CoK's usage.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Venomblades
Shade

CoK's usage.

Post by Venomblades »

High fellow Druchii!

I know theres plenty of threads in regards to CoK's, but i am somewhat flustered when it comes to writing lists as i am never able to put in 'the best' units. Currently, BG are my favoured unit, but they cost so damn much!

I'm not a fan of avoidance at all, although i do marvel at it's beauty when they crush armies into the dirt, but i never tend to play that style.

So, moving on. As for me, i always seem to favour big infantry blocks. Currently i use the usual witches and Executioners. But without my CoB, which i havent painted yet, they all die to a stiff breeze. So i'm switching things around and playing with some ideas.

I seem to be a very defensive player, so i have chosen Corsairs from core, and yes, i am well aware they are no way near as deadly as witches. (Dont worry guys, this post is going somewhere haha)

So my list consists of 3 main units.

31 Corsairs FC
30 Executioners FC
12 CoK's FC

To back this up i have 3 Bolt throwers, a Master BSB in with the Corsairs to back them up with the dawnstone re-rollable as i am expecting to lose resolution often. I have Peg master CoT and lance, a lvl4 RoH sorceress with 5 locks and 2 units of 5 dark riders.

MAIN IDEA OF THIS POST HAS ARRIVED..........with this list is it a viable build? I think i have all forms of defence and damage output here. My MAIN idea is Pin a unit with my corsairs and let the CoK's roll up the flank, all the way down the line and hopefully into my Executioners target (If in CC).

What does everyone think? I do like corsairs due to their 4+ defence.

Finaly, is my Master BSB better suited in the CoK unit? that would make 13 CoK's including him. Corsairs have discipline banner, which would compensate for the master being in the CoK unit.

Any advice would be great. Thanks Druchii.

FOR MALEKITH!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: CoK's usage.

Post by Phierlihy »

I have good news - that's a completely viable build! Just like with any army list though, you have to figure out just what your units can and cannot do. And just as importantly, how to make them work together. I know that's very generic advice but it's applicable. Your Pegasus-Master needs to charge to do damage so you'll either want him with the Cold One Knights or off on his own. However 12 Cold One Knights is scary to face so they shouldn't need the Master's help very often.

Corsairs can take damage better than your other troops but the difference between a 5+ save and a 4+ is pretty small so they can't pin anything substantial. They will die in droves to anything non-core. So few people seem to take anything with ranks anymore though, they'll have their places to shine, just pick their combats carefully!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Thanks mate!

Well, I was considering dropping the master from the corsair block and throwing him in the cok 's, but I think the corsairs will need all the help.

If I was using 12, wouldn't be best to keep5 wide or have a 6 wide frontage?

Lores I was thinking that would work well her would be shadow, life, metal?
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Shadow would be best with these units totally. I think your CoK do fine without BSB. Just include gleaming pennant to keep the cost down and too have more flexible deployment.
Scary units you got there!
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I am starting to experiment with 12 CoK and the bloodwrack shrine as fast moving anvil/deathstar (baner of swiftness). I will be running it next week with a sorceress -- (life --crown of command, scepter of stability) and dreadlord (giant blade, OTS, danwstone). I am giving up some speed, for a nasty grinding machine).

I will let you know how it turns out.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

I like that you include 3 bolters as I think a good shooting phase is crucial when playing infantry. It also works great with shadow magic (hello enfeebled foe! :D ) . I usually use corsairs instead of witches as I play in a comped environment. Be sure to let us know how you do with your list!
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

Thanks a lot guys.

I know Corsairs aren't the greatest, but they come into their own in mass i believe.

Mikael.K, i know what you mean. My current 2400 list has 3 bolties, 10 shades complimented by my dark riders shooting. Let's just say my shooting phase is nothing to laugh at ;)

I will let everyone know how the list goes as soon as i complete the model construction.

:D