BG or Executioners with CoB

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

BG or Executioners with CoB

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Hi guys - I was comparing the two special infantry blocks I can put out and was wondering to get a bit of advice on which direction to go in. I'm planning on running a double CoB list, 30 WE, FC and Banner of Armour Piercing in one with the BSB Hag, second CoB in another block of infantry with SS.

So far I've been leaning towards BG - they're 3 points more expensive, but the extra attack, Immune to Psych, Stubborn, +1 Leadership and re-rolls to hit, as well as re-rolls to wound with the CoB seem to be massive bonuses in any combat.

Executioners are cheaper so if I manage to trim a few points elsewhere, as 2 Cauldrons takes up all my Heroes allowance, I may be able to field a PegLord, plus they have Killing Blow.

I have 30 BG/Executioners on sprues and haven't decided which way to go yet :P any thoughts guys??
Burizan
Beastmaster

Re: BG or Executioners with CoB

Post by Burizan »

Generally I'm more of a fan of executioners, though if you're set on double cauldron BG make sense as they benefit more.

Make sure you pack an AP banner to tackle that pesky 1+ AS.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Execs are also Ld 9 now
Truly These are the End Times ...
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

If you are going the infantry route, I find BG much stronger than Executioners. On paper, it looks the other way around, but in practise, the rerolls are just too crucial to give up, which is where Executioners lack. BG are able to blend infantry and can threaten armoured units if they have the Razor Standard on them. Stubborn is also important, although I wish they weren't ITP because not being able to flee is a bit of a weakness. Realistically, BG are really strong, they are just overcosted by a couple of points each.
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Thats a really big game if you can get 2 CoB..
Whats 550 points Hero Choice if they are naked.

But i have the feeling that a CoB in such a block is kinda a waste. What does it bring to them? 6++ and 5++ against magic.
some more s3 and some s4 attacks, Terror and Inpact hit if they attack. for 300 points. I dont know. Execs dont need the reroll on all wounds special rule most of the time. But its kinda handy for BG..
But for a Horde Black guard with Hag on CoB its hell of points.
Im not even sure if they are much better then a Witch elve block with CoB.
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

So do you guys think I should switch the razor standard from the WE over to BG? The way I've been trying to play it is giving the WE the banner means they can dent some armoured units slightly, like saurus, swordmasters etc, and trying to get power of darkness off on the BG to bring them to S5.

It's 2400 points, 1 CoB is naked, the other is the BSB putting me at 575 points for heroes. This is topped with a level 4 SS on foot in the BG with 5++, MR 2 and dispel scroll.

This is why I've been trying to weigh it all up...although probably should have done before buying the second cauldron :P the thing is D6+1 S6 impact hits is nothing to be ignored against any opponent and the ward save, even though it's not amazing, is better than their 5+ armour. I think I've decided on BG - more attacks and the re-rolls to hit are a massive bonus in my eyes, even with the points. I think they're gonna end up being like another block of WE except they'll have some armour, fewer attacks but at a higher strength. Means my opponent has to focus on 2 hordes, instead of doing his best to whittle down 1
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

TheSupremePatriarch wrote:So do you guys think I should switch the razor standard from the WE over to BG? The way I've been trying to play it is giving the WE the banner means they can dent some armoured units slightly, like saurus, swordmasters etc, and trying to get power of darkness off on the BG to bring them to S5.

It's 2400 points, 1 CoB is naked, the other is the BSB putting me at 575 points for heroes. This is topped with a level 4 SS on foot in the BG with 5++, MR 2 and dispel scroll.

This is why I've been trying to weigh it all up...although probably should have done before buying the second cauldron :P the thing is D6+1 S6 impact hits is nothing to be ignored against any opponent and the ward save, even though it's not amazing, is better than their 5+ armour. I think I've decided on BG - more attacks and the re-rolls to hit are a massive bonus in my eyes, even with the points. I think they're gonna end up being like another block of WE except they'll have some armour, fewer attacks but at a higher strength. Means my opponent has to focus on 2 hordes, instead of doing his best to whittle down 1

Ill do that with an alternative version of Dalamars two tower list. I have the CoB in the witches and the bloodwhreck shrine in the Execs. works really good and its cheaper. you have more points for other stuff.
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

I've seen that list - the reason I'm sticking with the Cauldron is because of all the re-rolls - but I'm gonna be throwing oout another list with just one block and at least 2 Peg Characters
Thanks for all the tips guys :)
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

I wish you good luck with your Army. :) I hope you share some game Reports with us.

But you have to consider that 2x CoB means no other Heroes in an army size of 2500.

I like games in a size of 2500 since i can have a good geared Dreadlord and a Sorceress. But if its less then 2500 its hard to get both with good gear.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Easy choice. BG for the cauldron. The execs don't benefit much from rerolling all failed wounds since they wound most things on 2+ and get to reroll 1's anyways.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Hmm just a quick question. Does a Unit of BG with a CoB count as a Freunzy unit? Do they have to overrun?
One model with Frenzy makes the Frenzy rule for the whole unit right?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Indeed, see p.70, "If a unit that includes one or more Frenzied models..."
so if not already charging and if Ld failed, the whole unit must charge the nearest visible enemy.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Calisson wrote:Indeed, see p.70, "If a unit that includes one or more Frenzied models..."
so if not already charging and if Ld failed, the whole unit must charge the nearest visible enemy.

Wow thats sucks for BGs. Ill better stay with Witches on a CoB. They are Cheaper, have more Attacks with poison, a 5++, benefit more from rerolling all wounds and they are core.