Odd tournament - Anyone ever seen this?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Remydon
Trainee Warrior

Odd tournament - Anyone ever seen this?

Post by Remydon »

So, I went to a tournament at my FLGS, and the organization was a bit odd.

11 people showed up, so someone always had a bye each round. The scoring was W/L/D, with wins being worth 3, draws worth 1, and loss 0. Byes counted as automatic wins. Ties were broken by game progress (who completed the most rounds/phases in their game).

The tournament was 2500 points, with 2 hours per round :shock: . Needless to say, most people never finished more than 4 turns per round. When time was called, all play stopped immediately and the results were calculated.

So my first game was blood and glory, which I had not planned on seeing at a tournament. My list was character heavy (3 Pegasus characters, cauldron and SS), so I barely had enough banners not to auto lose. Fortunately, I got a Skaven opponent in the same boat, so after four rounds of glaring at each other through a storm banner it finally dropped and I was able to combo charge his death star with my Pegasus characters and assasinate his general and BSB to secure the win.

Second round is Dawn battle (or whatever it is called, scenario number 1), I'm up against ogres. There's a huge messy combat between my witch elves and cauldron and his gutstar, maneaters, and wizard who had managed to turn into a dragon, and he manages to wipe out the whole unit (my SS was in it) for a huge number of victory points. The next turn, I rear charged his gutstar with all three Pegasus characters, and wipe out nearly the entire unit, (cloak of twilight lord killed 4 ogres on his own, the other two managed to get three, so 21 wounds + rear charge and BSB to nothing for combat resolution). Just as he's getting ready to take a break test, time is called and we're told to stop immediately. This combat would have resulted in a draw, if not tipped the scales to a win for me. Very frustrating.

Final round, I get a bye somehow and ended up in 4th. The top three players all ended up with 2 wins and a draw each. The one who got first had a bye the first round, and somehow was placed over a wood elf player who had tabled 2 of his opponents by round 3. Somehow the player getting the bye was credited with finishing 6 rounds to break the tie, while tabling your opponent was penalized. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Either way, I don't think I'll be returning if this particular TO is running the next one.
Cold73
Highborn

Re: Odd tournament - Anyone ever seen this?

Post by Cold73 »

Two hour tournaments....nope...never seen that before....
If this is know in advance then you can plan for it....but even then...I think this really favours Death Stars.

The one thing I find really odd...is to stop playing immidiately when the organizers call it.... Not even finishing the rounds..... odd....

I would not right of this tournament yet....just wait and see what they do next year.
If you like handicaps like that...and enjoy frustrating your opponent,,,this can be interesting.... Running around your opponent for an hour and a half....setting up charges...and then in your turn....kill some units...and make your turn last for half an hour ;-)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Odd tournament - Anyone ever seen this?

Post by Omnichron »

Most tournaments with such amount of points are at least 2,5 hours... 2 hours is fine for 2k and less points most of the time.

The biggest problems I've had previously with the time frame was when I met shooty lists with a close combat army and my opponent spends all the time thinking and tweaking positions slightly, clearly wasting all the time so that I won't have many rounds in close combat... so instead of winning 20 - 0, I get a meager 11 - 9 victory out of it.

As for the 3-1-0 pts system... sounds a bit weird to me, but that is because the system that they also use in ETC is in every tournament I join now.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10