Cauldron Conversion

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

TheGrayMist
Trainee Warrior

Cauldron Conversion

Post by TheGrayMist »

Thought you might like to see my cauldron. My friend and I converted it, well he did most of the conversion and I sourced the pieces. It has been converted from the old model because I just didn't like the latest model or the idea of hauling a staircase into combat.

I've always wanted one being carried by slaves and I love the dynamic poses of the witch elves so incorporated them. They just needed something a bit more epic.

Conversion includes:
- one slave girl each side of the platform, seated on purple cloth, one is held in chains by the standard bearer
- death hag in front leaping from body of decapitated slave
- standard bearer at back as I often use the cauldron as the BSB. I also love banners.
- witch elf bathing in the cauldron
- slaves carrying the cauldron
- 2 witch elves leaping from the platform with suitably-sized whips from daemonettes

The model is 13cm high and fits nicely in a storage box under the bed. Everything is pinned to make it solid, in fact the first thing that happened once it was finished was that my friend put their ipad on it bending one of the huge whips to the table. Everything was fine.

Not all the pics are 100% clear but you should be able to see everything. I hope this inspires you to do your own conversions!

http://s374.photobucket.com/user/the_gr ... d.jpg.html
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of the Old World...
marcopollo
Assassin

Re: Cauldron Conversion

Post by marcopollo »

That is well done. How many man-hours did it take you to complete?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It's a busy but well constructed model. I like the scheme however I do have a problem with the theme. It seems illogical to me that heathens would be allowed the honor of carrying a holy relic. That'd be like "hey you Nazi guys, we're going to make you carry the Holy Grail". But aside from that flaw in logic, it's a nice mini.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Disagree - Dark elves use slave labor for everything they don't personally want to do themselves.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If give the chance to touch/carry/be near a holy artifact came your way, you'd say no? I'd think bearing that burden would be the greatest of honors and a hundred men would volunteer. Not to mention if I were in charge, the last thing I'd risk is offending my God (a very real and notoriously unforgiving person by his nature) by letting some ignorant slave put his grubby hands on my sacred idol. Maybe I have it backwards but that's not how I'd picture a temple being run.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
TheGrayMist
Trainee Warrior

Post by TheGrayMist »

It took about 3 months to do all up, so a fair while, evenings mostly. Not all evenings, but many, many evenings.

It is a bit of a diorama on what could be happening with a cauldron.

As for the slaves, the dark elves have slaves in their homes, slaves for manual labour, slaves that go into the cauldron, no doubt slaves serving the in the temple. In my mind slaves permeate dark elf culture so it seems natural that slaves would be used as the beasts of burden, the expendable assets that keep khaine moving.
Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of the Old World...
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

You style of work is similar to mine. I too work in the evenings and sometimes, when motivated, can bang off units very quickly. At other times, I suffer from "painters block".

The model is great. The fluff behind it is great. It is nice to see someone use those old OOP models to good effect.

Good job -- period.