Beastmaster

Cold One Star - life magic sorceress

Post by toots »

OK I'm just chucking this out there:

7 COKs inc full command and flaming banner
BSB hero with ring of hotek, 1+ save and lance
Lord with: dawnstone, 1+ save, giantblade and OTS
sorceress level 4 with: ToP, dispel scroll and ironcurse icon using LIFE MAGIC

could be a very potent unit, no? needs lots of screening from BS shooting (harpies, dark riders etc).

sorceress goes in the back rank in the middle, casting regeneration or flesh to stone or dwellers below (she's in short range due to the cold ones advancing towards the enemy). healing the hero and lord as she casts spells. i think it could be quite cool.

if the champion dies and she needs to return to the back of the unit, she can always cast regrowth to bring him back. costly in terms of dice, but it's possible.

any thoughts? tried this one before? could make for a tough unit! main idea would be to 6-dice dwellers below the turn preceding the charge, then try to smash though on the first turn (aint that always the case?!). i've calculated this unit can do 11.9 unsaved wounds to a WS5, T4 opponent on the charge (i was thinking dwarven hammers).

in reality i'm taking 9 COKs so that if a couple get hit on the way in, i've still got a back rank to attack on the charge.

toots
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Cold One Star - life magic sorceress

Post by Vulcan »

You can just barely sneak the Black Talisman on the SS instead of the ToP. Same protection, but the return hits will make her much more fearsome in combat.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Vulcan - you're a genius!!
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

The coldstar is my favorite set-up at the moment. I take a lv 4 of life, a BSB ToP with charmed shield and an offensive lord (usually dawnsotne, giant blade, OTS -- sometimes sword of anti-heros, OTS, AoD). The Life SS has crown of command, scepter of stability and ring of hotek.

I have also tried putting the BW shrine in the unit with mild success.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

marcopollo wrote:The coldstar

Now that's a name for an approach :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Elves don't really do "deathstars" particularly well. That's the unit that will get hit with Dwellers Below or Final Transmutation or an Ogre charge and you've lost the game. Maybe it's the best thing ever but in my experience, putting all your elven eggs in one basket is a recipe for disaster.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

That is, of course, the interesting part. A good player can keep a deathstar from accomplishing much of anything over the course of a game. Of course, in the case of DE, our chaff generally also works well in the anti-chaff role. So the battle quickly becomes a chess match among the chaff units, with the person thinking farthest ahead winning.

At least until the unlucky Dwellers/Trans comes up. At least this one is better equipped than most DE units to withstand Dwellers; everything is S4. Even the sorceress can use S4 from the Cold One... making it one of the few reasons to take one.
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

just remember that Cavalery costs 2 wounds to resurrect pr model. But yeah it is a fun little group all of a sudden. I ran it with a lvl 4 beast in the CoK and a lvl 2 life in a spear bunker.
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I use the coldstar alot. But, I don't use it all game. When I want to build an abusive list, I set up an all DR core with warlocks and a coldstar. But, if the circumstances are right, I will move the characters out of the CoK and back again. Because the characters are on dark steeds, they can do very well in large-ish units of DR and warlocks.

I do the same with the BW shrine. Putting that in a CoK unit helps that become a decent anvil with all the bells-and-whistles that it brings to the table too.

7 CoK with full command and banner of swiftness comes in around 255 pts. So if it gets in trouble, my characters can easily bail out into safer bunkers and sacrifice the 255 pts.