How has End Times changed WFB?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Silic
Noble

How has End Times changed WFB?

Post by Silic »

Hello everyone! Its been a long time since I've played WFB and the End Times supplement appears to have done its job as it has me looking into the hobby once again. I'm really excited that the world is changing and I'm hoping that this means the Warhammer world will continue to grow. I've already sort of jumped back in by picking up some woof elf models, and I have a few concerns as I wrap my head around the new world. I'll preface these by saying I suspect the true answer is "We don't know yet," but I'm hoping there is something solid to catch on to.

The biggest concern I have is the idea that I've seen echoed a few times on various forums and talks with old players is that the next edition will somehow make the older models obsolete. If End Times is cannon now, will there be any place in future army books for things such as Dryads in a wood elf army (Athel Loren largely destroyed) or Beastmen as a whole (absorbed into Chaos army list?) or even Hydras (if Naggaroth is abandoned)? For things such as Tomb Kings and VC becoming generic Undead, is it expected that the two are not receiving separate army books under next edition? I did not pick up End Times material as of yet, so please let me know if I'm completely off base.

Past the named characters, is End Times balanced to work with current edition army books? I have found two escalation leagues in my area that are running in the near future (nicely timed as I re-enter the hobby) and will the games be largely one-sided if I do not run an End Times list?

Appreciate the feedback and really excited to get back in to the mix!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: How has End Times changed WFB?

Post by T.D. »

Well, it has certainly livened things up.

The End Times lists are generally regarded as super-powerful and not particularly balanced, but a nice diversion from regular 8th.

As for what lies ahead? A mixture of trepidation and excitement :)

We won't know till it hits, and while there may be changes to list compositions, it is unlikely to immediately invalidated current choices.

I hope they will be successful in attracting new players Image

[+] SPOILER
though I will be extremely pissed if DE are folded !mad!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Silic
Noble

Re: How has End Times changed WFB?

Post by Silic »

Makes sense. And I hope disenfranchising 50% of a player's army would cross the mind of developers, though on the flipside, GW may actively want players to have to spend the money to get their army back to 2500 points. Alas, I agree that the course of action is the Wait and See approach. Heres hoping it turns our greater than before!