Which other units complement Executioners best ?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Which other units complement Executioners best ?

Post by Lord Drakon »

I always loved the models, now it is really time to learn how to field them effectively. The question is simple, what other Dark Elf options in the form of units, characters etc. complement Executioners best ? What is the most viable use of at least 30 executioners ? Three small units of 10 or one big of of 30 ? Also what uses of magic will complement this strong fragile elite infantry ?

So it is not really if they are viable, but how to optimize their use competitively
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: Which other units complement Executioners best ?

Post by Red... »

Magic:
Lore of metal has some very useful spells, but also some that are redundant:
- Glittering scales gives a 5+ scaly skin save, making executioners have a 3+ save
- Final transmutation is great for crippling horde units that execs struggle with due to lack of attacks (first 1/3 approx are killed, then the rest have to take stupidity tests next turn, which can really hurt horde armies)
- Enchanted blades of Aiban gives +1 to hit, which hugely ameliorates their biggest weakness (lack of a re-roll for their to-hit rolls)
- Transmutation of lead can be useful for lowering enemy unit WS and BS, thus reducing incoming missile fire damage and making execs more likely to hit on 3s when fighting high WS opponents.
- But searing doom and golden hounds, which are good for killing heavily armoured foes, somewhat duplicate the role of executioners (to kill heavily armoured and high toughness foes), so are less useful.
- Plague of rust, which permanently reduces armour saves, is also potentially redundant unless directed against heavy cavalry, as execs already have a -3 to AS rolls

General supporters:
Chaff clearers - either fast troops or mobile missile fire - are a good compliment for execs - anything that keeps enemy units from redirecting your execs or getting in their way.
Chariots are great for fitting in at the sides
Other melee units can be useful, but can be repetitive. I tend to take either a horde of witches or a horde of execs, but not both
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you dont want to go the dual horde route with a secobdary horde of witch elves, then small units of witch elves protecting execs from easy to kill but numerous units will do perfect.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Executioners are VERY good at eliminating stuff with high armor saves. That's what they do.

But with their single attack they fall short dealing with large hordes of stuff. Fortunately, that's something Witches excel at.

So a horde of Executioners can be naturally paired up with Witches for a double threat.

The other thing you need is plenty of chaff, chaff control, and deployment control. You don't want to wind up with your Witches commited to facing Knights while the Executioners are stuck in a big block of Men-At-Arms.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Getting the execs into the right targets without being shot up is optimal. Tullaris or a brewhag gives the unit frenzy and can be effective at helping with combat output and helping with the loss of troops to magic and shooting. DR and warlocks help clear a path for the exec's to get stuck in.
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

I have been using metal my last few games and have loved it with a witch hoard and an exec hoard. Giving execs +1 to hit makes them hit on 2's wound on 2's for most enemies which is as close to auto wounding as you're going to get. Giving them +2 Armor is also awesome. I love those two spells. The others are just bonuses and can destroy armor. It's nice to have a wound on armor save against stuff like daemon grinders and stuff with higher toughness than 5-6. I run it with a lvl 2 dark to snag a couple nasties form that lore as well.

Hag with brew in execs can help with a few extra attacks but costs quite a little chunk. But you could run one hag and place her into whichever unit would most benefit each game.