Shrine of Slaughter

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Shrine of Slaughter

Post by Lord Drakon »

After looking for synergies between Sisters of Slaughter, and how make the Sisters viable especially a combination with the Bloodwrack Shrine seems the best option. I like it so much I believe some of you might like it too.

Therefore I present to Druchii.net a possible new unit:

Shrine of Slaughter: 350 points

Special Rules:
Terror, Always Strike First, Murderous Prowess, Negate Rank Bonus, + 1 Leadership, + 1 Combat Resolution, - 1 Leadership Enemy, Killing Blow Avert your Gaze, Magical Shooting Killing Blow Attack Bloodwrack Stare, Trial of Blades, Magic Resistance (1).

C W W W SB
S W W W S
S W W W S
S W W W S
S W W W S

In short, an unit that can the same impact as an Cold One Chariot on the charge. It has magical shooting 12" with Killing Blow for ethereals, characters and low Initiative units. Killing Blow Strength 4 attacks on models in base contact if they did not avert their gaze with no armour saves allowed. Sisters normally struggle against high armoured knights, not anymore. It negates enemy rank bonus while it has static resolution of 4 itself. In combat it is an hard to kill or even to do damage to unit while possible to inflict wounds most of the time. It can charge, it can shoot, it can hold and it can break.

It has 10 Tougness 3 Wounds with 6+ and 4++ and 5 Toughness 6 Wounds.
The Shrine of Slaughter excel in the following:

Chariot
D6 Strength 6 Impact Hits, Avert your Gaze, 3 Medusa Attacks, 2 Shrine Keeper Attacks, 7 Sister Attacks = dead people

Shooting
12 " Strength 4 (4 attacks) Magical Killing Blow attacks.

Anvil
In Combat very difficult to kill or inflict wounds to the Sisters and the Shrine itself. It has Leadership 10, Steadfast and 5 Static Combat Resolution. Even when attacked on all sides (which will happen as anvil) it is super combat effective, as the Sisters are on that sides returning 2 attacks each ! Put an character with Crown of Command and this unit will likely survive every battle when reached combat. The name of Shrine of Slaughter is based on the combination of the two units, but I believe it will also get this reputation at our enemies: as whatever they will send to kill or break this unit: their models will be offered on the Shrine of Slaughter !

Unit Breaker
Last of all, this unit is not only very hard to kill or to break in combat as an Anvil. It is also very dangerous for enemy units without more than 3 ranks and low Leadership (with -1 modifier). The fact that it is very hard to kill anything of the Shrine of Slaughter, while it will most of the times kill something of the enemy unit + 5 static combat resolution will win 75% of all your combats. For Unbreakable units which cannot flee it will be returned in extra dead models. For Stubborn units this means an Break Test with - 1 Leadership. For units without Stubborn or Unbreakable this can likely result into Flee! and Capture for the Glory of Khaine.

Now compare this Anvil to our other option, the Black Guard. For 400 points you can have 25 Black Guard with Full Command. Black Guard have Stubborn and Eternal Hatred compared to the shitload of special rules of the Shrine of Slaughter. Shrine of Slaughter is much harder to kill.

Normally trouble what to do with Skaven ? Use a Shrine of Slaughter and do not try to kill those hundreds of models, just break them.
This unit can win from Monsters, Hordes, Anvils, Busses, Heavy Cavarly, Ogres, Elite Infantry, Characters and Ethereals.

The only drawback is against shooting armies without any combat like Wood Elves. Dwarfs ? Just sacrifice enough chaff to bring this unit into combat and you win. Avoidance ? Shoot

I hope I convinced Druchii.net somehow to the era of the Shrine of Slaughter
Please elaborate if not convinced
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Shrine of Slaughter

Post by Haagrum »

I heartily support this unit design. By my calculations, the unit you've described comes in at under 350 points, leaving aside any magical banners. In a 2000 point game, that's plenty of room to include a unit of Warlocks.

I have been running Sisters with the Bloodwrack Shrine since my first game with our 8th ed book. In their first two matches, they cut their way through two units of 20 Ghouls and a Terrorgheist, then 4 Beasts of Nurgle and 3 Plague Drones (admittedly, they did have the Banner of Eternal Flame and no serious shooting to contend with). I've been sold on them ever since.

12 Sisters + Shrine and the Flaming Attacks banner is a mobile unit that can pump out a good number of attacks, can threaten most regenerating opponents, and which doesn't give up a lot of combat resolution. They can be fielded in 5x5 formation (with 2 extras) or in 7x3 formation for more close combat punch. The Shrine's Impact Hits and Avert Your Gaze! attacks also provide some extra power against more heavily-armoured opponents that the Sisters might struggle against.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Shrine of Slaughter

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the article.

Cons: all pts in rare. This, plus the fact that its novelty would force people to think out of the box, is probably why few people try.

Pros: a vulnerable character such as sorc or BSB can safely remain in the 2nd rank.
Great for a Life sorc, healing the sisters with the spell and the shrine with the attribute.
Great for the BSB to bring more SCR, plus banner effect, plus rerolls.
Note that in case you wished, a character may make way and displace a command group in order to get in base contact with the enemy.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}