Shooting at Characters in Units

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Shooting at Characters in Units

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Hey everyone, was wondering if I could get your opinion on something I was having a look at. If a player runs 2 Scar-vets on Cold Ones in a large unit of Skinks, how would shots from RBTs be allocated?

I was having a look at the BRB and realise they can't get a look out sir roll but would I be able to target them with the single shots from the RBTs? The BRB states that if there are fewer than five rank-and-file models or the character is of a different troop type, the controlling player decides who is hit but must allocate one hit to each model before he can add a second hit. By this logic, if I was firing 2 RBTs, one could aim at the Scar-vet but the other one would be at the unit??

Any thoughts guys?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Shooting at Characters in Units

Post by Calisson »

No.
BS shooting (p.99) is allocated by the controlling player, i.e. the one who controls the target unit, not the one who controls the shooters.
If you shoot single shots, your opponent will allocate them to skinks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

So this works even if there are 2 types of units - skinks and Cold ones?
I thought that BS shooting could target units because before it was cleared up, people would target the CoB in the WE
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Yeah, any kind of non-template missile fire is allocated by the controlling player. Doesn't matter if there are different unit types or not.

People cannot single out the CoB in WE, but you can allocate shooting on the Skaven Screaming Bell because it has a special rule that allows it. :)
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Right ok, cheers guys. There I was thinking I'd be able to get rid of those Scar-vets easily :P
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

So pegmasters in warlock units are well protected to then?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Protected from normal missile fire, but they don't get a Look-Out-Sir! roll against templates (Warlocks=Cavalry, Peg Master=Monstrous Cavalry). Also, you would normally want the Peg Master to take regular missile hits since he should have a 1+ or 2+ armor save, which is better than a 4+ ward.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Lesebyst
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lesebyst »

My understanding is if a pegmaster joins a unit of 5 warlocks including a champion and the unit takes a single hit from a RBT, the target is chosen randomly as there are fewer than five rank-and-file models in the unit. If the unit is hit by 6 repeater bolts from a RBT, one hit is allocated to each model in the unit - is this correct or have I misunderstood yet again? :)
Enslave all the races!!!
My Budget Druchii Army Blog
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

No, Lesebyst, your understanding is perfect... but only if you still play the former edition.
In the present edition, there is no longer randomizing.
The controller choses who gets the excess when the number of hits is not a multiple of the number of victims.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lesebyst
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lesebyst »

Ahh has that been updated in a faq? Page 111 of 8th Edition BRB - "Bolt Throwers and Characters - If the rank hit by the bolt is made entirely of characters and champions, or if the total number of rank and file models in the unit is less than five, it will be necessary to randomise which model in the rank is hit."

*EDIT* Oh sorry I'm confusing the situation, by "a single hit from a RBT" I meant a single huge bolt rather than one hit out of six fired in repeater-mode.
Enslave all the races!!!
El hombre
Executioner

Post by El hombre »

This got me thinking; why then is it possible to shoot a canon at a cauldron in a unit of witch elves?
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ah, sorry Lesebyst, I forgot about BT special rule. Randomizing indeed if there is less than 5 non champion R&F.

@ El hombre
Cannons are template weapons with specific rules, BT are BS shooting with specific rules.
Lesebyst
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lesebyst »

Thanks for the clarification, I'm really struggling with the new rules tbh! Everything is different /sob
Enslave all the races!!!