How do you deal with the Slaanesh lore

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

strategem
Cold One Knight

How do you deal with the Slaanesh lore

Post by strategem »

Ok, the lore that I have the most troubles dealing with is the Slaanesh lore ( I think it is the most underrated lore in the entire game )
I mainly run MSU or MMU ( I am not a horde liker )
The problem I am having is dealing with his 2 random movement spells
I can use my scroll in 1 phase but then I have to deal with 4 other phases. they are normally out of range on their turn 1
I have found that on a average magic phase for my opponent I can stop both of the random movement spells but I am having to let every other spell go

Anyone got any suggestions
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: How do you deal with the Slaanesh lore

Post by Dalamar »

If you can stop every other spell then you're good to go. The rest of the lore is pretty underwhelming against us due to naturally high elven Ld, but those two spells are pure gold.

Ring of hotek helps as boosted choir is really hard to cast so you can expect the woc player to use 6 dice. Doubling their chances of miscast is nothing to ignore.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I think the strength of the lore is not choir bombing. Even on 6 dice its not a dead cert. Sure it can win you games, but if it fails it can tip you real close to losing them. The real problem is when the slaaneshi player splits his dice between the two random movement spells, so that its impossible for you to stop both without a scroll. In reality though, being an MSU player puts you in better stead. If you have one unit that can't move you're left with alot more that can. I think against slaanesh you just have to play more redundancey, set up charges with three units, so if one goes down to choir the other two can still get the job done. I would advise saving the scroll to T.3 if you can

The other suggestion is to try and keep your warmachines in the leadership bubble in T.1/2, so you're less likely for them to fall victim to the other spells in those first crucial turns.
Pleased to be back
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

I hate the combination of Slaanesh and Tzeench Magic.
"Hey use the lowest LD in your Unit, and now make an LD test. Oh your CoB has no LD.. say goodbye to your unit"

I really wish there was an errata for that.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I really can't believe you run into that very often. First he has to roll the spells on two different wizards, then he has to have a magic phase with lots of dice, and then you have to let your opponent cast both successfully. It's a good combination of spells but pretty tough to pull off.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

I'm with Phierlihy on this. A lot has to come together for this to work. Even if your opponent rolls a double-6 magic phase, it's likely still your own fault for not keeping dispel dice for those spells (or keeping your dispel scroll up your sleeve) for the one or two spells you truly need to stop.

Just take the hit from the spells that don't ruin your army, and you won't need to worry about anything other than a 6-dice IF Choirbomb. Kill the caster as soon as possible - unless it's a DP, that should not be too hard.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

My main opponent of WoC runs DP with 5 spells and 2 lvl2 metals, so for me to stop his 2 random movement spells, I am letting him get off 1 and sometimes 2 searing dooms into my CoK or DR. and the way he cast his spells are the small random one first, searing dooms/ or even frenzy spell on my smaller less armoured units, and then the bigger random movement spell.
On a average after channeling (he has two 5+ channels out of his 3) he usually has 8-9 PD to my 4-5
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Haagrum wrote:I'm with Phierlihy on this. A lot has to come together for this to work. Even if your opponent rolls a double-6 magic phase, it's likely still your own fault for not keeping dispel dice for those spells (or keeping your dispel scroll up your sleeve) for the one or two spells you truly need to stop.

Just take the hit from the spells that don't ruin your army, and you won't need to worry about anything other than a 6-dice IF Choirbomb. Kill the caster as soon as possible - unless it's a DP, that should not be too hard.

Yes its always good if you enemy has 2 spells you HAVE to dispell. So he can just safe 3 dice and cast everything he want to. Because if you fail dispelling on those two you lose 700 point on the field. So your whole army stumbles around with random moves and you cant do anything against it because your need your dice for the other spells at the end.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

You only lose 700 points if you're packing a death star. If it's a COB-star, with Witches, then an Assassin with the Ring of Hotek gives a 2++ against magic to the unit. Cacophonic Choir only does 2d6 hits and needs to wound to inflict ASL and random movement. How lucky is your opponent feeling?

A Choirbomb is no certainty to go off, even with 6 dice. If your opponent spreads their dice, they risk failing to cast.

With the above set-up on a COB-star, you only absolutely need to stop Treachery of Tzeentch and Acquiescence.

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Haagrum wrote:You only lose 700 points if you're packing a death star. If it's a COB-star, with Witches, then an Assassin with the Ring of Hotek gives a 2++ against magic to the unit. Cacophonic Choir only does 2d6 hits and needs to wound to inflict ASL and random movement. How lucky is your opponent feeling?

A Choirbomb is no certainty to go off, even with 6 dice. If your opponent spreads their dice, they risk failing to cast.

With the above set-up on a COB-star, you only absolutely need to stop Treachery of Tzeentch and Acquiescence.

How do you get an 2++ against magic? The CoB gives you a 5++ ring of Hotek does 2MR. Thats a 3++ in my book.

And i would not cast spells on a unit with a 2++. That would be kinda stupid. There are other more important targets for that spells.
And against "Use the lowest LD" and "Make a Ld test and die" spells isnt MR very useful.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Ring of Hotek is MR3. :)
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

My magic analysis shows the average game gets 0.8 spells off per phase or 5 spells per game. We've all had games where your opponent beat you down in the magic phase but the odds are against any opponent getting off 2 spells per round let alone 2 must-stop spells. Yes it does happen but pretty darn rarely (at least in my little world).
phierlihy@druchii.net
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

We're going somewhat off-topic now. However, the concerns put forward by Askador relate to combinations of spells and the movement-affecting Slaanesh spells. To both the OP's question and Askador's, my answer is the same: prioritise dispelling specific spells, disrupt the combination by stopping one spell (your choice - Treason would be the smart choice, but it may be worth letting through to deplete casting dice unless you're expecting an IF Slicing Shards), and take the hits from the ones you can't afford to stop. If you roll out a death star, protect it appropriately with the right choices of magic defence items and blocking the few things which can kill it - it's simply a matter of protecting your investment. It won't work 100% of the time, but that's unavoidable.

Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Gerner wrote:Ring of Hotek is MR3. :)

Oh true. thanks :)
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

What you really need is to deal with the caster.

4 RBTs.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I bring two units of Doomfire Warlocks & two Sorceresses for plenty of magical goodness. The Death Sorceress carries Sivjar's Hex Scroll - a nasty combination that has netted me three Demon Princes (a couple of Vampires, and a Slann) so far. Step 1 - turn wizard into a Frog with Leadership 1. Step 2 - Death Snipe.
phierlihy@druchii.net
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Phierlihy wrote:I bring two units of Doomfire Warlocks & two Sorceresses for plenty of magical goodness. The Death Sorceress carries Sivjar's Hex Scroll - a nasty combination that has netted me three Demon Princes (a couple of Vampires, and a Slann) so far. Step 1 - turn wizard into a Frog with Leadership 1. Step 2 - Death Snipe.

Cruel! :cry:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Phierlihy wrote:I bring two units of Doomfire Warlocks & two Sorceresses for plenty of magical goodness. The Death Sorceress carries Sivjar's Hex Scroll - a nasty combination that has netted me three Demon Princes (a couple of Vampires, and a Slann) so far. Step 1 - turn wizard into a Frog with Leadership 1. Step 2 - Death Snipe.

This is really cool.
But only having a 1/3 chance of turning a LVL4 into a toad has always really put me off.
Pleased to be back
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I see plenty of Demon Princes that are level 3 and every now and then I find a Wizard who's lost a few levels from a miscast. Sure, sometimes it is 50 completely wasted points. But when it works, your opponent cries!
phierlihy@druchii.net
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

Don't forget, Cacophonic Choir is a Hex. I am pretty sure you do not get to use MR against a hex spell. Might have to check that.
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

We should have a "Most Druchii post of the Month of the Award" -- and this would be my nomination!

It's in the Sac Dagger Life Sorceress category of supreme evil :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Archamedius wrote:Don't forget, Cacophonic Choir is a Hex. I am pretty sure you do not get to use MR against a hex spell. Might have to check that.

You get MR against wounds caused by spells. Cacophonic Choir causes 2d6 hits wounding on 4+, and inflicts ASL and random movement on any target taking wounds. The type of spell is not relevant - although it's rare for hexes to cause wounds, MR is not limited to direct damage and magic missiles.