Dark Elves Top 3 / Bottom 3

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bigboar
Dark Rider

Re: Dark Elves Top 3 / Bottom 3

Post by Bigboar »

Here's mine, I don't play tournaments, what I look for is to have fun with my friends... while crushing them :mrgreen:

Top 3:

1. Cold one chariots, (I really love them: cheap, hit hard, tough to kill, great to countercharge on a side or great in group of 3+ for an epic frontal charge!)

2. Warlocks (nothing to add, they are always usefull)

3. Beastmasters with a scourgerunner! (they're a great fun to play, a real nightmare for every monster, but even cavalry or highly armoured foes fear him (I love to shoot from a side, out of they frontal arc but able to kill up to 4-5 model!).
He usually hit at least 3 times in first rounds (and it hurts!) even if the carriot is destroyed the beast master can join an infantry and it's a badass even alone. (he's usually 2+/4++)

bottom 3:
1. Fleetmasters. we all agree he is bugged/poorly designed

2. Warriors (both swords or spears) there is no reason to use them.,and It's a shame. Imho Spears should have received a better treatment like WE Spears did (with a point increase of course)... Swords should be a little cheaper to be the real cannon fodder we don't have.

3. Harpies (can't see a place for them both for fluff and rules)
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Top:
1. Warlocks
2. Reaper Bolt Throwers
3. Shades

Warlocks for the obvious reasons. Reaper Bolt Throwers because they are good in the meta... great shooting which prevents a lot of the single character models move in to kill your army. Shades because they can move about so well and is still one of the best shooty units out there... However Dark Riders is REALLY a great unit I could have on the third spot as well as harpies (Who are actually good and still a cheaper chaff unit)

Bottom:
1. Fleetmaster
2. Medusa
3. Manticore

The Fleemaster is obviously the worst choice of our book. Statwise all worse than our Dreadlords, costs more, less magic items and almost no options. He is a waste of space in the army book. Medusa is decent on paper as chaff/hunter... but the general has to babysit it due to LD and frenzy, and it is easily taken out by shooting/magic. Manticore is still a worse choice than a pegasus for our characters.

I would also like to add that IMO. the Kharibdyss is a better choice than War Hydra. Stronger attacks at higher initiative and rerolling LD is perfect for combined charges.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Top:
1. Supreme Sorceress
2. Warlocks
3. Cold One Knights

Supreme Sorceresses are the militant feminists of the Warhammer World -- they don't just whine, they kick ass! Warlocks are the "McGyver" of our lists; jacks of all trades, masters of all! Knights are underrated tanks. You can take all our other special choices; I choose our Nauglirnauts* :twisted:

In the mix: Dark Riders are pure unadulterated awesome. Just a little less awesome than the top 3 (although no less important tactically). Mounted Masters and Dreadlords are badasses, as all Dark Elves should be.

Bottom:
1. Failmaestro
2. Medusa
3. Scourgerunner

No need to comment on No. 1. As much as I like the idea, the fluff, and the model, 'Dusa is an overcosted liability with Ld2 Frenzy and no save. "Scroungy" = S7 bolt thrower that will never hit anything. 'Nuff said.

In the mix: I absolutely love the brooding Spartan grimness of a spear wall, but with Witches, Corsairs and Urithen in core, who really needs Spears/Swords?

*unless I'm up against Wood Elves. Then they suck.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Witch elves hitting on 4+,rerollable, which means those 3s the BG hit on potentially become 6s - and therefore autowound - for Witches. Poison is a big part of how Witches deliver virtually identical results to Black Guard in close combat.

Besides, 9 BG would deliver 18 attacks, 12 hits, plus 8 after rerolls for a total of 20.. for 135 points.

The same points in Witches (12) drop 36 attacks, 18 hits (6 poison), and 9 more (+3 poison) after rerolls, for 27 hits... 9 of which wound regardless of the T of the target. If the target is T5, the Witches are already doing more damage than the BG are likely to.

And bear in mind, any buff you apply to the BG can just as easily be applied to the Witches.

I repeat: over most situations, Witches and Black Guard do similar damage. They both shred stuff with low armor, and both struggle against heavily protected units. (Against, say, Chaos Cavalry, the BG above will deliver 10 wounds and maybe kill 2 Chaos Knights. The Witches will deliver 15 wounds, and kill 2.5 Knights. Even if you give the BG the Razor Banner, they will only generate .8 more kills than the Witches do. Against Skaven Clanrats (with shields), BG do 13 wounds and kill 9; the Witches push 18 wounds through and kill 10.

There's something to be said for sheer volume of attacks.)
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

I too want BG that hit 20 times with 18 attacks.
Christoph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Christoph »

I'm going to make things a little harder and include only non-character units.

1: Dark Riders -- Our bread and butter core choice, and arguably the best light cavalry in the game (especially in Core).
2: Bolt Throwers -- The workhorse of our shooting, with old models that actually still look cool.
3: Warlocks -- Definitely our best new addition, combining the mobility and destructive offensive power that we all love.

Honorable mentions: Witch Elves, Hydra, and Cold One Knights

1: Spearmen -- They simpler under perform compared to every other similar choice for their cost.
2: Harpies -- I like the fluff behind them, but the combination of hideous models and underwhelming battlefield effectiveness this edition ensures that I won't buy them anytime soon.
3: Scourgerunner Chariot -- A cool idea severely hampered by poor chances to actually hit with the harpoon. Which is sad, but at least I get free dark steeds with my Cold One Chariot, right?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Dark reaper wrote:I too want BG that hit 20 times with 18 attacks.

:oops:

Well, I feel dumb now.

Take 2?

18 attacks, 12 hits, then 4 more after rerolls for 16 hits. Which just makes the Witches even better, relatively speaking.
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

A very interesting topic for a beginning DE player - like me! :)

Standings thus far:

Best
1. Warlocks .. 13 votes
2. Pegasus master/character .. 10 votes
3. Witch Elves .. 8 votes
4. Dark Riders .. 5 votes
5. RBT .. 4 votes
- lvl4 sorc .. 4 votes

Worst
1. Fleetmaster .. -15 votes
2. Warriors (spear/sword) .. -7 votes
- Scourgerunner Chariot .. -7 votes
4. Harpies .. -6 votes
5. Medusa .. -4 votes
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Following on from callsson my top three are the three auto includes in every list i write

1) Cloak of twilight master on a peg. He isn't infallible but almost always makes back or more his points in every game.
2) dread Lord peg/co/steed it makes no difference this guy is the business the multitude of options for kit just adds a cherry on the top. If not for cost he would be número uno
3) corsairs, for the models, the fluff and (for me) they are the perfect core either 2 x units of 15 with rhb or a 30 block with AHW and a cauldron they maybe Jack of all trades when compared to other core options but that's why I love em.

Worst 3

1) BAFM..... Yup it's a popular choice for biggest pile of fail and with good reason
2) assassins so many points and with no guaranteed way of actually getting at the character you want, why didn't they get daring leap as standard issue
3) executioners, great weapons on elves is just wrong knowingly giving up rerolls is insane as it provides not only a marked increase in actual hits the constant re rolling of hits and wounds breaks your opponents morale over the course of a game. If I want a can opener I'll take CoK, for elite infantry I feel BG and SoS are stronger choices (both would have scrapped over 4 th place in the best list above for me at least )
MexicanNinja
Shade

Post by MexicanNinja »

Top Three:

1) Supreme Sorceress w/dark pegasus, cloak of twilight, staff of sorcery (I've played to many games using this build with either dark or death magic and the rewards always out do the risks)
2) Warlocks of any unit size (again, this unit is great on so many different levels due to them being good at clearing chaff, small units, war machine hunting, etc.)
3) 10 Dark Riders w/musician, standard bearer, shields, RXB (I have been running 3 units of these things in most of my lists and they are able to do sooo much for me. Against wood elves and other chaff or non-engage heavy units they can break an entire flank on the first turn)

Bottom Three:
1) Sisters of Slaughter- These things are just straight trash
2) Fleetmaster- I have yet to see any Dark Elf player I know use one
3) Assassin's- Overpriced and they don't do much much die and give up easy points.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Best
1: Peg master with CoT
2: Dark Riders
3: Warlocks

Worst
1: Fleetmaster
2: Spearman
3: Scourgerunner

I think the pegasus master with cloak of twilight is the best warmachine / chaff hunter in the entire game, and the only one without a real answer of our enemies. Dark Riders are the best fast cavalry in the game and on #2 because they are core. The warlocks are for sure the best 'new' unit Dark Elves can field with the new book.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

MexicanNinja wrote:Top Three:
Bottom Three:

I take it you've never used them against Chaos Warrior blocks, then?

Spoiler - they are nothing of the sort. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
MexicanNinja
Shade

Post by MexicanNinja »

direweasel wrote:
MexicanNinja wrote:Top Three:
Bottom Three:

I take it you've never used them against Chaos Warrior blocks, then?

Spoiler - they are nothing of the sort. :)

Not a lot of chaos warriors players in my area.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Yeah SoS are great. I dont know how you are using them but i generaly only run a small unit of 10-15 and just target them at the block i want to hold in place. sure the only have a 6+ when it comes to ranged/magic in defence but thats why you pick a nice target to throw them at. preferably so.ething which relies on its Rank Bonus or Parry Save... preferable both :mrgreen:
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

21 SOS with the AP banner make short work of most S4 T4 heavy infantry. I have had them wipe out entire units of grave guard in a a single round of combat.
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

An army with good shooting with tear Sisters up, but honestly, that's true of most of our units. Anything S4 T4 unit is going to get lit up by them in melee.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
whitewolf
Slave on the Altar

Post by whitewolf »

Detherius Zythaal wrote:Black Guards have suffered quite a bit with this edition: Eternal Hatred has become mostly irrelevant, the other choices have become more solid and often underpriced, you can't give the Champion the Crimson Death or the Whip of Agony any more, AND their points have increased by 2 making them overpriced. To their credit, they usually benefit more than our other infantry units from buffs (armor piercing, +1S, reroll to wound, etc.).
A shame that they do not have great weapons.

Eternal Hatred against Elves or other ASF units is very usefull..
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

whitewolf wrote: Eternal Hatred against Elves or other ASF units is very usefull..

And that's about the only time it's worth it.

Of course, that would be list tailoring...
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Vulcan wrote:
whitewolf wrote: Eternal Hatred against Elves or other ASF units is very usefull..

And that's about the only time it's worth it.

Of course, that would be list tailoring...

Then again, Elves are quite popular. There are also armies that have access to Lore of Slaanesh, lore of Shadw (reducing initiative) and Dwarves have the slowness rune. It only becomes really irrelevant against armies such as Ogres, O&G, Skaven & TK. It's not the best thing in the world, but guaranteed re-rolls to hit, regardless of initiative is something you should pay a premium for.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

My top three favourites are:

1- Level 4 Metal mage
2- Dark Riders
3- Cold One Knight bus

As far as I'm concerned, the only truly bad option in our book is the unmounted Medusa. Everything else is completely useable if you use them correctly.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

also dont forget that there are several ways for your guys to gain ASL
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Top 3:

1. Mounted characters (Fast cav characters are just so good. Pegasusi-mounted as well.)
2. Warlocks (Massively underpriced. They do everything and they do it well.)
3. Dark Riders (Such a good core choice. 4+ armour fast cav with decent shooting and combat ability.)

Bottom 3:

1. Fleetmaster. (Easily the worst character in the game.)
2. Sisters of Slaughter. (Why would you pick them? I actually like to compare them to Warlocks instead of any infantry units. They have the same amount of attacks, but Warlocks are +1S and poison, their ward save works all the time and they are mages and fast cav.)
3. Bloodwrack Medusa. (Way too expensive for what is essentially a really poor redirector.)
Deadsun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deadsun »

Best:
1) Pegasus Master - its a pretty obvious option that is so good it is unreal. It is so very very wrong that this can take more damage than a guy riding a manticore that it cant be too long before a new edition readresses the balance.
At least not having an official figure for it means that the battlefields of the warhammer world are not entirely swamped by them.
2) Morathi – I love her not only has she got a great story (and that so many people love to hate her), a nice retro model, but for 375, in my opinion, she is about the best value sorceress you can get. She has a good leadership so can be your general, benefits from T4, has a 4+ ward and Magic resistance 2 and that +D3 to cast anything is great. My absolute favourite thing about her is simply knowing that i can always get Miasma, Doombolt and Spirit Leech reducing the randomness of magic so very much. Regards ET magic i am yet to use her but those bonuses to cast and knowing three lores has to be good.
3) Dark Riders. A 4+ save on fast cavalry is just awesome. I will always have at least 2 units these in my army.

Worst:
1) Fleet Master - im not sure I even see what he is there to achieve that is different to using a master or a dreadlord tooled exactly how i want them. If only you could have more points of magic items then i might consider it, for fluff reasons.
2) Harpies - they are just too expensive now for what they do and being in special means i could just get another RBT for the same price. Given that there are other chaff units to pick from for not many more points that are likely to do a lot more in the game, Harpies are sadly redundant.
3) Dreadspears - they are not as resilient as the swordsmen corsairs or even dark shards, they have to compete for points with Witch Eleves and Dark Riders and they are not even that cheap anymore. the killer for me is you only get the bonus for spears if you are not the person charging, Im attack minded. Very nice iconic looking models just so much else is better. Maybe useful in that eternal king list with the martial prowess, but so is everything else.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I find harpies to be invaluable. I'll grant you they're not as good as they used to be. The point increase and removal of the beasts rule rather crimps what they can do. (The move to special is nothing; I never use my full special allowance as it is.)

However, there is one thing they can do that nothing else can: fly on a 25mm base. This gives them an edge in getting into that tight spot where you absolutely MUST have a single-turn diversion without blocking your charge lanes.

I use one unit as an emergency backup chaff. It says 1" behind the main combatants until it is needed, to prevent it from being shot out. Yes, it can still be magic missiled... but very few people bother with 30 Witches and 30 Executioners bearing down on them.