Dreadlord on Dark Steed

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Archamedius
Black Guard

Dreadlord on Dark Steed

Post by Archamedius »

So Lately I have been running my list with a Dreadlord on a dark Steed as follows:

Full mundane, reaper crossbow, Ogreblade, 4++ and Other Trickster's Shard.

It was my intention to get OTS into the army so I could have something to seriously hurt or kill Demon Princes/Greater Demons/Unkillable BSB/etc. However, I find when I am on the battle field I end up just playing the mobile game and shooting with him and his unit, plus charging and taking out war machines, etc. I wonder if I am being too timid with him or if he's not kit out that well and I should consider some alternative choices.

So far I have faced Dark elves 3 times, High Elves, Warriors of Chaos (Flying Circus+Throgg), and Demons of Chaos 3 times (various configurations) with him.

Thoughts?
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Askador
Noble

Re: Dreadlord on Dark Steed

Post by Askador »

I think OTs is a great item. I use this almost in every game.

The problem i got with it. my Peg Dreadlord has no points to spend for it since i love the Twilight Mantle to much.
So i got in on my Lord on foot. But it works great. Ignoring armor and force rerolling Ward saves :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Looks like a solid build. The Dark Steed makes it possible to get him where you need him fast. I'd consider putting him on a Peg, if you can spare the points, but he might have to dodge more shots that way.

If you find yourself playing too defensively, is it because you're unwilling to commit the unit he's in to the battle or because you're afraid to charge him out of the unit?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Bigboar
Dark Rider

Post by Bigboar »

Dark riders are not prove to charge such enemies (or you can lose combat because they suffer too many casualties), if dreadlord joins warlocks is more willing to charge with them... it's a shame you will spoil your own unit's save with OTS. You can try a different setup (I love black amulet against WoC, bretonnian or mounted monsters that can't refuse a challenge!)

If you leave him with DR just use the riders as a transfer charging out of the unit
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Think you have a couple of choices here. First you could accept the way you currently play as what you are comfortable with, that would suggest you may well not need the lord and potentially those points could be used better elsewhere, maybe more magic or another unit.
Second choice is to follow others advice about mounting on a peg or running him with a more combat orientated unit to make use of him fully.
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

Daeron wrote:Looks like a solid build. The Dark Steed makes it possible to get him where you need him fast. I'd consider putting him on a Peg, if you can spare the points, but he might have to dodge more shots that way.

If you find yourself playing too defensively, is it because you're unwilling to commit the unit he's in to the battle or because you're afraid to charge him out of the unit?

I feel hesitant to charge him and his unit (10 dark riders normally) and am very concerned about charging him out of his unit. When would I charge him out? At a lone character?
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
ScottyDo
Warrior

Post by ScottyDo »

I could see plenty of good instances to charge him out. Solo characters (who he is designed to hunt), multi charge combats where you want him in to challenge, even warmachines potentially. You're right, the dark riders are usually just free combat res for your opponent, but leaving them behind is always an option.
phlewis
Trainee Warrior

Post by phlewis »

Times I would charge him out on his own would be against a lone character, a monster, artillery. That is how I use my Peg Lord with Cloak of Twilight.