Who's playing proper MSU?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Re: Who's playing proper MSU?

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

Great to see some MSU practitioner here :)

It seems that once in a while the problem of big, steadfast blocks comes back. Yes, that is one of the challenges any MSU force has to deal with. Yes, it was easier to defeat these in previous editions as the sheer number of wounds mattered and ranks were neglected by killing power. However, it is still possible to defeat such enemies.

1. You can grind down such enemies if you attack them from both flanks. They will have few attacks to the side and these days you have more attacks from your units on the same frontage. Your job is to arrange such favourable situation.

2. Even frontal attack can break the big units. if they are in horde formation you can pack many units on your own into such wide frontage. Chariots will be fantastic here too, clipping on the flanks but still adding full number of attacks. With seer amount of attacks and relatively shallow formation you may inflict a lot of damage to actually make ranks even between your units and the enemy regiment thus negating steadfast. Another bonus is that the enemy has to divide the attacks against many regiments and that means their damage is dispersed and your units can survive the combat too.

If the enemy is in deep formation there is nothing that prevents you from getting them into river or into forest where the terrain negates the ranks and steadfast and only inflicted wounds count. Again, it is your job to make it happen. :)

3. Include a cheap ranked unit on your own or add Sisters to negate that in the enemy.

4. Soften the big block with your shooting. Some of the armies might not have that many support units. You can eliminate them quickly and weaken the main block so that last turn charge will break them anyway.

None of the above is a situation that can happen on its own. But the lists presented above have tools to make it happen. And this is where your tactical brilliance should shine :)

Cheers!
Sweeping death
Shade

Post by Sweeping death »

Hi there.

I´m not playing "proper", 7th style MSU, but have settled to a mix of MME and MSU.

I think that the essential logic of not wasting expensive DE points in too big units and having drop, board and movement control through multiple units is still totally valid and uses DE´s high WS, A, I and Ld to its full potential, but my 2-3 main combat blocs were increased to 20-25 man.

Other than that, I invest heavily in chaff units and even still use harpies (love my models and imo they still have a valid function in DE armies).
[/i]There was no sin in Naggaroth save weakness: the Witch King commanded the fealty of conquerors and slave masters - anything less was prey. [/i] Malus Darkblade

Pictures of my army:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67423
My Rorhirrim:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/LOTR_Brasil ... st=0&#last
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I found that sisters of slaughter and ASF give Dark Elf players a good improvement in playing MSU, if they flank an enemy horde they won't die easily and neglect any rank bonus for the remaning combat phases where your MSU units do the real damage.