Power Stones/Scrolls...anyone use them?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Power Stones/Scrolls...anyone use them?

Post by Lion of flanders »

Hello All:

I'm working on army lists and it seems at first review that I don't see power stones/power scrolls being used in lists (the ones I have seen anyway).

Is this the case? Are they rarely used, and if so what is the rationale? Seems like they would be useful for the odd 3-4 dice WOM roll.

Thoughts?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Schmelf
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Power Stones/Scrolls...anyone use them?

Post by Schmelf »

Greetings,
I've taken both of these items in the past in friendly games and this is what I can glean about their use:
Power Scroll: I use it on one of the #6 spells if I think that I need to push the spell through or if it could have a devastating effect. The type of list that I would include this in is a double level 4 list at 3k+ points so that if I ended up losing my wizard to the miscast then my casting and magic defense aren't butchered.
Power Stone: The way I see this one is a worse version of the Power Scroll, as it is just throwing two more dice in to seemingly provoke an irresistible force, which the Power Scroll seems to simply do better. In addition, if the spell isn't cast with IF then your opponent can simply scroll it and make this into 20 points for little gain.
Dragonarmy
Warrior

Post by Dragonarmy »

Yes. I think both items are great, but usually take a second spot behind the dispel scroll. The problem is that I prefer to spend the points on Warlocks instead of taking second caster and getting, and thus a second arcane item. If I took a second caster, I would probably take one of these items.

The most interesting way I have heard it used is on lvl 2 dark mage in an infantry unit who can also cast power of darkness. This way there is even greater opportunity to produce extra dice.
Remydon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Remydon »

This was actually just used against me. Skaven player drew out all my dispell dice on dreaded 13th, then ate two warp stones and used a power scroll to get plague off on my witch elves with two dice. Killed 19 of them that way. ( felt bad until the 5 that were left + cauldron and assassin took out 25 storm vermin.)
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I've considered taking them, but normally opt to use the Sacrificial Dagger. Given the liberal amount of PD, and the fact that we can toss six of them.. it just doesn't seem worth taking (for me, that is). I'd be likely to take one in a magic-heavy list though would be hard pressed to take it over a Dispel Scroll and the SD.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I hardly even use them when playing with my Dark Elves...
I have on occasion used them when using a friends Skaven list... and for the spells they use the Power Scroll is a god send.

Example...having already lost my dispel scroll to stop a dreaded 13th that was cast without IF.
Next turn..I use all my dispell dice to stop Wither and Plague....he then power scroll to cast Dreaded 13th on a unit Black Guard....wiping all 20 of them in one turn...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

My main issue is that I love running with just one Sorceress and so I'm often limited to that one arcane item, which is preferably a dispel scroll. Though I have always looked at these other scrolls like.. yummie.. got to try that some day! :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I consider a dispel scroll to be a crutch in my game. A crutch that I still use, but a crutch nonetheless. I think that the book of Ashur (+1 to cast and dispel) is more nuanced and effective -- Espeicially with Hakarti's blessing -- giving +6 to cast dark magic with a level 4. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough for this yet. So I run a level 4 with dispel scroll and some warlocks.

More experience and I think that the Book of Ashur will be superior. I just need the balls to throw away my crutch.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

70 points for the Book of Ashur though is a lot. No points left for any kind of protection for your level 4
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Forumite
Dark Rider

Post by Forumite »

I´ve used the Power Stone a few times, it gives me another boosted fireball at the end of a long magic phase. Arcane Item slots isn´t a problem if you bring three lvl 2 wizards. It´s still a second pick after Dispel Scroll. About which to take between Power Stone and Power Scroll, I think the Power Stone is better, it eliminates the risk of failing to cast due to a 1 or 2 total result even if you start with just 1 PD, you can boost it and a higher casting value is harder to dispel. The Power Scroll doesn´t change the PD/DD balance so if you want to use it then you need to draw dispel dice with another spell first.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I don't take them. But I run Dark magic, and the casting values on that are stupid easy to make with a level 4 with the exception of the boosted Black Horror and Doom Bolt, but you can't use the scroll on boosted spells so never mind that.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

I've used the power stone with a modicum of success. It's best if you've drawn out their dispel dice, then with 1-2 dice left you can get off a reasonably strong spell at the very end of the magic phase... Wyssan's anyone?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Dragon9 wrote:I don't take them. But I run Dark magic, and the casting values on that are stupid easy to make with a level 4 with the exception of the boosted Black Horror and Doom Bolt, but you can't use the scroll on boosted spells so never mind that.

Is that in a FAQ?
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yes it is. Power Scrolls can only be used on the unboosted level of a spell.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16