Help needed - Sorceress equipment

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Help needed - Sorceress equipment

Post by Gutripper »

So with 30 pts to spend what's the better item for a supreme sorceress (lvl 4 life, dispel scroll, dark steed)

Talisman of Endurace or Obsidian Amulet , and why?

Or are 3 extra executioners better (unit of 21 instead of 18...)?
toots
Beastmaster

Re: Help needed - Sorceress equipment

Post by toots »

Stick her in the warlocks, 2++ versus magic!

Obsidian amulet, that is...
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

Actually you've only got 25pts rather than 30, as the dispel scroll is 25 itself.
Edit: Sorry, ignore that. Thought you meant a regular sorceress, not a supreme.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

nothing.
5++ ward save does not save much and you can heal her back with life anyways.
ring of hotek might worth its points, depending on the play style
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

Can she benefit from the warlocks 4+ ward save by being in the same unit? I guess the unit gets the MR (2) and benefits from it for miscasts (which is not a bad idea)

Life should give her wounds back if she suffers any without dying so not too worried there, and I agree 5+ ward is not amazing

To get Ring of Hotek means I need to free up a bit more somewhere else (sell an executioner or something). She'd need to be closer to the enemy wizards for it to be worthwhile, and I'm thinking with Llife magic she'll mainly be boosting all my merry folk on the battlefield. How do you play a Supreme Sorceress if you give her RoH?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

1) She does not benefit from the warlocks 4+ ward save no. Only warlock models gets this. She does, however, sit in a unit which is virtually immune to magic missiles. Its also M9 fast cav, so it wont see close combat unless you want it to, and you can stay in hard cover vs enemy shooting. The point? Super safe lvl 4 unit, highly mobile to boot.

2) Keep in mind ring of hotek has changed since last edition. Old version: bearer had to be within range of the casting wizard. New version: if an enemy spell is cast on or targeted anywhere within 6" of the bearer, the aura has effect. Its an amazing item. Keep the lvl 4 within 6" range of your powerunits, and your opponent must eat a doubled miscast risk.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

Thraundil wrote:1) She does not benefit from the warlocks 4+ ward save no. Only warlock models gets this. She does, however, sit in a unit which is virtually immune to magic missiles. Its also M9 fast cav, so it wont see close combat unless you want it to, and you can stay in hard cover vs enemy shooting. The point? Super safe lvl 4 unit, highly mobile to boot.

2) Keep in mind ring of hotek has changed since last edition. Old version: bearer had to be within range of the casting wizard. New version: if an enemy spell is cast on or targeted anywhere within 6" of the bearer, the aura has effect. Its an amazing item. Keep the lvl 4 within 6" range of your powerunits, and your opponent must eat a doubled miscast risk.

Ring of Hotek is a good idea for protecting the executioners & dragon a bit from magic, although I'm 20pts shy if I wanted to get it in instead of the Obsidian Amulet. To do this I have the following possibilities:

1. Remove 2 executioners reducing the unit size to 16 from 18 (or a musician as one)
2. Get rid of the dispel scroll
3. remove her dark steed

worth it or not?
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Gutripper wrote:To get Ring of Hotek means I need to free up a bit more somewhere else (sell an executioner or something). She'd need to be closer to the enemy wizards for it to be worthwhile, and I'm thinking with Llife magic she'll mainly be boosting all my merry folk on the battlefield. How do you play a Supreme Sorceress if you give her RoH?

I play her with dark magic, ROH, OTC and dispel scroll inside executioners. I generally have witch elves, exes and a warlock bus, and 2 of 3 units are within 6 inches of RoH area.
I am not a fan of putting SS inside warlocks, as in my experience folks shoot warlocks with str 3-4 and 4+ ward save is more than enough for thier survivability. In case of 2+ ward save they will shoot something else and basically everything is more fragile than warlocks. Thus provoking people to waste magic/shooting to warlocks sounds like a good idea for me ;)

I hope it helps,
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

anglais wrote:
Gutripper wrote:To get Ring of Hotek means I need to free up a bit more somewhere else (sell an executioner or something). She'd need to be closer to the enemy wizards for it to be worthwhile, and I'm thinking with Llife magic she'll mainly be boosting all my merry folk on the battlefield. How do you play a Supreme Sorceress if you give her RoH?

I play her with dark magic, ROH, OTC and dispel scroll inside executioners. I generally have witch elves, exes and a warlock bus, and 2 of 3 units are within 6 inches of RoH area.
I am not a fan of putting SS inside warlocks, as in my experience folks shoot warlocks with str 3-4 and 4+ ward save is more than enough for thier survivability. In case of 2+ ward save they will shoot something else and basically everything is more fragile than warlocks. Thus provoking people to waste magic/shooting to warlocks sounds like a good idea for me ;)

I hope it helps,

What is OTC?
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Gutripper wrote:What is OTC?

the other trikster's shard.
as I want my dreadlord to have 1+ rerollable and giant's blade while being on foot, he is not able to carry the OTC. thus sorc does it for him.
anyways, dispel scroll is a must, RoH is not bad for protection. sometimes the ring is really handy as two ones happen.
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

anglais wrote:
Gutripper wrote:What is OTC?

the other trikster's shard.
as I want my dreadlord to have 1+ rerollable and giant's blade while being on foot, he is not able to carry the OTC. thus sorc does it for him.
anyways, dispel scroll is a must, RoH is not bad for protection. sometimes the ring is really handy as two ones happen.

My dreadlord has that together with Ogre Blade, and ToP

I like the idea of having my sorceress close to my CC units as a form of protection vs spells. I agree putting her in with warlocks is probably overkill although she'd be quite protected if she was whhcih for 300 pts and all the spells she's got would be v useful. When they enter combat though you really need to make sure she gets out of the exec unit fast...
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Gutripper wrote:I like the idea of having my sorceress close to my CC units as a form of protection vs spells. I agree putting her in with warlocks is probably overkill although she'd be quite protected if she was whhcih for 300 pts and all the spells she's got would be v useful. When they enter combat though you really need to make sure she gets out of the exec unit fast...
i prefer not to fight for more than 2 phases, so it is fine. even without ward save she survives well if placed correctly.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

If going with a life mage then you can always get earthblood which will stack with MR. So I say add the MR and keep earthblood up when you expect to be targeted.

I run a similar SS and keep her in a DR unit or CoK unit (in the back with two combat characters int he front with full command). Late game, if I am getting magicked with alot of direct damage or magic missiles, then I will put her in with a 5+man warlock unit. Warlocks don't have full command so the SS must be in the front which reduces the roles that those warlocks can take on.
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Magic Resistence doesnt protect from Miscasts since its not a spell, but a special rule. Magic Resistance doesnt protect from MAGIC, just from SPELLS.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

While true Cihan, MR does stack with earthblood's regen. And if using life, you should be getting throne of vines up ASAP so that you can avoid miscast damage.

5++ regen (4++ with throne of vines), plus MR 2 gives the unit 3++(2++) against magic spells. Throne of vines will also protect against miscasts. And if your opponent wastes powerdice dispelling it (it is an RiP) then that counts as magical defense in my books. Take away three dice in his magic phase and you are looking pretty good.

For me, the best bunker for a SS is 7 CoK with a life mage, a nasty dreadlord and a defensive master.
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

marcopollo wrote:While true Cihan, MR does stack with earthblood's regen. And if using life, you should be getting throne of vines up ASAP so that you can avoid miscast damage.

5++ regen (4++ with throne of vines), plus MR 2 gives the unit 3++(2++) against magic spells.

I've been told by my opponents MR doesn't stack with regen. Where can I find it in the rulebook that it does?

I think Life is one of the best set of spells for Dark Elves, and helps with one of our biggest problems; survivability from shooting damage and our low T.

So I'm totally sold on getting MR for my SS, only question left lingering is should I just settle for Obsidian Amulet or should I sell two execs or her dark steed to get Ring of Hotek?
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

Perhaps this is the best option...

Take her off the Dark Steed for 20pts freed, get her RoH and put her in the unit of Execs for the game. With Earthblood she should be able to give herself and the unit Regen often and she'll also give them some protection from spells via the RoH effect (although the MR (2) is diluted a bit since it won't stack with Regen).
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I stand corrected. Sorry for my misunderstanding. I owe one of my opponents an apology.