wiping out massess of troops, and K beast is really good at killing one target (his feast of bones rules means if he gets extra attacks if all of them go to the same target) and with his high Strength, perfect monster hunter.

I can see Cold one chariots with either one helping getting a few extra hits in as you will be winning combat with wound counts with either combo, and the Scourge runners weakening the enemy target before the your tanks rip it to shreds.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

Well I have 3 Cold one Chariots, 1 Chariot mount. And 2 Hydras.
This is going to be my fun list.

I'm liking the crown of command and good armour save combo to tie things up. Should I make him a BSB as well? I was thinking the BSB would allow re-rolling of stupidity tests which might be a problem when I'm wanting to do combo charges.
I'm not too scared of cannon balls becaues I got 2 monsters to block line of sight/ absorb the shot and I play with terrain.

I do have more dark elves for other lists builds but the Chariot/hydra list will be the first one painted up.
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

Making him a BSB would also help him stay in combat. Being stubborn is great but one bad role and he's running. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of this build, hope it works out for you. And I always thought Malekith on his black chariot would be a great center piece to convert up for an army.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I was looking for some tactical wisdom but had to search far, therefore getting it on first page again ;)