Black Guard dilemma.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Venomblades
Shade

Black Guard dilemma.

Post by Venomblades »

Hey guys! Currently fielding an army at the moment which i focus on my elite infantry. My worry is they dont have enough support, but i really dont want to lose numbers from my blocks to find points for support models.

So currently in my list i have 2 main infantry blocks, which i believe are the best from DE's. I Have 26 BG, full comand with razor banner and 28 exe's with full command and banner of swiftness.

Those infantry blocks is what i really want to base my army around as i always tend to favour infantry based lists, but as the BG are so expensive, is 26 Overkill? In my special selection i have 2 bolties and 1 Kharibdyss also. Rest of my army is fast cav and shooting. Core is DR's and Darkshards, complimented by a lvl 4 on a dark peg with CoT and a Master BSB on foot with BG. Topped off with 5 doomfires.

Now, i dont like witches or the CoB, i know they are incredibly dangerous but i just dont like to field them. A hag with COB is is not TOOOOOO expensive, but would rather put the points somewhere else.

So, with my two main blocks, what works best in support? Monsters? i havent tried my K-beast yet, but they are promising from what i've seen. Too free up major points people have recommended a BIG block of Corsairsi instead of the BG, then that would free up enough to smash a hydra and other points, but corsairs are pure defensive where as i want all out aggression.

What are your views guys? Really need help as i love the BG and how they work. Exe's r just nasty and i love them also. Oh, this is not an end times army, pure DE build.

Thanks fellow Druchii.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Black Guard dilemma.

Post by Killerk »

To tell you the truth I never use more than 10-12BG and no more than 14 exes.
Also known as Kanadian
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I like infantry hordes too and your numbers are fine-slimming down to the minimum needed risks them losing all effectiveness the first time they get hit by a decent load of missile fire or slapped by a 2d6 magic missile.

The key with support is to keep it cheap yet hard hitting. Chariots are great for that, but s5 is on the low side against some armies. 5 vanilla cold one Knights costs just 150 points and can be aligned with a front rank of 3 and back round of 2 to minimize frontage. K beast is good if you know you are going up against high toughness, heavy armour foes, but as you have a horde of execs it may not be as necessary. Hydras remain pretty ace. You have a lt of good options, it's hard to say that one is better than the others.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Well put, Red.

ideally i think 2 hydras would work nicely with this, but unfortunately i don't think i could find the points, unless i took the bolt throwers out? Bolties have always been either AMAZING, or just absoloutly terrible, but it's one of those things. If i dont take them i feel naked, if i do take them its a 50/50 they will perform haha.
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Hi there,

If your going to run the BG in a large unit then 24 (with character) block should be more than enough gives you 5 ranks, and an effective 15 casualties before you start to lose combat ability, you can also reform when in combat to a wider footprint to get more attacks then reform up after victory if needed.

If you really want aggression then take the CoB with them, reroll to hits everything every round and wound is amazing especially if you can bump up their strength and take razor standard (I take a lvl 4 on dark in their with ring of hotek for 3++ magic ward save) and add in the frenzy spell from CoB and suddenly you can put out a horendous amount of attacks, mostly hitting on 3s so assuming you don't have the frenzy off that's 28 attacks in horde formation (7 models plus the cob)
So if you hit on 3s wound on 4s that's around 18/19 wounds
Hit on 3s wound on 3s that's around 21 wounds
Hit on 3s wound on 2s that's around 24 wounds
Depending on your strength and if you have Razor standard that's decimated most units,

Oh and then the death hag and her attendants step up and add their attacks plus impact hits if you charged.

The bg lack the sheer weight of attacks that witches can put out but they are stubborn, itp, plus have eternal hatred so reroll against everything.

You will lose models back, but with the right magic support you can alleviate some of this (but this applies to all army's and units of course)

It's vulnerable to shooting particularly cannons but you can't have it all!
It was mentioned in another thread earlier this week I think, but I have hit into 2 nurgle palanquins with 30 plague bearers and wiped them out in a round of combat, I've found personally that dark magic works best for me power of darkness/word of pain combo, makes it easier to hit and wound them and harder for them to hit and wound you back (if there is anything left to swing back of course)

Lastly BG are good for this type of unit with stubborn because even if charged from side or rear they still put out a good amount of attacks. I know they get a lot of stick for their cost but squisyness aside I think they justify their cost :-)

Anyway that's enough of me flying the flag for the BG, and don't get me started on sisters!!!
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Thanks for the advice.

I do indeed remember reading something about BG being the perfect CoB pushers, but as it stands in my 2400 list, if i opted for a BSB hag and CoB instead then i would have to drop the K-Beast and 2 BG like u said, dropping them to 24. So all i would have is 2 combat blocks with, BG with CoB with fast cav amd darkshards + Bolt throwers as support. My quiery with this is with just the 2 blocks, BG with CoB, would i not be outnumbered on the battlefield in terms of picking my fights?

I was also thinking of dropping my 2 bolt throwers and 2 BG for a hydra and then taking the dark peg from my lvl 4 and giving it to the master BSB instead with the CoT as i would have something that could possible engage units that are hard to catch, such as gyrocopters etc.

Also, with a list like this i have been using shadow. Would my army benefit more from the lore of Metal by any chance?
Vallers
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vallers »

I play doubles with a friend of mine. He adores witches as core and Executioners as our special choice. I've always been a BG fan, itp, stubborn 9, 2 attacks, S4, eternal hatred, ASF, I6 what's not to like, ok they are 15 pts a model but look what you get for this ?

Saying that, I didnt take them v Chaos this Thu just gone and took a lvl 4 mage with a 4+ ward and crown of command (stubborn) along with a bsb armour save +1 ward 5+ and they worked incredibly.

BG Wong be my go to choice like they were as lots of armies have some heavily armoured units or cav and I need the heavier punch to destroy these. But BG do have a place in my army lists, but I'd field them v HE, WE, Empire, Skaven and weaker more lightly armoured units now.

CoB I always use in Witches for a 5+ ward and keep this unit close to Executioners for re-roll wounds. With option to throw Frenzy on them.

Agree re Dark magic to be combined with Warlocks soulblight !!

Back to BG. They've got a place definitely. But it's now situational. Best units Executioners and witches.

Bolt throwers ? Took 2 v Chaos they hit NOTHING ! Would rather have had Hydra !! We don't need much shooting, a good magic phase and infantry for me
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Both metal and shadow works great with BG/Execs, I´ve been thinking about this too and so I´ve made a couple of lists. Swedish comp scores added as that is the comp pack I use most of the time :)

For lore of metal:

Supreme Sorceress: Level 4 Metal, Talisman of Preservation, Scroll of Shielding (280p)[-28]
Master, Battle standard bearer, Sea dragon cloak, Heavy armour, Enchanted shield, Luck stone, Warrior bane (120p) [-15]
Sorceress, Level 1 Beast, Obsidian Lodestone (110p)[-5]
5 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields (95p) [-4]
5 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields (95p) [-6]
27 Corsairs, FC, Add. Handweapon (327p) [-13]
12 Corsairs, Standard, Musican, Hanbows (152p) [-4]
27 Har Ganeth Executioners, FC (354p) [-28]
24 Black Guard, FC, Razor Standard (435p) [-21]
16 Shades, GW, Musican, Standard (308p) [-25]
5 Harpies (75p) [-4]
2 x Reaper bolt thrower (2x70p) [-7, -9]
Summa (2491) Komp [13,1]

For lore of shadow:

Dreadlord, Ogre Blade, Armour of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, Shield, Seadragon Cloak, Dark Steed, Brace of Repeater Handbows (276p) [-23]
Master, Battle standard bearer, Sea dragon cloak, Heavy armour, Enchanted shield, Luck stone, Warrior bane (120p) [-15]
Sorceress, Level 2, Lore of Shadow, Obisidian Amulet, Scroll of Shielding (160p) [-14]
Sorceress, Level 2, Lore of Shadow, Sceptre of Stability, Opal Amulet (145p) [-14]
Assassin, Add.Hand Weapon, Dark Venom, Other Trickster's Shard (127p)[-2]
9 Dark Riders, Standard, Musician, Shields (173p) [-6]
13 Corsairs, Musican, Add. Handweapon (153p) [-4]
6 Harpies (90p) [-4]
Summa (2500) Komp [14,0]

Or this:

Supreme sorceress, Lore of Shadows, Level 4, Talisman of Preservation(265p)
[-43]
Sorceress, Level 1, Lore of Fire, Obsidian Amulet, (110p) [-12]
16 Darkshards, Standard, Musician, Banner of the eternal flame (222p) [-8]
4 x 13 Corsairs, Add. Handweapon (4x143p) [4x-4]
24 Black Guard, FC (390p) [-21]
Summa (2500) Komp [13,5]

If you want to go all in nasty, get witches instead of corsairs :P
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

20 Black Guard is fine, with razor and FC they rock in at 375 points so they are expensive but not a major point sink.

I have ran a list with a block of BG and Executioners for a while last year. I found that the key is having a strong ranged game to force your enemy to you, as you don't want to be crossing the board with slow infantry. I was running 2-3 bolt throwers, a couple units of DRs, 10 shades and 14ish dark shards so had a reasonable shooting phase. Metal on the level 4 is also key for the Final Trans at range, as well as the armour modifying spells to help out the crossbows and the Black Guard.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Man, those lists are nice!

Forgive me being nieve, but i am unfamiliar with Swedish comp as i've never played a list with those rules.

I REALLY like the corsairs from core also, good defensive unit.

Mikael.k, what list with BG would u write at 2400 points without Swedish comp?

Metal is a go ahead, trying it tonight against WoC!!!
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Thank you Venomblades :) Without swedish comp I´d probably go for a standard dreadlord on a steed with S7, 1+ saves with re-rolls, OTS along with a level 4 with Ring of hotek with scroll. Probably 1-2 peggriders in the heroes section with cloak on one and 4++, charmed shield and lance on the other (BSB upgrade). Witches and DR for core, bolt throwers and BG for special and a unit of warlocks for rare. Should be really nasty.

Demetrius brings out some fair points. In my above mentioned metal list I´d probably drop the shades down to 10 and take another RBT for no additional comp hits. I´d probably also change that level 1 beast sorceress to fire, for that fireball. 3 bolters, 10 shades and a fireball at range, awesome metal buffs for the infantry and final trans and seering doom for some additional nastyness :)

Supreme Sorceress: Level 4 Metal, Ring of Hotek, Scroll of Shielding (285p)[-30]
Master, Battle standard bearer, Sea dragon cloak, Heavy armour, Enchanted Shield, Luck stone, Warrior bane (120p) [-15]
Sorceress, Level 1 Fire, Ruby Ring of Rhuin, Sceptre of Stability (105p)[-5]
6 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields (112p) [-4]
6 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields (112p) [-6]
27 Corsairs, FC, Add. Handweapon, (327p) [-13]
13 Dreadspears, FC, (147p) [-3]
27 Har Ganeth Executioners, FC, Banner of Swiftness (369p) [-28]
10 Shades, GW, Musican (190p) [-13]
5 Harpies (75p) [-4]
3 x Reaper bolt thrower (2x70p) [-7, -9, -12]
Summa (2487) Komp [13,0]

Here´s the reworked list :) Another option for the firemage could be wand of jet and opal amulet.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Ok, so taking your advicer and realising that shooting is probably the best case to help my blocks, i have re-written a list like so:

SS
+lvl 4 + Scroll + ToP + Ruby ring of Ruin + Lore of Metal

MASTER
+Full Mundane Armour + Dawnstone + BSB + Sword of Might + Enchanted Shield

5 Dark Riders
+ Musician + Shields (No xbows - bad choice?)

5 Dark Riders
+ Musician + Shields (No xbows - bad choice?)

15 Darkshards
+ Musician

15 Darkshards
+ Musician + Banner + Banner of eternal flame

24 BG
+ FC + Razor Banner (Master in here)

27 Executioners
+ FC + Banner of swiftness or Lichbone Pennant (Best choice on banner here?)

3 Reaper Bolt throwers

10 Shades
+GW's

5 Doomfire Warlocks

I like the list here, but i feel it's lacking something. In terms of something i mean extra CC support. Any advice?

Also, i am strictly writing to 2400 points value, no end times or swdish/ETC.

P.S. my next match is against HE. I know he's bringing Phoenix guard, as is the norm, but i dont know what else. I think he favours Phoenixes also.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

I´d put crossbows on the DRs for sure and probably have a pegg master BSB instead of the one on foot. If you can, take another bolt thrower aswell, they are better than darkshards :)
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Regards to my darkshards, would it be viable to exchange them for a 3rd infantry block? Like corsairs?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

It wouldnt be bad, but not necessary :)
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Also, in regards to your BSB suggestion, if i put him on a Peg then that would add great support, but as the temptation of picking targets i would be scared he would be outside of the LD re-roll for my CC units. Any suggestions here?

Also, what loadout would you give the BSB peg master?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Either cloak of twilight or talisman of preservation and charmed shield IMO :) Both black guard and execs have Ld9 so they should be allright. Otherwise there is always the gleaming pennant for that extra re-roll.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Weapons for the master? Standard lance?

thanks for your sound advice.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Yup, a lance will do just fine :) Only charge things you can realibly beat in one round of combat.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Sweet! Have the model and peg conversion already! I used him against skaven once and took a doomwheel out straight away.

Thanks buddy :D

P.S. What do you think of BG being supported by a big block of corsairs and Cold One bus with master BSB and Dreadlord in with with the knights?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Glad to hear you had sucess! :)

That support should work just fine, especially with lore of shadow.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Well, my 2nd list is with 27 corsairs (FC with LD banner) 26 BG razor banner + FC and 8 COK's FC + SWiftness banner. 2 other Cold ones are mounted by the dreadlord and master BSB.

Obviously less shooting, but more CC power. My idea was tying up in with my CC blocks and steamrolling through the flanks with my CoK bus. Would i benefit more with my Lvl 4 in the bus?

27 Corsairs 5 wide X 6 deep should stick around for a while, is there anything you would add to a list of such?

Sorry to bother your Mikael.k, i just like to immerse myself in expert players advice as im still 7 months new to WHFB. :D
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

I´m far from any expert, but been enjoying some sucess with my DE :) Keep the dreadlord in the CoK, dont want to put that level 4 into harms way. Have you had a chance to test the corsair unit yet? A bit courious on that one myself.

Your list is good, but a good shooting phase would force your opponent to engage you. Otherwise they might just try to avoid you :)
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

I've used Corsairs a fair few times. They arent' amazing at dealing out damage (Obviously) but with a 4+ save going up against S3 T3 units they are so reliable. Hell, they are only a mindrazor away from being lethal!

I used them against VC one game and for 2-3 turns they were tied down in combat, winning each CC so they, in my mind, are pretty good in unison with CoK as tying units down and steamrolling into flanks with the CoK's is the tactic. I think with BG and corsairs its a very anvil based army with some nice support from dreadlord etc.

Problem is my game against HE is on tuesday so thats 3 days away and i need to buy more corsairs, yet i have 30 witches fully painted. So i think i might stay with witches and slam them into combat before magic whittles them down lol.

Never used a dreadlord before either, so i'm quite excited. Used a master on peg to great effect, so a dreadlord and his S6 power each round will be amazing. And with the armour of destiny giving a 4+ ward ontop of a 1+ AS is tasty.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Mikael.k, do you think a dreadlord Peg general with AoD and Ogre blade is enough to keep him alive, or should i switch to CoT? Im thinking he could got shot all too easy without the Cloak, but on the flip side AoD grants a consistent 4+ ward which is also great. I'm planning on driving him hard into combats, hopefully taking on a frost phoenix with him.