Damned restrictions in Germany for Dark Elves in Tournaments

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

AemKei81
Trainee Warrior

Damned restrictions in Germany for Dark Elves in Tournaments

Post by AemKei81 »

Take a look at the "Combat 8.0" restrictions for Dark Elves that are used for most tournaments in Germany. It is for 2500 points:

1. No Banner of Nagarythe
OK, I can live with that one
2. max. 10 Warlocks per unit
Well, not good, but also acceptable
3. max. 2 out of: Supreme Sorceress, Dagger, every unit Warlocks, one or more mounted (Supreme-) Sorceress with Death Magic
Ok, this is where the drama begins. Really bad for my current list as I use Warlocks, Surpreme S. and Death Lore on my L2
4. max. 3 out of: each flying Char, Chars on steed count as 0.5
Yeah, ok... No Warlockbus
5. Some useless restrictions regarding shooting (I don`t care)
6. The total number of models in the bigest unit of Light Cavalry and mounted Chars in your army must not be higher than 15
Again, no Warlockbus
7. Models with the Sea Dragon Cloak do not count as Light Cavalry any more
What???

Some more restrictions (if I read them correct): If I use Warlocks and a Death Sorceress I`m not allowed to channel any more. By the way, magic is also very restricted:
- max. 12 power dice in total (incl. dagger, channeling...)
- max. 4 casting dice per spell
- you get Look out Sir when targeted by dwellers or 13th (and some other vortex-spells)

I think I`m going to join tournaments in other countries...

What is your opinion on that? My current list can not be used any more so I have to find a new one. Does anyone have a nice idea what to do without magic and Warlocks?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Damned restrictions in Germany for Dark Elves in Tournam

Post by T.D. »

They fear us :evil:

You have to either (i) look at comp as another novel challenge to your Druchii play or (ii) play or create non-comp tournaments instead.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

They really are ridiculous restrictions, especially the SDC = No fast cavalry.

Maybe it should be taken as a compliment on Dark elf generals abilities :)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Umm... you can have a beasts supreme sorceress on a steed, 4 masters on steeds (or more if you take cold ones) and 10 warlocks in one unit. that's a warlock bus.

Then your level 2 can take dark for word of pain and you're golden.

These are some non-restrictions

The part about sea dragon cloak and fast cav is ridiculous ok (more reason to fake cold ones), but there should be little left standing after charge.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
AemKei81
Trainee Warrior

Post by AemKei81 »

Warlockbus is still possible, but they try to make it unattractive.
I used my death sorceress with her snipes to take down demon princes and vampires as I don`t see any other possibilities.

Maybe I will try lore of beasts in my next match. Should work well against Chaos.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

God, I feel your pain. I wouldn't even want to play Dark Elves if I lived in Germany.
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Not a big deal for me.

I never was a fan of Rider or Warlok Busses. :)

If i play someone with a SDC he is on foot or on a Pegasus.
AemKei81
Trainee Warrior

Post by AemKei81 »

Just wait for the new update and your Pegasus can`t fly if you use a SDC !mad!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

My list for example is not restricted at all by this :P
I'm beginning to love comp as it usually barely touches my lists but severely weakens my opponent's... Then again I like a challenge.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Dalamar wrote:My list for example is not restricted at all by this :P
I'm beginning to love comp as it usually barely touches my lists but severely weakens my opponent's... Then again I like a challenge.

Ditto. I don't think there's a single restriction in there that troubles my lists, other than possibly dropping one Dark Rider from one unit.

I don't even mind the "No Fast Cavalry" for wearing a SDC. If anything, I'd be fine with a rule stating that Fast Cavalry models lose that special rule if they have an armour save better than 4+ (or if they are joined by a model with an armour save of better than 4+). Powerful though they may be, a 1+ AS fighter pulling Fast Cavalry manoeuvers doesn't sit well with my concept of light cavalry (even in a fantasy setting), which is why I don't take Cowboy Masters.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I will be honsest and don't see all that much restrictions...
Yeah...you cannt have an optimal warlock bus....but since i don't like that anyway i'm fine.

There is one thing i even like about the restrictions
- max. 4 casting dice per spell
Finally a rule that helps me...my opponents often 6 dice the best spell there is....severly cripple my army main combat block...and take 1 point of damage from the miscast.
And i hardly have to worry about the dreaded Thirteenth anymore ;-)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I don't really mind restrictions anymore compared to what I did a few years ago. Everyone gets their biggest cheese nerfed and people have to figure out new things to field... it makes the game more interesting imo.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I like comp. these restrictions aren't bad. They stop you going overboard. If comp makes you change your list that's not a bad thing. As to the comp, They don't limit the number of masters, which I think is probably the one thing DE comp probably needs to do. My go to comp for DE would be something more like:

0-10 warlock models
0-3 masters
Something to do with death magic.
Pleased to be back
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

two tower is safe!
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

I have just seen the new restrictions yesterday and I think that was the first time I got really mad.

The SDC-restrition is just a slap in the face. Seriously, it's good, it's great, our fast cav. is superb.. but then, other armies have good stuff as well. No need to comp just everything just because Dark Elves are a good and competitive race.

The channeling restriction is another issue of the comp I just find unfair. I think it has been adopted particularly to hit Dark Elves. It does NOT affect Demon channeling and they can bring unit-casters as well.

I do know one of the organizers of combat 8.0 (He's actually one of the top 10 Players in Germany but guess what.. he's not playing Dark Elves 8) For those of you who don't know, we have a Server where every tournament in Germany is recorded and an algorythm defines a Nation-wide ranking which is quite accurate.)

... and I will see him at a tournament tomorrow.

I would have words :evil:

@Dalamar:

Unfortunatelly, your build is not possible. There is a further restriction which makes each choice a 0-3 choice. This affects characters as well. Thus, you can only build a bus with 3 Masters.

Oh, and just wait till they restrict the CoB-horde :D
teep
Slave on the Altar

Post by teep »

Hmmmm, comp...I actually don't know how I feel about comp in this day and age.
To me, it seems that the new books at least are already a bit toned down and geared up
towards something I might call "internal balance on a sunny day , plus I think scenarios
are a more elegant way of making people fielding more balanced, i.e. less filthy armies.

And I also see a problem with the general lethargy concerning the acceptance of well
known comp-packs. Combat is not the only comp format people play by in Germany
and it's not set in stone either, it is just a proposal which - in my mind - is very well
made in most places, but not throughout: I dont like the "4 PD max per spell", the
fact that one cannot enter buildings and so forth.
So, what to do then? Modify, adjust and run a tourney with a different rules pack :)

Ah, and I'm glad that the SDC restriction is declared as a "house rule" - so there is hope
that not all of the bigger tourneys over here will subcribe to that "nonsense" :mrgreen:
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

teep wrote:Hmmmm, comp...I actually don't know how I feel about comp in this day and age.
To me, it seems that the new books at least are already a bit toned down and geared up
towards something I might call "internal balance on a sunny day , plus I think scenarios
are a more elegant way of making people fielding more balanced, i.e. less filthy armies.

And I also see a problem with the general lethargy concerning the acceptance of well
known comp-packs. Combat is not the only comp format people play by in Germany
and it's not set in stone either, it is just a proposal which - in my mind - is very well
made in most places, but not throughout: I dont like the "4 PD max per spell", the
fact that one cannot enter buildings and so forth.
So, what to do then? Modify, adjust and run a tourney with a different rules pack :)

Ah, and I'm glad that the SDC restriction is declared as a "house rule" - so there is hope
that not all of the bigger tourneys over here will subcribe to that "nonsense" :mrgreen:

If i look at the rulebooks of the last edition i can understand the need for restrictions.

But the 8th Edition Army books are much more balanced. But it seems to be more restricted. It looks like those people from Combat dont try to blanace the game anymore they just Nerf everything thats a Hard matchup.
"look this guys just played a hard unit and won.. lets ban this" :)

I might be wrong but for me it looks like that. And im not pissed because the restriction did hit my list. I didnt play Warlok busses.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Its easyere to comp the deal with. That is why comp is popular, as many people don't know when to stop. Look at the ETC.

And German comp is hard core since 7th ed.

On the flip side there are some idiotic rules, and units, so people try to manage it.
Also known as Kanadian
Murphy'sLawyer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Murphy'sLawyer »

The no SDC on fast cav is silly but honestly none of those effect my lists in any way. It looks like someone loved the fast cav buses in the area making some people complain. But there are so many competitive lists the DE can make throwing all the limits on Warlock buses still leaves a lot open.
MexicanNinja
Shade

Post by MexicanNinja »

What I find amusing about all the restrictions is that you just can't do a warlock bus. That is funny. That's really the only thing that it is restricting. I have a cav army that meets all those restrictions and still stomps.

Also, they don't care about 50 executioners/CoB/level 4 life wizard combo?
Kirthan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kirthan »

I can understand why they restricted the Banner of naggarythe. My main dwarf opponent really dont like it when I take it on the field. :)
AemKei81
Trainee Warrior

Post by AemKei81 »

Here is the rest of the restrictions:

2500 points
- Max 12 casting dice per magic phase
- Max 2 dice in addition to the generated (incl. channeling)
- Max 4 dice per spell
- No roll on a spell from shadow, metal, death, heaven or life can get a higher bonus that +4
- Max 80 models with shooting, war machines count as 10
- Max 3 models with template weapons (incl. cannons and breath weapons)
- Max 45 models per unit
- units with 9-11 ppm = max 40 per unit
- units with 12-14 ppm = max 35 per unit
- units with 15-18 ppm = max 30 per unit
- units with 19-29 ppm = max 20 per unit
- units with 30-39 ppm = max 12 per unit
- above 40 points = max 9 per unit

Now it becomes really complicated:
The first and third magic level on units that have spells from the lore of death (and Warlocks) count as a generated power dice

Can anyone tell my they do such a sh**??
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Option 1 - vote with your feet and don't go to the tournament. Writing them a polite letter letting them know why wouldn't hurt either.

Option 2 - change your list

Option 3 - go start your own tournament so you can play with the rules you want to play with! (it's actually not that hard!)
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

+1 to the above.

Without seeing the individual restrictions to other armies, I am not sure how harsh Dark Elves have been treated in comparison.
The weirdest one for me is still the SDC restriction for fast cavalry.

The additional restrictions you just listed above, other than the magic, which hits everyone pretty equally, aren't actually too bad and there is nothing that would really bother me. I would just need to rethink the magic phase a little.
Kirthan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kirthan »

What about dwarfs?

My regular opponent plays dwarfs and when the book came out fielded a couple times the anvil but it did nearly nothing.