Dark Rider units -- (Big and Small)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

marcopollo
Assassin

Dark Rider units -- (Big and Small)

Post by marcopollo »

What I'd like to know is how the community is using bigger blocks of DR.

I Started a new type of army after seeing a fellow gamer use similar wood elf set-up. He had 3 units of ambushing glade-riders at 10 models in each unit. Their firepower with quick-to-fire poisoned javelins were very effective.

Now, we don't get poisoned shooting. But, rxb's are still pretty damn effective at any opponent without a 1+ armor save. So at 2500 pts, I have started to run this for core:

2 x 10 DR with full command (full equiptment) 230pts x 2 = 460
2x5 DR no command and shields only. 2 x 85 = 170
Total = 630 (625 min for core).

That's 30 DR (which I have just enough).

I played a game recently where the two small ones double-fled to stall is hammer unit, while the large DR positioned their shooting to whittle away what they could. And, by the 5th turn, they had put some serious hurt on their bigger blocks. I wasn't rolling great or anything, but I was consistently causing panic test every shooting phase (which eventually some did fail).

Any tips here? -- say for decent magic lores/character kits/supporting cast for an army with this type of component?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Dark Rider units -- (Big and Small)

Post by T.D. »

Your big units are obviously good delivery for (1) SS (2) DL and (3) multiple steed masters.

I like the small units for doing what you have been doing -- jamming up opponent hammers.

Warlocks and Knights complement all DR core (alternative character placement), as do Pegasus Masters (superior mobility and durability, and can hide in DR for cover).

Shades can be handy for messing up enemy vanguard, and RBT for plinking off annoying things.

Optional infantry to support i.e. small units of flaming Witches for shredding, or Rxb for alternative sorceress fire base.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by blackrobe »

I have purchased some Dark Riders.

It seems that running them with xbows is preferred. I would like to include shields, is this advisable?
Can you suggest how I handle command? No command for 5 man units? full command for 10 man units? Some sort of combination?
Any input is appreciated, hopefully this thread is an appropriate place to ask.
Regards
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I do musicians on 5 man units. I often flee charges against them, and the +1 to rally is well worth the 10 points.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Mostly every1 runs them with both RXBs and Shields.
This gives you Fast Cav with a 4+ Armor Save and that shoots 10 shots each turn. while this wont wipe out whole blocks its a bane for enemy chaff.
As for command, if you plan on using them as redirectirs then a Musician is very advisable.
I would only take a banner if you rly plan on going into CC with them and only a Champ if you have a heavy combat char somewhere you dont want to see bogged down in a challenge
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by blackrobe »

My plan was to have elves and cold ones, nothing else. I was at my GW and wanted to buy executioners but I realized that they would be no fun to build and that I could get the dark riders / warlocks kit for £10 less and magnetize them.
Maybe I will never run them. I want two Kharibdyss, one on each flank, as they will be painted in such a way to complement the cold ones. I would be limiting myself but that is what I wanted. Winning with a cookie-cutter build is worse than losing. In 40k I win with style, as the game is unbalanced, and I can win in truly sociopathic ways. If my opponent is in literal shock when I beat them I salivate.

Perhaps I could paint the horsies in a state of decay and pretend that the cold ones munch on them. My Kharibdyss will have my extra cold one heads on the base with plenty of gore, the cold ones that stupify feed the giant tentacle monsters.