Druchii.net at Buckeye

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Druchii.net at Buckeye

Post by Dalamar »

With Buckeye Battles arriving in a week, I thought it would be a good idea to compile a short list of who from among the forum will be attending (Since it seems we have a handful of people going this year) and maybe coordinate a little meet and greet.

I will be easy to find, wearing my Druchii.net t-shirt on day one and leading my Two Towers list with a CoB that rather stands out.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
shakedown47
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Druchii.net at Buckeye

Post by shakedown47 »

I tabled Gary Luther in round one, and then proceeded to get tabled by the following two opponents. Not stellar so far.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I'm using a very soft Lizard army. I have the display board with the pyramid. Won first two games against Wood Elves and Ogres. Lost game 3 to a Tomb Kings army I would have smoked with Dark Elves. My first game I was right next to Dalamar.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

My first game I was right next to Dalamar.

And we didn't realize it until after the game when Dyvim scouted me out in the hall during lunch and we talked about our last game... Found out Dyvim played against Wood Elves... realized there was some wood elf army on the table next to me... and then that it was the table number Dyvim played on :P So focused we were on our own games.

First two games went really smoothly against WoC (removed them all by the end of turn 6) then DoC (opponent conceded at the end of turn 4, he had 7 horrors left on the table ready to be charged by my units).

Then I got to face Chaos Dwarfs for the first time and I can safely say that was the most unpleasant game I have had in a very long time. The opponent was dodgy, his list didn't offer a game and he was clearly fumbling on his dice (they were hard to read from a distance and I spotted him picking up wrong numbers on more than one occasion, called him out on it whenever I caught it fast enough. He corrected the dice but didn't seem phased by it). The player was very... smug... in a very unpleasant way. Not to mention his list was a perfect counter to mine with K'dai destroyer being able to obliterate any infantry it touches, 3 large templates and a flame template. 3/4 of his army didn't participate in the game. I didn't participate in the game either, I like to call it being a passive observer. Just like playing against full avoidance wood elves without the tools to deal with them.

Then game 5 I made a mistake by getting my Level 4 in a challenge with arch lector and they just got stuck for three full turns, keeping my executioners pinned down and out of combat. I won that game barely, but it should've been a clear victory if I simply refused to fight that arch lector on a war altar that made him stubborn (and executioners would've chopped the altar to kindling just like they did right after the arch lector finally managed to kill my level 4 after a bad magic phase and no healed wounds)

And game six was the most fun game I've had even though it was a very tight draw (I ended with 40 points more than my opponent). His list consisted of:
2 tzeentch heralds
4 units of 10 horrors
2 units of 5 furies
3 screamers
2 units of 6 beasts of nurgle
2 units of 4 plague drones
1 skullcannon

Yeah you saw that right. 12 beasts of nurgle and 8 plague drones. I bunkered my infantry units in the corner of the board and played a delaying action all the way until the end of the game. In the end he took down all my chaff except for a single dark rider unit (who single handedly killed two units of horrors!) and Executioners were stuck fighting against the 12 beasts of nugle, their backs to the corner of the board (reformed into deeeeeep ranks) and life magic keeping the buggers alive. It was a game I could've won if my Master wasn't killed by horrors. Charged in the flank (it was the only was for him to get past the nurgle lines - expose his flank to one unit of 10 horrors with a banner) he had to kill 2 horrors to win combat, then reform and proceed to butcher them... he hit and wounded with all attacks, the brave horse added one more wound... and the horrors saved all 4! lost by 3, broke and got ran down by horrors... sad day in a Master's life.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I played Lizards because I don't have all the Dark Elf stuff painted that I would want to use. Ended up getting 2nd in the best painted category with them so it was the right choice I think. Ended up going 4-1-0 with a very soft list -- I can win with it, but it's not good at pulling off the massive wins. Really fun tournament.

And a Dark Elf player did win the overall.
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

I was there with my big Black dragon and a half-assed painted army in purple, silver and some teal. I was usually hanging around Hurley/Dyvm or other guys from indy. Dyv I'm willing to bet a part of your painting coming in second is just because you won last year. They gotta give other people a shot too! While I was thoroughly trounced 3 out of my 5 games I was very happy to come in second as the favorite game played which was all 5 of my opponents so I was happy there. I suppose they had a best general or painting score that broke the tie on that because 5 was the max.

My first game was against all Slannesh deamons and I could catch a break on any dice, the guy rolled like an 11,11,10,9 on his first few winds of magic rolls which gave him fat bonuses every turn. OH yes and he had 2 Soulgrinders WITH flame cannons. . . doh

Second game was against Skaven (WITH 2 Aboms, WTF is this a theme for the GT?) and I rolled up Despair on my dark magic sorceress, Bladewind his generals unit down to half first turn. Second turn i make 3 long charges into 3 separate weak, but large units, roll magic dice for a big fat 3. Scroll. Done. Executioners into an Abom for an easy kill right, no . . they failed 2 LD 10 fear tests ina row and died in round 2 of combat while still doing 5 wounds.

Third game was against WoC with a block of nurgle warriors and a block of Tzeench knights with lord and BSB. This one was my big win. I'm not sure if he wasn't a good player or just didn't see any options but he made some bad moves and my Master on peg tore into his Crushers and broke them turn 2 on the flank. He took my witch elf bate and lined his knights up in front of my executioners about 9 inches away and also in front of my 30 corsairs with bsb. Turn 2 my dragon got into his warriors and bolt throwers tore up his chariots. I knew it was over then but it took a few more turns due to his armor and wards.

Game 4 day 2 -After the team tourny and day 1 I was low on energy and since I hadn't had any cannons opponents yet I figured I was due. Yup. There we go. Ogres. bad rolls and failed charges and I didn't have a chance. It was my understanding at Buckeye that the hills blocked all line of sight so that I could hide my dragon lord behind a hill but my opponent said he didn't think that so I gave him the shot. AND of course, Lord dead, Dragon monster reaction? Stand still the rest of the game.

Gam3 5. Same club as the guy in game 4 and almost identical list. Swap a few ogres for maneaters. Not quite as comfortable with his army as the game 5 guy and I forced him into some bad decisions. Still lost the Lord to a cannon first turn . . AND monster reaction? Dragon stands still for the rest of the game. Next turn master took out the cannon from the back and next turn charged the rear of the Slaughtermaster's unit of 10 Ogre bulls, 7 wounds, they failed stubborn 9 out of range of BSB by 2 inches flee, CAUGHT. Go master! Other ogre unit was debuffed all to hell by the two sorceresses until only the BSB was left. Won by about 350 but took some bonuses.

Overall fun but I would not gimp myself again with messing around trying to game the comp. Just going to try for anywhere near the sweet spot around 6-12 and Probably not waste time on the dragon lord again.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I was at Indy for a tourney this weekend, but it was Blood Bowl and not Fantasy. Mine was fun, glad you guys had a good time as well.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Archamedius
Black Guard

Post by Archamedius »

Dyvim tvar wrote:I played Lizards because I don't have all the Dark Elf stuff painted that I would want to use. Ended up getting 2nd in the best painted category with them so it was the right choice I think. Ended up going 4-1-0 with a very soft list -- I can win with it, but it's not good at pulling off the massive wins. Really fun tournament.

And a Dark Elf player did win the overall.

Anyone know what the winning list had? I saw he had a 10 comp but I don't know what was in his list.
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

harshey
Slave on the Altar

Post by harshey »

Jake's list was pretty straight forward, L4 metal, horde of witches with cauldron, a block of executioners, a BSB with a cold one bus, 2 dark rider units and some bolt throwers.

He posted some very nice battle reports up on our local site:
Iwfb.net
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Yep. He posted them here too.