Cloak of Twilight - mundane halberd or great weapon?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Cloak of Twilight - mundane halberd or great weapon?

Post by Gutripper »

So this is most tricky for a Master equipped with Cloak of Twilight - is it better to equip him with a halberd or a great weapon?

With the great weapon he will lose his chance to reroll attacks and thus have less chance of getting a 6 with killing blow, he will however more likely wound (also against monstrous infantry/cavalry) and inflict the D3 wounds

With the halberd he gets the reroll on his to hit rolls but 'only' has S5 on his to wound rolls. Against High elves without great weapons he will also not strike last due to their ASF

I'm finding this hard one to call....
Harbanatim
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Cloak of Twilight - mundane halberd or great weapon?

Post by Harbanatim »

What do you mean by "he will lose his chance to reroll attacks"?
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

Asf cancels w great weapon, so he just fights in order of initiative, ie he wont get to retoll failed to hit rolls as you do with asf and high initiative
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If your Master is not mounted, I wouldn't equip him with the Cloak of Twilight at all. However if he is mounted, I'd equip him with a lance and forgo either the great weapon or the halberd options.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Harbanatim
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Harbanatim »

Gutripper wrote:Asf cancels w great weapon, so he just fights in order of initiative, ie he wont get to retoll failed to hit rolls as you do with asf and high initiative

Sweet deal. Still reading through the rulebook, been a while since I had last committed a rulebook to memory.

In that case, I'd probably go with the halberd if a S boost is really needed.
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

He's mounted but will most likely not always chsrge as he will chaperobe some execs and therefore not have look out sir, hence CoT to protect him
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

For my pegmasters I usually run 1 with CoT and lance, if I'm not using a dreadpeg then my other peg lord will use halberd+ AoD for extra survival as he's usually the BSB. This way I'm not too scared to send my CoT pegmasters on more dangerous errands.

Lances are good also, but it's all about the charge. I rely on consistency so a S5 whether I'm charged or not I will always have. If u are charged hand have a lance then it's obsolete, S4 for you sunshine. My set up is usually a pegmaster and peglord
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Lance>>halberd>great weapon for the CoT. Lance because you really should be charging with the CoT pegmaster and if you aren't then you got bigger problems. Halberd for rerolls helps with access to killing blow.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

This is my personal opinion but if you aren't charging with him, you're using him wrong. And if his job is babysit a unit of Executioners, equip him differently and get him off the horse so he can benefit from a Look Out, Sir! roll.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Phierlihy wrote:This is my personal opinion but if you aren't charging with him, you're using him wrong. And if his job is babysit a unit of Executioners, equip him differently and get him off the horse so he can benefit from a Look Out, Sir! roll.

Yes exactly. Its useless to get 3++ against shooting if you can get a look out sir and a 4++ for less points.

I usually dislike giving CoT to BSB anyway. CoTmaster is way better when he is expendable.
Dragonarmy
Warrior

Post by Dragonarmy »

For the choice between the halbred or GW is just a math question on chance to wound. Generally, GW w/o rerolls is better:

Chance to wound against:

A powered up opposing character with WS>=6, T4, 1+ (wards saves will effect each results the same)

GW: .5 * (5/6 +1/6*5/6) * .5 = 24%
HB: (.5+.5*.5) * (4/6 + 1/6*4/6) * 2/6 = 19.5%

A medium priced monster with WS4, T5, 4+
GW: 4/6 * (4/6 +1/6*4/6) * 1 = 52%
HB: (4/6+2/6*4/6) * (3/6 + 1/6*3/6) * 5/6 = 43%

An monstrous infantry ogre with WS4, T4, 4+
GW: 4/6 * (5/6 +1/6*5/6) * 1 = 64%
HB: (4/6+2/6*4/6) * (4/6 + 1/6*4/6) * 5/6 = 57%

Basically, GW losing the chance to reroll is less signifcant than taking an extra of both the Toughness and the Armor. The exceptions arise when two of the following are true: 5+ armor or worse, has T3 or worse, or WS 6 or better.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

It's important to remember that the CoT offensive benefits are good only in the first round of combat. So, that means either you are charging (lance is best) or being charged (lance is poor). On a pegmaster, you should be charging early on, and maybe you are being charged later, but can flee if you need.