Executioners v White Lions

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

zen
Cold One Knight

Executioners v White Lions

Post by zen »

Who is the best?

Criteria: Horde of 40 with banner of world dragon.

Executioners have Hatred (elves) and killing blow, but need a bsb for the banner.

White Lions are stubborn, reroll fear/panic/terror against elven armies and have a better save against shooting, but are only leadership 8

Any other differences?

What are people's opinions?
Anything but a one... It's a one!

But I've got a reroll... OK that's a one too!!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Executioners v White Lions

Post by Amboadine »

I can't remember if there were any rules in ET:Khaine on whether there were restrictions on putting High elf nobles into units of Dark elves to be able to get the BSB with World Dragon banner into the unit of Executioners. I can't remember any but that doesn't mean there wasn't, I think however not.

Personally however I would go with the Lions, as I would rather have a more mobile BSB, not tied to babysitting and if I remember correct, the Lions have the points allowance for the magic banner upgrade to cover the BotWD.
The leadership should not necessarily be an issue if you keep the General or BSB somewhere in the vicinity to allow for rerolls.

And this may be heresy from a Druchii lord, but I actually prefer the WL models to the Execs.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

Are White Lions S3(5)? Same number of attacks (1)?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Curse_Bearer wrote:Are White Lions S3(5)? Same number of attacks (1)?

White Lions are S4 (6) same as Execs. Cost one point more though. Also move through Forest rule.
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

Stubborn, a 3+ save vs. shooting and the ability to take the Banner without needing a fragile T3 BSB make Lions the choice for me.

KB from the execs is nice but there are a lot of monstrous cav units out there in addition to units with ward saves (built in or magically created via High Lore).
zen
Cold One Knight

Post by zen »

I'd forgotten about them costing more. That and the reduced leadership means I will be sticking with execs. That and I have about 70 of them from when I was going to run a pure khainite army. I think I'll just put the banner somewhere else and leave the execs to their own devices.

Cheers for the replies.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

For only one point more you gain Stubborn, 2 points higher save vs shooting, Forest Strider (of questionable usefulness) and access to a fantastic magic banner.
You lose KB and a point of Ld.

To me, Stubborn otweighs the point of Ld, KB and Forest Strider are both kind of sameish (useless most of the time) and 2 extra points of armor against shooting is well worth the extra point in cost.

Even without BotWD White Lions are simply better... but then again both are really beat by Phoenix Guard so the question is kind of moot.

And I think I would rather have a stubborn chariot than a stubborn cube of infantry (the chariot also being a bit cheaper if I remember right).

Then we have other options... like frenzied Swordmasters with a dark wizard in them for Strength buffs (3S6 attacks are better than 1S6 attacks, I'd say even better than 2 S7 attacks if you use same combination for either White Lions or Execs). But if you want to blend through enemy infantry, nothing still compares to properly buffed witches.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
zen
Cold One Knight

Post by zen »

It's 1+ armour saves I want to get through. The meta here is very WoC heavy, with elves runners up. I'm not sure on the life expectancy of cauldrons now that WoC all have skull cannons. Also, although end times lists are en vogue, end times magic is still taboo.