Loving Doomfire Warlocks

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Eldarwonderland
Warrior

Loving Doomfire Warlocks

Post by Eldarwonderland »

So much so I have treated myself to another 5 to go with my original 5.

In my last 6 games I have won 5 and drawn 1 (OnGx2, VC,Dwarfs,Empire, drew vs Lizzies). Most unlike me.
This coincided with me using 5 warlocks every game and they have been outstanding.

Last game they:-
Doombolted 15 squig herd killing 4 and then charged it, broke it, chased and caught.
Soulblighted blacks orcs horde so I could whittle it down.
IR Soulblighted orc horde that was destroyed next combat :) sadly I only had 2 left and they both died, but what heroines they were.
Avatars of War: ordered vestals in March for April delivery, finally arrived Dec 15 2014
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Re: Loving Doomfire Warlocks

Post by Malys the younger »

Nice! I just put together my first unit and hope to have them slaughter some wood elves tonight.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Warlocks are so versatile, it's amazing. They have some excellent spells, solid defence for a Fast Cav unit, respectable combat output, can be a bunker for your Sorceress, can redirect in a pinch if necessary and all for 15 points more than a fully geared Dark Rider unit. It's not hard to understand why they are one of the most powerful units in our book, and why they are loathed by other armies.

Good to gear they have served you well. :)
Shorabora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shorabora »

Have just got myself 2 boxes :D
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Soulblight is great to hit a unit in combat with and warlocks can nearly always be in a position to use it. In combat they are great too, my unit of 5 got charged by some Razorgors and I thought they were dead, but ASF, 2 attacks and poison later, boom! High toughness non armour monsters are now my favourite Warlock meal.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Malys the younger wrote:Nice! I just put together my first unit and hope to have them slaughter some wood elves tonight.

Warlocks will die in droves to mass BS shooting. There's only so much a 4++ can do when woodies are on the table. Make sure you screen them well.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

marcopollo wrote:Warlocks will die in droves to mass BS shooting. There's only so much a 4++ can do when woodies are on the table. Make sure you screen them well.

Agreed. I'm hoping to have enough intimidating looking units on the table that they will have to pick and choose what to shoot at.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Warlocks will die in droves to mass BS shooting. There's only so much a 4++ can do when woodies are on the table. Make sure you screen them well.

Technically it's a 6+ save followed by a 4++. Not a huge difference, especially against AP weapons, but it's useful nevertheless.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

marcopollo wrote:
Malys the younger wrote:Nice! I just put together my first unit and hope to have them slaughter some wood elves tonight.

Yup, recently lost a whole unit to one round of shooting from 20 Trueflight arrows :(
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

yup, they're undercosted by about a mile but every army has its overly-cheap components; here are ours!
PureSphinx
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by PureSphinx »

Played against OnG and got counter deployed sooo hard, my BG and dark riders and kharibdyss and about 3/4 of my army were stuck fighting goblins while his hordes of 40 Boyz and 40 Black Orcs were sent to smash my flank, which consisted of a horde of 30 corsairs with a level 2 beasts and sac dagger, and one of my units of warlocks. My corsairs proceeded to Shrek the 80 orcs so hard it wasn't even funny, with Wyssan's and Soulblight, and then a flank charge into the Black Orcs from the warlocks. Both units broke and ran, and were both run down. Warlocks put the team on their backs yo.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Trueflight was a massive mistake from GW, hue hue :p

Nah in all seriousness. Warlocks are the single best non-character entry in our book. Nothing even comes close. So its no wonder every tournament out there with restrictions, choose to hit them super hard. In a non comped environment I would run 2 units of 10 all the time.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Shorabora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shorabora »

Is 2 units of 5 better than 1 unit of 10??
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Shorabora wrote:Is 2 units of 5 better than 1 unit of 10??

Depends on the situaiton.

2 units of 5 will give you 2 channels, 2 vanguarding units which can be used for doubleflee maneuvres in a pinch, 2 doombolts and 2 soulblights to cover the entire battlefield, twice the unit count to keep your opponent on his toes, and since they get 2 attacks each, 2x5 locks will give you 2x10 attacks. Also, you can afford to lose a single unit of warlocks to a IF 4d6 soul quench or a banishment or similar which will often wipe the unit out. Still have one to spare.

1 unit of 10 will give you 1 channel, 15 attacks and just one set of spells. And if you lose that one unit, thats it. Often, 10 locks will attract more firepower than 5 locks, too... But, they can do a lot more in combat, and they can afford a few casualties without losing combat value.

2x10 is the dream scenario of course ;) giving the best of both worlds.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Shorabora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shorabora »

Will have to grab a couple more boxes then I don't think anyone in my group has played against them yet
Eldarwonderland
Warrior

Post by Eldarwonderland »

They will despise you :)

he he he
Avatars of War: ordered vestals in March for April delivery, finally arrived Dec 15 2014
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Eldarwonderland wrote:They will despise you :)

he he he

+1! :D
Shorabora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shorabora »

I will feed off their despise mwahahhahhahh
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I think what is important to remember, is to not get caught too much up in the hype and expect them to take down 30 chaos warriors with halberds. Just ain't gonna happen. Their true value is in their versatility. Kind of like a jack knife. Whether clearing chaff, hunting warmachines, boosting a magic phase, bunker hunting, or flanks support you've got a relatively cheap tool to do that.

Then of course, there is the brolock deathstar build that can lay the beat down. But that is not a cheap unit. And its footprint is rather excessive.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

2x10 should be enough in most cases.

As I am getting back to warhammer and especially my DE army (rebuilding most of it with new models), I am going mostly for a fast cav army at first. Masters and sorceresses on steeds, many small units of dark riders... the Warlocks will be the main close combat fighting power together with those masters (that might just be in the front of a slightly bigger DR unit).

Too bad most tournaments will have restrictions so I can't run such a list. Which is okay as it is kinda overpowered.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Omnichron wrote:2x10 should be enough in most cases.

As I am getting back to warhammer and especially my DE army (rebuilding most of it with new models), I am going mostly for a fast cav army at first. Masters and sorceresses on steeds, many small units of dark riders... the Warlocks will be the main close combat fighting power together with those masters (that might just be in the front of a slightly bigger DR unit).

Too bad most tournaments will have restrictions so I can't run such a list. Which is okay as it is kinda overpowered.

I've faced this. 2 units of warlocks with two masters each, one dark rider unit with a dreadlord and master. 3 wide with champs to spilt attacks. Alll mundane equipment but hit like a ton of bricks. The two warlock units took off 20 temple guard on a combined frontal charge. 12 s6 attacks from the masters all hitting and all wounding with no saves hurts:(