How to deal with Stegadons

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

How to deal with Stegadons

Post by Lord Drakon »

My experience with Stagedons is a hard one, as I couldn't hurt them with shooting (RBT must concentrate on his flying stuff) and in in combat they are also difficult to deal with ? So therefore the question, how to deal with Stegadons, both shooting and combat.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: How to deal with Stegadons

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Medusae, not kidding.
Whilest testing one out I was able to kill a Stegadon in 2 rounds of shooting (one move and fire the other Stand&Shoot)

Granted its not much but it worked ;) other option would be Metal or I Tests. Shadow would have a field day against a Lizard Army
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Shouldn't a Master wearing the Cloak of Twilight statistically kill it on the charge?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:Medusae, not kidding.
Whilest testing one out I was able to kill a Stegadon in 2 rounds of shooting (one move and fire the other Stand&Shoot)

Granted its not much but it worked ;) other option would be Metal or I Tests. Shadow would have a field day against a Lizard Army

I tried that last time, but isn't the I of the skink is used instead of the Stegadon ?

@ Phierlihy, I will try that tomorrow then !
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Mmh... looking at the Howdaw Crew rule it says that except for close combat the entire Model is threated as a Monster. Tho this might have been overlooked by my opponent and me then.

Tho with T6 W5 you'll have to be lucky to insta kill one on the charge with just 3 S6 D3 Wounds attacks

Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:Mmh... looking at the Howdaw Crew rule it says that except for close combat the entire Model is threated as a Monster. Tho this might have been overlooked by my opponent and me then.

Tho with T6 W5 you'll have to be lucky to insta kill one on the charge with just 3 S6 D3 Wounds attacks

The model is treated as a monster. This means it is not treated as a ridden monster but as a whole model. Which means for whatever stat test you are forced to make, you use the highest - the skink initiative.

Had it been e.g. a skink chieftain on a stegadon with theoretically no other crew, it is now a ridden monster, and both the chief and the stegadon must test on their own initiative. But the combined monster with crew tests on skink I, just like a bloodwrack shrine would test on the crew I.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

As above, a Cloak of Twilight Master/Lord should out a serious dent in it (and may possibly kill it, but not a guarantee).

A Kharibdyss would also do fairly well against it, if you can ensure it survives whilst crossing the board.

As it's only Ld6, Spirit Leech is a really good way of dealing with it. Fortunately, the rest of Lore of Death will work quite well against Lizardmen too.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Vs Lizards I think a Kharibdyss makes a reasonable chance to reach it. but yeah, 5 S7 Poison attacks with the chance to trigger Feast of Bones. That Stegadon aint gonna be happy

@Traundil: good point, will remember it for the next match :D

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

While we're discussing magical solutions... since Stegadons have a 3+ Scaly Skin save (IIRC), you could also try Searing Doom.

As has been pointed out, a Kharibdyss will put a serious dent into a Stegadon as well, particularly if boosted with Enchanted Blades (Fangs?), Timewarp or Speed of Light.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Do Not let t charge you. Its main thing is the charge. Everything else is just extra, but if it charges you are in a world of hurt.

Lore of Metal might also help as regular has a dent armor save vi uing it against them, and Anccient has a point short of the standard Knight's armor save. Like Death, it also works well agaisnt lizardmen. Witch Elves with their Poison Attacks In combination of a either Curse of Rust, Trnsmutation, or Blades of Albin would do well.

Shadows could also help, usually weakening its strength, toughness, or movement. If you are lucky to get the Pendulem or the Template spell, do not be afraid to use it.

Death has been mentioned, and the Kharibdyss as well, which is good as death Signiture spell will work wonders, but the K-beast is what I call a Brawler, or a monster meant for fighting heavy duty units.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
uklvrbm
Trainee Warrior

Post by uklvrbm »

Saintofm wrote:Do Not let t charge you. Its main thing is the charge. Everything else is just extra, but if it charges you are in a world of hurt.

This. This and this. Stegadons aren't a problem unless they get the charge. Throw a master with a pegasus at it and it will hold. The ancient only has 3 A and the regular 4, so it's not dealing out that much hurt. With the cloak, and regular armor, you likely taking 1 W or less per round of combat. Obviously, if you can charge it in the side and then with someone in the front next turn, that would be best though.

If running a pegasus master(s) and a hydra/kharibdyss, lore of beasts might be an awesome lore here. Amber spear first round, charge with the master second, and hopefully get off wildform or savage beast on the master. Goodbye stegadon. Hell, if you get off savage beast and have the cloak, you don't even need the initial amber spear. You'd run over that stegadon like a ton of bricks.
Gutripper
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gutripper »

Obviously overkill if it's just to kill a Stegadon but in a versatile list a general on a dragon should make good work of it if he's equipped reasonably well
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Akholrak wrote:As it's only Ld6, Spirit Leech is a really good way of dealing with it. Fortunately, the rest of Lore of Death will work quite well against Lizardmen too.

This is an interesting comment on Lizzies as a whole. Their ld abilities are good because of cold blooded, but their actual statline is generally poor (ld 7, ld 8 and ld 6 for priests). So spirit leaching is solid approach at picking wounds off it.

If I wanted to tailor a list, I would have a lv2 and lv4 of death to ensure that I get two opportunities to spirit leach. And if my opponent brings tetto ecko, then I bring morathi.
Shorabora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shorabora »

My last game against lizzies he charged his stegadon into morathi an SHE survived impact hits went first hit him with magic weapons that Lower his S T An A stats an ripped it apart in one round with sulephet attacks too
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

I'd never charge with a master if it is unhurt. Soulblight with warlocks, shoot him with RBT and then charge (should cast another soulblight just in case) I'd charge with a peg Dreadlord, ws7 vs 3 (3+ hits vs 5+) more attacks, more survability. Stegadon is Stubb by the way, so flank charge doen't make any difference (if you win ofc). I think a L1 metal Sorceress should be in a competitive list if you don't have anything to deal with hight T or Armor.