Fluff aside. What does EoT mean for our model range in 9th?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Blickwither
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Fluff aside. What does EoT mean for our model range in 9

Post by Blickwither »

There is no indication whatsoever yet that Ninth will continue with the end times structures. Why would it when end times has finished? Its an opportunity for them to scratch fluff and rebuild using the same armies or i could see them possibly doing the "high" period e.g. sigmars time etc. But there's no reason to assume we only have one unified army. Eugh... ***** high elves...
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Blickwither wrote:There is no indication whatsoever yet that Ninth will continue with the end times structures. Why would it when end times has finished? Its an opportunity for them to scratch fluff and rebuild using the same armies or i could see them possibly doing the "high" period e.g. sigmars time etc. But there's no reason to assume we only have one unified army. Eugh... ***** high elves...

I like your optimism, but unlike the single average-sized book they pumped out for Storm of Chaos all those years ago, they've made ET much bigger. The consequences of SoC were never really written into any of the rulebooks or 'official' background beyond WD. It was definitely forgotten well before 8th ed turned up.

I don't think they'll rewind it. That means a lot of models, particularly expensive ones, get taken off the table (in every sense). They may get FW to do something like that, especially since they've been making WH30k.

I think they've made too much of a show with ET to wave it all away with no consequences. I get the impression we're going to see something like PP's Warmachine with its lower model count and similarity to 40k (in terms of round bases etc.), hell, fantasy and 40k rules have been getting increasingly similar over the years. Given that they've plugged all the winds of magic into various characters, I expect they'll take that thread somewhere. It will likely make the game much more character and story/scenario-driven than it is now.

It's a brave new world.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I do think that the EoT stuff will blow over end become absolute with the new 9th edition approaching.
Why? Look at the number of things that has become a main rule instead of just an End of Time rule. Of all the 5 books..only two rules have become main stream.
50% lord allowance...and the Lore of Undeath.
Besides even though GW has made many errors. Even I don't think that GW is that stupid to let the EoT rules continue knowing it is completely broken.
(I know..I know...I'm a optimist)

I think the main reason the EoT was introduces was to get a fresh new start with new rules. Rules that allow for 2 things.
1) have the same large battle we do now and enjoy.
2) allow for skirmish games.

GW has always wanted a hand in the skirmish game industry...but they had nothing to over. (LoTR sounds nice...but GW has no say about models and rules)
Now they have a good chance..... Skirmish Games using the models of Warhammer Fantasy.
Making it easier for new players to enter into Warhammer...because Skirmish games require far less models. So players can start playing even if they don't have hunderds of euro;s to purchase a mediocre army.

I think however that the armies will combine. I think there will only be a few main stream armies left behind. Elves; Chaos; Undead and something like Order or Light maybe two more factions.

What that will do to our models. I will not be surprised if the models can still be uses but that every upgrade will cost you extra points.
Base Model: Infantry starts with hand weapon and light armour
want is to have spears? +x points want it to be stubborn +x points
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Cold73 wrote:Why? Look at the number of things that has become a main rule instead of just an End of Time rule. Of all the 5 books..only two rules have become main stream.
50% lord allowance...and the Lore of Undeath.

I think what intrigues me is the 'Go nuts' approach to army construction they put in Archaon. Right at the end of 5th edition, WD ran a competition for people to come up with the stupidest, most broken list they could (albeit within the standard restrictions) with their models. You had one with something like 20 goblin shaman riding their own personal gorgon in character selection.

If I have a point, it's that the following edition completely wiped warhammer clean. GW reset the game to be more balanced and streamlined.

More wild and rampant speculation, but I reckon we'll see some form of similar reset, even if it is just to bring in some form of skirmish rules or a more scenario-based/story-driven game.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

T.D. wrote:This is why I really, really hope the armies aren't combined for 9th.

If combined, there will be no motivation for GW to create balanced individualised races.

Balanced races..... Did I miss something ? When was the game ever even close to balanced?
Also known as Kanadian
tehnico
Warrior

Post by tehnico »

Killerk wrote:Balanced races..... Did I miss something ? When was the game ever even close to balanced?

Well... most armies have a cheesable list these days, so it's about as balanced as it can get at the moment IMO.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's a problem inherent to a miniature army game I think. Either you sacrifice heroism and 'realism' for balance and gameplay, or you sacrifice balance and gameplay for heroism and realism.
I think they are trying to strike a balance, which reminds me a bit of MGT, where deck A > deck B > deck C > deck A so that every army has its shining moments though the games themselves are inherently imbalanced. That way everyone gets to be a hero over another hero.

If, for example, they'd baseline a few aspects of the game across all armies, then the differences between the armies would be smaller. The games might be more tactical at the cost of variety if the armies are perfectly balanced, or a single army might become the obvious winner.

Letting each army make different rules kind of breaks an otherwise computable victor.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Killerk wrote:
T.D. wrote:This is why I really, really hope the armies aren't combined for 9th.

If combined, there will be no motivation for GW to create balanced individualised races.

Balanced races..... Did I miss something ? When was the game ever even close to balanced?

8th is far more balanced than 4th, which was more balanced than 3rd. So it's slowly being get closer over the years :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Still it's no were near balanced. But I think you might not have to worry about warhammer, as it might get axed all together, we should know soon, as they are having a VIP meeting.
Also known as Kanadian
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Killerk wrote:Still it's no were near balanced. But I think you might not have to worry about warhammer, as it might get axed all together, we should know soon, as they are having a VIP meeting.

Well this sounds ominous. :shock: What's your source? :?
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

No source, as some of you know I run a company in the hobby, and word gets around. This is not confirmed but WFB makes about 10% of GW income, some are wondering if there is any point in investing in it, or to commit time and effort on the 90%.

This makes sence, with all the other little facts, but like I said, not confirmed. But verry probable.
Also known as Kanadian
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Killerk wrote:No source, as some of you know I run a company in the hobby, and word gets around. This is not confirmed but WFB makes about 10% of GW income, some are wondering if there is any point in investing in it, or to commit time and effort on the 90%.

This makes sence, with all the other little facts, but like I said, not confirmed. But verry probable.

I think I would rather see them abandon the game than to turn it into some sort of abomination that we veterans will not be able to stomach. I still think this would cause a slow death of even 8th edition but at least we could play our beloved game a couple more years before the lack of new players makes it vanish like so many games of old.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

The thing with companies like GW is they don't really care about the game or it's loyal costumerss, they do care about the worth of their shares. What I understand they have a big buissiness with lost of money at stake. And the game isnt al that good, there are alternatives with better rules and better models. Its just they are not fantasy and or 28km scale.
Also known as Kanadian