Hellborn and shrine of slaughter

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Fleebo
Trainee Warrior

Hellborn and shrine of slaughter

Post by Fleebo »

Hi just been reading throug the army book and a idear popped in to my head ,
If you put Hellborn in the unit does the -3 penalty your enemy must take on the leader ship for fear cross over to maduceser terror ?

If not what are your views on taking her In this unit ?
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: Hellborn and shrine of slaughter

Post by Red... »

I've tried reading this post several times and still can't understand you.

I can't tell whether I should change the word "shrine" to "sisters" (i.e. "sisters of slaughter" not "shrine of slaughter") or "slaughter" to "bloodwrack" (i.e. "bloodwrack shrine" not "shrine of slaughter")

Also, what on earth is "maduceser terror"? I guess it could be "Medusa terror"

Finally, I'm confused as to what you mean by the -3 leadership modifier. I think you may be talking about superfrenzy, which she has because she is both frenzied and has witchbrew, but that modifier applies to Hellebron, not your opponent's units...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Vallers
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vallers »

Agree, difficult to understand.

Although Hellebron has 'cry of war' which is -3 leadership to Fear tests taken.

Is that what you mean ?
Fleebo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fleebo »

Yes that is what I mean ,

Sorry I wrote this well driven
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

The -3 LD penalty is not used for terror checks. The cry of war explicitly states fear checks only :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I guess Fleebo mean the following unit : http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 59#p916442

Hm now you say it, Hellebron is our best infantry model available. The main drawback from putting Hellebron in the Shrine of Slaughter instead of COB Witch Horde is the lack of a 5+ ward save and therefore 1/3 less wounds inflicted. But there are some synergies.

The cry of war item does make it very likely for the enemy to fail all their fear tests as with Terror from the shrine she also causes fear into enemy units with fear. The - 1 LD from the Shrine adds to the - 3 of the Cry of War item, therefore - 4 LD for fear tests. So that gives here a huge protection not being hit the first place. Most things that cause terror or single models can be killed by her + impact hits. She also gives frenzy to the unit, adding + 1 attack per sister of slaughter. With this even when your shrine of slaughter is charged in front and both flanks they will very likely win combat.

The one big drawback is that the Shrine of Slaughter is very fragile against enemy shooting. With Hellebron you add another very glass cannon character of 310 point, making it a very juicy 660 point target. In my case where I like to have my LVL 4 also in it, thats around 1000 points ! But, it becomes much more magic resilience (+8 to dispell spells cast on the unit if you also have LVL 4) and in combat it will beat anything. If you can prevent it from being shot to death before combat you opponents is going to cry (a lot)

Good idea, I am going to try that setup for sure ! If I would swap BSB Manticore (same amount of points) for her I am taking life magic to make the unit more likely to survive enemy shooting phase (or regrow when reached combat + healing wounds on shrine)
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

Fleebo wrote:Yes that is what I mean ,

You write forum posts while driving ???
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Forum rules prevent me from explicitly telling you exactly how low my opinion of you has just fallen.

Even worse, I suspect based upon what I'm seeing that this last post was also written while driving...
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Phierlihy wrote:

Forum rules prevent me from explicitly telling you exactly how low my opinion of you has just fallen.

Even worse, I suspect based upon what I'm seeing that this last post was also written while driving...

I'm thinking he meant that he was in a passenger seat while typing on his phone. Let's hope so anyway I don't think there are many countries left that don't view typing into a phone while driving as being a criminal offence!

Lord Drakon wrote:The main drawback from putting Hellebron in the Shrine of Slaughter instead of COB Witch Horde is the lack of a 5+ ward save and therefore 1/3 less wounds inflicted. But there are some synergies.

True, but they do still get a 6+ ward save from the Shrine, as well as their natural 6+ save from their shields. So that's a 6+/6++ save with the Cauldron versus the witches NA/5++ save with the Cauldron. Obviously NA/5++ is better than 6+/6++ as the latter can have its 6+ save removed by attacks with AP or S4 and above, but it's still closer than you might think...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The greatest drawback of BwS + SoS is that both are rare.
Otherwise, with Hellebron and a Life Lvl4 inside, that seems to be a nice über-unit.
Still with the usual drawbacks of being frenzy and slow...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Not everyone has the same degree of writing skills. Not everyone is writing in their native language.

Let's cut Fleebo a bit of slack people.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

@T.D. I agree with you, but only to a point. I refer you (if I may, without being cheeky) to the D.Net site FAQ:

Thanee wrote:Etiquette.
A general rule is to just think before you post. We do expect all members to take their time with their posts. A post that makes no sense makes you look like an idiot. If taking three minutes means you post something coherent, you'll be thanked by all.
Before you click the "Submit" button, just give the post a quick once-over and think about whether you've said anything of importance. If the post is inconsequential, just don't bother.

Thanee wrote:Spelling.
Grammar, punctuation and other such things.

Please use proper English words on the forums - this is not a text message or a chatroom, so take your time, and show your wish to make other people’s time in D.net enjoyable. Remember that the site is widely used by people for whom English is not the mother language. They will appreciate to read academic English rather than slang words that they won’t understand.

No textspeak. For example, "Ur so gr8! thx bai."
1337speak and general mutilation of the English language will not be tolerated, and may well result in your post getting outright deleted, no matter its intrinsic value.

Spelling mistakes happen; one or two can be overlooked. We're not expecting literary prose, we appreciate that many of our members either speak another language primarily or have issues with literacy. For those who don't know English that well, you can always download OpenOffice - an excellent freeware works suite - and use the one it includes. Computers have spell checkers, the internet has dictionaries. And even if it still isn't great, we know you've tried.

When punctuation and capitalization are so painfully glaring that the reader needs a moment to digest what you're saying, it results in making people stop reading the post. Examples include not capitalizing the first letter of a sentence; capitalizing random words in the middle of sentences; over-use of commas; incorrect use of semicolons; not using periods to end sentences.

Please also make an effort to paragraph your posts, especially when posting long pieces of text that people are expected to read in a single setting. Remember, indents don't work on phpBB boards - use two returns instead. Such things can go a long way to help you to be understood by the rest of us.

In my original post, I wasn't attempting to be nasty about being unable to understand Fleebo - I just genuinely could not understand his sentences. The later clamor raised by some other posters did not relate directly to the quality of his prose, but his assertion that he wrote his questions and comments while driving. If this is literally true (i.e. he wrote out his questions while being the driver in a moving car) then it would be illegal in most locations around the world. I have argued, however, that he was probably a passenger using his phone and typing poorly on it.

I am also very impressed and feel admiration towards those posters on this forum who contribute despite not having English as their first language. I certainly could not imagine trying to contribute to a forum in another language. But if the writing does become incomprehensible (as in this case), then it is fair to raise it up, if only so that they can receive the help or input they want, rather than just being ignored.

Don't be a munchkin?

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Moderators Note:

Thanks to Red for highlighting the Protocols.

However, in the case of new or infrequent posters, please take due care. There are many disabilities, including dyselxia, which can affect people's typing skills.

Please flag any posts that you consider don't meet the Protocols with a Moderator before taking any action which may cause discrimination.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame