Battle vs. Vampire Counts

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

DA SAVAGE
Warrior

Battle vs. Vampire Counts

Post by DA SAVAGE »

What do you guys find works against Vampires. I haven't fought them in about a year all I know is he doesn't like ghouls.
Thanks in advance!
This was my third army my other armies are
3200 points of dwarfs
3000 of tomb kings
About 3000 of this but it will be 4000 after Christmas
And 2500 Orcs and Goblins
Silentdan
Shade

Re: Battle vs. Vampire Counts

Post by Silentdan »

Lore of death is a godsend. Snipe out his lords and heroes and watch as everything falls apart. Purple Sun also demolishes everything it touches. Go with level 4 ring of hotek and a unit of locks to carry her. 4 rbts to pummel the terror giest and CoK s to clean up what is left. A hero with peg and cot will also wreck house on his monstrous units. Also don't get caught in his blender just snipe it and shoot it and you are good to go.
DA SAVAGE
Warrior

Post by DA SAVAGE »

Thank you will do
This was my third army my other armies are
3200 points of dwarfs
3000 of tomb kings
About 3000 of this but it will be 4000 after Christmas
And 2500 Orcs and Goblins
Beastlord Rakarth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Beastlord Rakarth »

Disclaimer: I don't play Dark Elves but am looking to start an army; however, my main army is Empire and my regular opponent is Vampire Counts.

First, if your opponent decides to use the End Times Undead Legion list, his armies won't crumble if the general is slain, since that list uses its own undead rules. Frankly, there isn't really a reason for an undead player to not use the Undead Legion list.

As stated above, definitely have something to counter the Terrorgheist. If you can at least wound it, the effectiveness of its scream lessens (2D6 + Terrorghiest wounds remaining (max 6) - opponent's leadership, with no armor save allowed - can be used in combat). At full wounds, it would do an average of five wounds against a Ld8 opponent, with no armor save allowed - terrible for certain units such heavy cavalry, lone characters, or war machines. In addition to bolt throwers, a character on Pegasus with the Chill Blade and the Cloak of Twilight would manhandle it on the charge since it only has a 6+ regeneration save.

Try to avoid committing your characters and high armor save units (such as COK) against his Grave Guard since they (A) may have Great Weapons, and (B) have Killing Blow. I lost a BSB and a Warrior Priest in one round of combat to Killing Blow during my last game...

Against his Vampires, perhaps a character with the Black Amulet, Dawnstone, and Other Trickster's Shard could help. Although I'm sure there are better builds here that have been suggested by experienced Dark Elf players. Too bad you don't have Witch Hunters...

Melee is your strongest weapon due to the Unstable rule. If you can put out a lot of damage and/or get a high static CR, the undead units will start to melt away. I would even suggest taking a horde of 50 spearmen as part of your core. I've had great success with Empire Spearmen without shields, even though they are considered a suboptimal infantry unit in the Empire (the consensus is that halberdiers are the most cost effective infantry). I usually had the spearmen supported by a Warrior Priest with hatred, and sometimes the prayer, Hammer of Sigmar (re-roll to wound), but your spearmen will have a re-roll to hit from ASF every round, not to mention the Murderous Prowess ability. I'm not sure what this community's thoughts are on spears vs. swords, but I think having the extra attacks is better than the 6+ parry save for combat resolution, since in this case you want to be as aggressive as possible to maximize Unstable casualties. This would even be a good unit to engage the Grave Guard since their Killing Blow would be wasted and they aren't all that tough to kill. If he takes a huge unit of them, try to break their rank bonus with your bolt throwers.

I've had success with five-man detachments of Free Company as chaff units; perhaps ten-man units of Corsairs could fill a similar role - 15 attacks from ten soldiers isn't bad after all (although 10 attacks from five soldiers is better).

Ethereal units are deadly against units without full static CR, so it may be worth equipping some characters with cheap 5 point magic items to help deal with ethereal units.