Dealing with cheap characters

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Akholrak
Executioner

Dealing with cheap characters

Post by Akholrak »

Hi all.

I regularly play a Two Towers list with a block of Witches with Cauldron and Executioners with Shrine. I have played the list for a few months and have often been victorious. Recently, however, a few players in my group have incorporated cheap, naked/mostly naked characters into their lists which have been difficult to deal with. I usually take out their chaff by turn 2 and move my Cauldron unit to deal with their combat units. However, when I get too close for their liking, the cheap character redirects my unit, preventing me from getting into combat with the intended unit.

So, how do I deal with these characters, and how can I mitigate the trouble they cause?
marcopollo
Assassin

Re: Dealing with cheap characters

Post by marcopollo »

Your opponents are using a decent strategy with no easy counters. You can, of course, snipe them with death magic and pummel them with RBT when they are out in the open (add the resulting panic checks). But, by an large, the solutions come to changing with your meta. Perhaps the two towers list is not so effective due to this counter strategy.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

He's using cheap characters in a chaff roll. Standard anti-chaff tactics apply. Shoot them off the field, or use your own chaff to keep them from getting into position. If all else fails, use your chaff to screen your main combat units from his during the turn you're running his chaff characters down.
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

@marcopollo

Thanks for your advice. It is indeed quite troublesome. I guess the only issue with Death is short range, so I may have to mount my mage on steed or pegasus to get full use of the snipe spells.

@Vulcan

The problem is that they remain with a unit, and only when I get within charging range of the unit, the character marches out and prevents me from charging them. A Bretonnian Knight can move 16". Skaven/Elf characters can march 10" - enough to chaff me up and keep me out for another turn. Usually, their other chaff units are gone when I also run 3 RBT's, Shades and 3 units of Dark Riders.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

We were just talking about this in the other Witch thread, haha. I think the best advise is to change up your list. Try different things, like spamming smaller units of witches. Keep your opponents off guard, never knowing what you'll bring to the fight. They are evolving their strategy to beat yours, so change it up and keep them on the back foot.

If you're set on the witch horde, and gods know I love it, protect them. Don't over commit right away and get chaffed up, chasing butterflies. Screen with Dark Riders, your shades, even warlocks. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Make them enter your effective charge ranges. Pushing Dark Riders up and fleeing through the witches is a favorite of mine. Sure they can redirect into the horde, but that's what you want! If they fail, all the better :D