witch elves/vestals of nemesis

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Eldarwonderland
Warrior

witch elves/vestals of nemesis

Post by Eldarwonderland »

Having finally received my vestals from avatars of war in December I have got round to assembling them.
What a nightmare! Arms don't fit well, legs are a shocker, haven't even tried their heads yet, although it looks like I will have to cut their necks down a bit to avoid giraffe looking girls.
I thought 30 at £28, gw cost £105.

Having already bought 20 sisters of slaughter I didnt want that expense. However having spent 4 evenings and most of a Sunday getting nowhere fast I wish I had asked for a refund and spent the £105 instead. It would have avoided all this wasted time.

Take note anyone contemplating the cheaper initial cost, beware the expense of hours of misery.
Avatars of War: ordered vestals in March for April delivery, finally arrived Dec 15 2014
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: witch elves/vestals of nemesis

Post by Daeron »

Thanks for the review.

I have never tried them myself, but it isn't the first time these models are reviewed on the forum... and with very mixed opinions. The assembly of them seems to be a recurrent issue.

I did put down the money for the G.W. Witches... and I'm really impressed with them. I do find them a pain to transport though :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

I pre-ordered the vestals but cancelled after they where delayed the third time. Now I'm glad I did! I bought GW witches instead and I have not regretted it, in spite of their high cost. The minis are bliss to assemble, look amazing. And honestly, they hardly ever disappoint on the table either! MSU units of 10 wreck flak, whereas big blocks really pressure the opponent.

Daeron; I bought some "KR Multicase" boxes. My witches fit neatly into their DE infantry moulded foam :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

Yeah, the amount of flash on the models alone was a lot of work. I found that once I had all the parts cleaned and separated, the assembly actually went pretty quick. But a lot of initial time spent cleaning them!
bond_00kevin
Slave on the Altar

Post by bond_00kevin »

I'm cleaning mine up right now and beginning the assembly process. I would love to see any finished product pictures once you get done! There are so many different pose possibilities and some of these models seem to have no type of clothing at all, so I'm just curious to see how others are painting them! Hehehehehehe
Mioum
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mioum »

I've find them relatively easy to assemble so far. I hate cleaning them up though (that material is awful for that). But actually assembling them have been pretty straightforward, I have yet to find parts that don't fit properly. I've built a rank of them for now (7) and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

The GW model are much better (and in real plastic), but the price difference was totally worth for me as I'm building a Khainite force and my list had 2 unit of 28 Witch, so that's a bit of saved money there :P My GW Witch will be SoS instead :)

Plus they rank easily too (for now). Something I can't say about the GW models!
redruben
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by redruben »

Hi!
I took the legs and body from the vestals and then used the spare parts from the Sister of Slaughter witch was the Witchelves heads and all of their weapons. The result was better then expected and with some careful painting i think its gonna be great.
I agree that the quality of the vestals is terrible and especially the heads. My god they are bad! I found that out of 30 heads (i havn´t actually counted all of them yet though) i can maybe use 5-7 heads. The rest is just too bad. But with some cutting of their necks the witchelves heads fitted quite good. With the weapons its a lot of work but it worked out pretty fine.
I can take some pictures of them if anyone´s intrerested.

So with the vestals pack of 30 to a resonable price and two packs of witches/sisters you are gonna have some parts to play with and with some patience you can make some nice models.
Check out my Instagram account: WHPAINTING - http://instagram.com/whpainting
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

redruben wrote:I can take some pictures of them if anyone´s intrerested.

Indeed. Show us plz :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
redruben
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by redruben »

Here´s a couple of them. Not a great pic but something at least. More pics is going to come on my Instagram page mentioned below the pic.

The one with the banner has the best "original vestal head" that i found.
The one with the banner has the best "original vestal head" that i found.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

They look pretty cool :)

I like the dynamism of the vestals, but the sculpt quality looks off. Combining the two kits looks a good option.

Can you show us your SoS too?

Cheers!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
redruben
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by redruben »

I put together the Sisters of Slaughter as the original from GW so there isn´t much exiting there but then i had some parts left and did 2 more out of them. So i got 12 SoS in all. I was forced to build one of the Shields myself but the other is original spare parts.

sisters2.jpg
sisters2.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 4121 times