Black Amulet : An idea so daft it has to work.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Shearov
Trainee Warrior

Black Amulet : An idea so daft it has to work.

Post by Shearov »

Drawing up the blueprints for my new list, I had an idea, one that seems to spell disaster but maybe could work.

I will have 20 BG FC (I still have really good success with them) with the Razor Standard.

I am also going to have a lvl 4 SS on Dark magic, and heres where my brain over thinks things.

If I put the SS in the BG, then I can get PoD which would be a lovely +1 strength, but this would no doubt leave her with close combat to deal with. On the march towards close combat hopefully I could get one or two soul stealers off (maybe take ToF instead of Dispel Scroll to make sure spell is got), and gain a wound or two.

Then when in combat, challenge with the SS who has the Black Amulet (it's only a bit more than ToP), she should have a st 4 attack, but also a 50% chance of bouncing a wound back, against a unit champ this could be deadly, against a character, she could weaken it, but would hopefully still be alive. This would also mean that no character is attacking the unit, so more chance to win combat and win well. If in 7X3 formation (with champ), that's 20 st 5 AP hits, rerolling to hit and Muderous Prowess. Also adding a bit of surprise maybe throwing your opponent a bit.

After typing the above is doesn't seem as great as I thought, but I don't think it needs rediculous dice, and if Soul Stealer isn't rolled / not looking like a good idea in the deployment, she doesn't have to get deployed in BG, and you've only wasted 15 points on the 4++.

Everything seems to be yelling don't do it, but I just can't help the feeling that this might just somehow work.

What's everyones feelings on this?
Dilapidated
Slave on the Altar

Re: Black Amulet : An idea so daft it has to work.

Post by Dilapidated »

It is usually not worth it, sacrificing your SS to kill one of the opponents characters, but it can be fun and if you use the Talisman of Preservation on another of your characters, The Black amulet is the only way to give the SS a 4++.

Last time I used it on a SS though, I killed A Great Unclean One over 2 rounds of combat. Or I should say the Daemon killed it self on the Black amulet :) My SS died to of course.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

That seems a good idea.
Soul Stealer isn't that hard to get for a SS, and PoD is granted.
An alternative idea that I've seen in D.net is to have several Lvl2, all of them getting the two sig spells.
Lose one or two, who cares? And together, they would make a deadly shooting unit before melee, and a deadly +2S unit in melee.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yup. My main concern with this idea is the cost of a Supreme Sorceress, only to have her end up in close combat. Luckily Dark Magic has some (very good) spells that can still work in close combat, so it can work. But as a strategy... hmm...

I'd rather rely on a level 1 or level 2 to employ them as a cheap magical upgrade. A level 2 offers just about enough magic points for a 4+ ward, should that be needed. Or you could go nuts on Tome of Furion and go for a Word of Pain or Shroud of Despair. Combined with S5, AP Black Guards you're probably going to eat through most units. Because of ASF, you can wonder which enemies will be able to kill your Sorceress first.
Keep in mind you can keep a Sorceress relatively safe on the side of a unit. "Relative" as you'll need the initiative of the charge to ensure it works.
But suppose you face a Horde, then there's no reason not to match their formation with 12 wide models. You're stubborn at it benefits from the BG's two attacks. You could produce 31 BG attacks at S5 with AP. I don't think many units will confidently fight that. Even Skullcrushers will suffer 5 to 9 wounds before they get to attack... and if they lose 2 models, it's unlikely they'll still be able to target the Sorceress.

It's all a gamble, but a cheap one for a level1 or level2, and an expensive one for a level 4 :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Soulstealer looks good on paper, but found in game it was pretty bad. :(
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The one time this trick worked for me is having my unit of spears flank charged by a lord of change.
Supreme sorceress challenges and the demon together with her die to the demon's thunderstomp.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

This idea has been around, I think Dalamar came up with it, didn't he?

I adopted it for my fluffy Chubby Bertha list. The idea is to have a 'chubby' sorceress on a donkey ( dark steed) as a model. Chubby, because she ate all the souls from soulstealer. Then, add the OTS and sowrd of might. Another Sorceress wit Beasts to get wild beast on her :)

Unfortunatelly I have not yet had the gits tor try it out.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

My present list (not tested yet) has a level 4 on foot in a unit of execs armed with black amulet and sword of anti-heroes. Plus mandatory power of darkness signature.
7th edition army book:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Dalamar wrote:My present list (not tested yet) has a level 4 on foot in a unit of execs armed with black amulet and sword of anti-heroes. Plus mandatory power of darkness signature.

Interesting load out of SS. Hadn't considered using her that offensively on foot, interested to hear how the list does when you get to test it.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Plan is not to take challenges from champions, but against characters it will be at least 2S4 attacks, more likely S5 so not too terrible. With cauldron buff that's 3 attacks. At S5 that equals most hero level fighters. And black amulet on top.
7th edition army book:

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Lot of loving for PoD here. But you could just go beasts and then cast wild form. Means you can keep the sorceress out of the unit. But if you wanted to leave her in the unit with the BA then she'd benefit from the other beasts spells too. Savage beasts, transformation, pelt. All would work better than banking on SS or dark in general. Plus wyssans and makes the unit T4 and isn't gonna do wounds to your caster
Pleased to be back