Hydra or Kharibdyss?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Hydra or Kharibdyss?

Post by blackrobe »

Which is better? Kharibdyss or War Hydra?
blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Hydra or Kharibdyss?

Post by blackrobe »

I made this post as a reply what the hell. It isn't worthy of being a topic but feel free to answer me anyways.

You may believe that this is an ignorant question but a person's initial reaction is worth more to me than a drawn out discussion.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Personally, the drawn out discussion is kind of necessary, as which is better is only meaningful when measured in the context of an objective!

Here's my shot at a quick answer; I prefer the hydra. I think the fluff, feel and general aesthetic is better. It takes special points, which I have spare, rather than rare which I'd rather be spending on Warlocks. I like the breath weapon. It feels more defensive with regeneration, rather than the higher WS/S. However, I inexperienced in playing either unit (I have field just the hydra once), and these are scattered thoughts at best.

I'd suggest giving us a bit more to work with - who do you usually fight, how do you like to play, what units will it be supporting, what role is it trying to fill? "Better" only makes sense when you've got that kind of framework to measure against!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

blackrobe wrote:I made this post as a reply what the hell. It isn't worthy of being a topic but feel free to answer me anyways.

You may believe that this is an ignorant question but a person's initial reaction is worth more to me than a drawn out discussion.

Moderator's note for blackrobe.
Your post was a reply to Clarification: Hydra, to which last answer was made on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am (more than two month ago).
That thread dealt with beastmasters rules and hydra modelling.

It is much better to create a new thread than necromancing an old one and derailing it.

Calisson
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

from my point of few the Hydra is more an Infantry hunter while the Kharibdyss is a monster hunter.
with its Breath Weapon and Regen rule the Hydra will be able to outlast the Kharibdyss vs a volume of attacks.
while the Kharibdyss with its S7 Poison attacks and single target special rule can make short work of any single large model that it comes into contact with.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Eldarwonderland
Warrior

Post by Eldarwonderland »

Hydra for me, but K-beast also makes the opponent re-roll leadership tests which could be good in a close CR situation.

As a previous poster mentioned, hit with all 5 attacks and a bonus of D6 str 7 HITS results.... that should wipe out most nonsters in one go.
Avatars of War: ordered vestals in March for April delivery, finally arrived Dec 15 2014
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hydra is a tank.
if you're facing s3 and to some extend s4 infantry, the hydra can act on its own to bold them down nearly indefinitely.

Kharibdyss is a scalpel.
it has ridiculous strength but is crazy squishy (especially for a monster), to the point that where it would benefit most from its high S (monsters and characters) it is also the most vulnerable. It is great at opening cans that are knights, and it is great as a support hiwler to help break enemy units.

Their roles are very different. I would never take a hydra against chaos... but I would never take kharibdyss against greenskins.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Hydra performs best against S3 infantry. T5, plenty of attacks, breath weapon and thunderstomp means the Hydra will almosy always come out on top. The problem I see is that a fair number of DE units (Corsairs, Witches, Black Guard) will also come out victorious, and 2 of those are Core units. The Hydra is not bad, and I have even used one a couole of times to good effect, but we have units that also perform better against those units.

A Kharibdyss performs best against single targets; Monsters, Chariots etc. It's S7 makes it great for taking out high armour and toughness and good Initiative and Attacks minimises damage against it. Abyssal Howl can be used to great effect with other Dark Elves accessories like the Bloodwrack Shrine and Shroud of Despair and can help take out Steadfast blocks or improve survivability through a failed fear test which makes it rather credible against Infantry units too.

They perform different roles and do so fairly well, it all depends on what you need. I personally prefer the Kharibdyss, as it offers more to the army that I play, whereas a Hydra may benefit yours more.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Hydra can take on parge units of moderatlu armored and less troops no problem.

Kharibdyss is made for brawling withnmonsrees or Ahmed agree ly armored eleites.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd go with a Hydra because they're a little more survivable. However, as others have said, they both have their uses, and there are plenty of cases where a K-Beast will outshine a Hydra.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Horses for courses.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Against high toughness and better yet High Armour Class opponents I prefer the Kharibdyss. It is so much fun to charge this thing into the flank of a unit of Inner Circle Knights.

The Hydra is better against hordes of enemies with S3 attacks.

As dalamar already said the hydra is the tank, the Kharibdyss is the scalpel
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by blackrobe »

Calisson wrote:
blackrobe wrote:I made this post as a reply what the hell. It isn't worthy of being a topic but feel free to answer me anyways.

Moderator's note for blackrobe.
Your post was a reply to Clarification: Hydra, to which last answer was made on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am (more than two month ago).
That thread dealt with beastmasters rules and hydra modelling.

It is much better to create a new thread than necromancing an old one and derailing it.

Calisson

A two month old post which is on the second page of the "Druchii Army Discussion" sub-forum is not old. Am I allowed to post in a 2 month old topic? If not the forum should prevent me from doing so.
The "Kharibdyss" is referenced twice in a 10 post topic.
The opening post, the topic, references the rules.
The two miniatures are similar in appearance, and in the rule book. They both cost 160 points. Look at their stats, they are very similar.
Whether the beastmasters were relevant was a question of mine also.
People in the thread were speaking openly and honestly, which made my question relevant in my mind. I wanted people to give me their first reaction opinion.

You should probably ban me for what I did.

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread it was very helpful I appreciate it.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

No need to get all defensive. They fixed the issue without incident.

In the future, issues like this can be avoided by having a look at the section entitled "forum rules and FAQ". There is a subsection of that entitled "posting guidelines" which covers this topic in depth, without any need to ban anybody. :)

Hope that helps.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Saintofm wrote:Kharibdyss is made for brawling withnmonsrees or Ahmed

Exactly. Any Withnmonsrees or Ahmed match-up requires a serious application of fisticuffs from a Kharibdyss.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...