Best Offensive magic arcane item

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

toots
Beastmaster

Best Offensive magic arcane item

Post by toots »

Hi,

In terms of magical offense and increasing chances of spells being cast, what's the best item? forbidden rod sounds like a good idea with +D6 power dice - the CoT would protect nicely against the D3 wounds incurred there. power scroll? power stone? i'm thinking about having a caster riding around on a horse so the sac dagger is a no-go i think, but then again i could include her in a unit of dark riders i suppose.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Re: Best Offensive magic arcane item

Post by Ajattaro »

1. Sac dagger (you need unoptimal units for fuel though) 2. Power scroll 3. Power stone

Power scroll without errata was ridiculous since it was almost quaranteed IF
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

why not the ROD though? thought it was a good 'un!
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

toots wrote:why not the ROD though? thought it was a good 'un!

I think that we have too expensive mages to risk for that item. Also random in two ways, like TZ spell Blue fire, so other die is likely to fail. Ive seen goblins and undead use the rod to compensate poor winds of magic
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Cloak of Twilight offers no protection from the Forbidden Rod. It's a great item if you have a cheap goblin wizard to sacrifice but I wouldn't risk a 300 point model on it.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

The Sacrificial Dagger is the best offensive arcane item we have. The Power Scroll (as errata'd) is excellent in a Storm of Magic game or if you're using Magic of the End Times.

The Forbidden Rod is worth taking on a High Magic-using Spellweaver for a Host of the Phoenix/Eternity King. The lore attribute can make the D3 W issue almost irrelevant. Sadly, the Cloak is no help, but a 4+ ward is likely to save your Sorceress.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."