RBT - go big or go home?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: RBT - go big or go home?

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Dont forget that the ScourgeRunner is still a Chariot with D6 S4 Impact Hits and 4 S4 Attacks on the charge.
Ppl seem to forget that to often and only see it as a mobile RBT.
Ive charged it into numerous combats to score additional CR or into Skirimisk units. simply because ppl forget that ots still a chariot. and im happy if it stayed that way :mrgreen:
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

To me the scourgerunner are more easy points than a RBT as it has twice the cost, less distance and can't do multishots.

Also, because of that range, the RBT can deploy so far back that it will be hard for my enemies to shoot them down with simple weapons like bows and such, without coming in range for my units to charge in and destroy them.

If they use magic on one RBT, great... magic wasted to take 70 pts.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Although i don't use the Scourgerunner al that much.... I also don't use RBT all that much.

The few times i have use RBT it was in a list with several units of RXB. When used like that RXB are excellent. Since they do tremendous damage for the points they cost...and are a good way to take down cavalry. RBT are good...but as soon as you join combat they are totally useless.

The Scourge Runner is a unit that does several things really well....hunt monster, hunt cavalry...and adds some well needed combat res in ongoing combats.
Although not as versatile in shooting as our RBT the Scourge Runner is a unit that can be brought into any list, but will be more usefull in lists that depend more on Close Combat.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

With 4 RBT on the board, I have been given stern looks for the "cheese" factor. But with some SR chariots, I may not get those looks as much. But really, my meta is so cheese heavy that I might use 4 RBT and 2 SR chariots.

Can't bring a knife to a gun fight.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I've fielded 8 in the past.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Dalamar wrote:I figured this methodology... seems to work for me.
How many points do you have to spend on artillery?
150?
2 Reapers
250?
3 reapers
300?
2 Scourgerunners
THIS seems the most useful advice I've read in there.
If I understand correctly, the reason is that Dalamar plays all his games on same size tables.

At low pts, most of the board is empty.
LOS are free, with few units blocking it.
Distances are large and units stay vulnerable for several turns until they get into melee.
This is a dream for RBTs.

At high pts, the board is crammed.
LOS are blocked by own troops, except with very careful positioning;
=> either you hamper your own maneuver because of your shooting, or reversely.
There are units packed everywhere, which very soon come into melee and make shooting useless.
This is when a unit able to move 9" and turn at will AND shoot is more useful than a fixed one, even if its shooting is less efficient.
Also, a unit which can join a fight is more useful than a passive one.
This is when SR begin to be useful.

Conclusion:
Those who play with a low density (too few pts on too large tables) love RBT and hate SR.
Those who play with a high density (too many pts on too small tables) think that RBTs are not that efficient;
among those, Dalamar dared to try SR despite initial weariness, and found their usefulness.

I would suspect that the BM on SR would behave like a super-SR and work best on very densely crammed fields,
better than SR with his divine shooting skills and his ability to get magic objects,
taking twice less space than 2 SR, and able to hide behind lots of covers - only cannons remain a pain.

Thank you Dalamar.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If we get merged profiles, BM on scourgerynner might becone a character of choice for me. Fast, powerful ranged attack and a scary charge with the cloak of twilight.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Dalamar wrote:If we get merged profiles, BM on scourgerynner might becone a character of choice for me. Fast, powerful ranged attack and a scary charge with the cloak of twilight.

I honestly think a manticore would still edge out for me... Even faster, and even scarier charge (impact hits not getting special rules and whatnot). And the chariot would still be T4 :/
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

That and you wouldnt benefit half as much from the +D3 attacks with him on a SC.
Tho the thought of hitting most things on a 2+ with a S7 shot is also very tempting
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Bloodshakes
Corsair

Post by Bloodshakes »

I have trouble playing with chariots so I like the Reapers more, that is my personal favor :)
My favorite unit ATM: Cold One Knights