Reaper Bolt Thrower placements

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

Reaper Bolt Thrower placements

Post by Executioner_of_khaine »

I am starting to lean a bit more on the shooting of the Reapers and find it difficult, without a hill in the deployment zone, to stay out of my own way. Deploying on the far side of the board seem the easy way to fix this, but then they fall quickly to fast cav and the likes. If you are shooting the fast cav the are not working on the more prime targets I feel need shooting (Warriors, Monsters and the likes)

So my question is, How do you deploy and how do you protect your bolt throwers?

Thanks
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: Reaper Bolt Thrower placements

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

I generally let my RBTs on their own. they only cost 70 points and most Fast Cav alrdy costs more then that.
And if there rly is a prime target I send everything at it anyway.

As for placement. Rule #1 is to keep em atleast 6" away from eachother :P
After that it generaly depends on the terain. I like to cover small choke points and table edges with them.
Its challanging to place them in bigger games without blocking your own view but it helps to keep them as one of the last drops.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Dragonarmy
Warrior

Post by Dragonarmy »

I think it varies from game to game

Sometimes all spread out.

Usually two sets of two

Sometimes overload one side.

Make best effort to keep them apart to avoid panics and easy overruns.

I often have them up closer to the 12 inch line to keep good sight lines.

I usually also only bring 3.

DragonArmy
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Unless there is an obviously good choice of where they should go, I often struggle with this as well. But when you understand what you want to use them for, instead of just randomly placing them you can actually put them in more useful places. And that quite often depends on the enemy you are facing. I like to use mine for board control - getting rid of enemy chaff units/knocking wounds off of solo characters followed by counter-battery fire followed by knocking wounds off monsters followed by stripping ranks off units. For me I find that order to be their most effective for how I use them and knowing that, I can place them accordingly.

I never place them side-by-side because they die to a stiff breeze. And I don't want my opponent to just run right through them all. So unless a particular spot is stupidly good, 8" apart (the average over-run is 7") and on the flanks. I also often use them simply to deny deployment options for enemy scouts.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

I have used them as bait a few times to good effect when I out ranged my opponent. By placing them all together in the middle of my deployment zone they are a big target and threat to the enemy. Then I put on either side hard hitting blocks like cold one knights or executioners. If the enemy runs toward your center then you flank him if not then you have more turns to shoot. This of course wont work against all armies or opponents but it may be something to think about.