1800 Point Game. Didn't Lose A Single Model. Against Chaos.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

1800 Point Game. Didn't Lose A Single Model. Against Chaos.

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

Not really sure where to put this because it's a Edit: bit of tactics and a battle report

So to be more precise, I didn't take a single wound. I didn'tt even attempt any spells above spell 3. I did get number 6 (I used death). I didn't get extremely lucky. The only spells I attempted were doombolt and soulblight.

My list is as follows

Level 4 sorceress (death) Dispel scroll, talisman of preservation
Death Hag, rune of khaine, ogre blade
5 dark riders, xbows, shields
20 corsairs, additional hand weapons, full command
10 witch elves, full command, razor standard
5 cold one knights, full command
20 executioners, full command
5 doomfire warlocks
5 doomfire warlocks

His Chaos list of warriors and a bit of deamons was something like
Level 4 deamon prince, dispel scroll, some upgrades
Level 2 sorceress, chaos armour, feedback scroll, mounted on steed, (lore of nurgle)

Bloodthirster with upgrades (the one where he regains wounds lost by dealing wounds)
10 bloodletters, full command
12 warriors, full command, great weapons, mark of nurgle
12 chosen, full command, additional hand weapons, mark of nurgle

From left to right my deployment is 5 doomfire warlocks, 5 doomfire warlocks, 5 dark riders, 10 WE with Death Hag, 5 CoK behind the WE, 20 Exe, 20 Corsairs with Sorceress
His deployment from MY left to right warriors, bloodthirster, sorceress on her own! in-between chosen BT and warriors, deamon prince a little behind chosen and then bloodletters on right.

Heres what I did do
So I get first turn, vanguard all the vanguarders up 12, march the DW (unit 1) to His warriors right flank, staring down the rest of his armys flank. Dark riders then march, reforming to fit inbetween his sorceress and chosen and just about make it an inch behind turning to face the rear.
From left to right Witch elves , Executioners, Corsairs, march up 10 all in line with one another
CoK march and wheel a little left to get ready for his BT and warriors
Magic I doombolt his BT do 3 wounds, I shoot his wizard with dark riders, kill it.

His turn 1, he flys the deamon prince behind my executioners facing my army to get off some spells. Flys the BT just past my WE left flank so he's almost diagonal 8 inches maybe to there rear/left flank
Warriors march up. Chosen march up. Bloodletters march up opposite my executioners and corsairs
Nothing happens in the magic phase.

My turn 2
Charge the WE into chosen. Wheel and march my Exes so some of the models are in front of the corsairs so he has to wheel and go around them and then charge. Cold one knights move up behind WE. DoomW (2) march to the flank of his warriors. DR move right up behind his chosen. DooW (1) move up behind his warriors.
Magic, I cast soulblight on chosen.
Combat, my death hag rolls D3 and gets 1 extra attack from rune of khaine so she now has 6 in total, re-rolling to hit, poisoned, murderous prowess, strength 6. She go's to town even with the -1 t hit nurgle mark. Think she kills 4 or 5.
WE then attack 6 in front, and 4 behind plus champion= 23 attacks. Again -1 to hit. With the razor standard -1 to his armour save. He gets wiped out, I overrun.

His turn 2.
He charges my WE rear with BT. Marches his Bloodletters around my Exes right up in front of corsairs now. Warriors on the left turn to face DW (2). Deamon Prince moves towards my corsairs rear.
He gets off that number 6 nurgle spell, one that wiped out a lot of 4 of my units last game. I dispel scroll naturally. He gets off a plus 3 toughness spell.
EDIT-On the bloodletters.
Combat. Death hag rolls and gets only 1 extra attack again, does 2 or 3 wounds I can't remember bringing it down to 1 wound or killing it. WE attack killing it outright anyway, we overrun a little.

My turn 3. turn and march the WE toward the warriors flank (out of charge arc). Turn Cok and move them towards Deamon Prince. Exes turn and face down the Bloodletters flank so when they charge corsairs next turn, they will be flanked after, move sorceress out of corsairs, away from Bloodletters charge arc. Move the DW(2) and DW(1) far away from the warriors.
Magic I throw everything at doombolt on his deamon prince from DW (2). Get 7 hits i think. Kill it.

With 12 warriors doing nothing on the left hand side of the board, nowhere near the DW(2) anymore. And the DW (1) now staring down there flank. WE coming into there rear/ right flank. On the centre of the board Cok are now facing nothing. Dark riders, DW (2) are in the middle facing everything. Sorcerous on far right is on her own way out of the bloodletters charge arc, nothing to hurt her-except 6 dicing purple sun LOL! Plus she has talisman of protection and no one near her so if she does misfire it won't be that bad.
Corsairs would hold the bloodletters, hopefully last 1 round at least so the Exes would flank and wipe the rest out.
Even of they did somehow manage to break 20 corsairs and run them down/overrun because he's frenzy. It would lead them out to be flanked/rear charged by my Cok. So he forfeited.

So he had at the end
12 warriors of chaos, mark of nurgle, great weapons, full command
10 Bloodletters, full command

I had
Everything.

Good Game!
i'll add more details to this soon.
Last edited by Tactical Dark ELf on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: 1800 Point Game. Didn't Lose A Single Model. Against Ch

Post by T.D. »

:shock:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Congratulations. You seem to have played this game pretty cleverly, particularly in taking advantage of your opponent's lack of shooting and minimal magical ranged attacks. Smart move using Soulblight on the Chosen, too. Always a pleasure to see the Chaos worshippers humbled!

That said, I think you did have some pretty decent luck, based on your report. Your opponent must have been annoyed about losing the Bloodthirster like that - with T6 and a 3+ ward against spell damage (5+ ward plus MR(2)), it's not easy to put 3 wounds on it with Doombolts in one turn, even from 2 units of Warlocks (it's about 1 in 9 to do a wound per hit). Killing an uninjured Daemon Prince with 7 hits from Doombolt is also a pretty fortunate outcome - that should have done about 2 wounds (not counting any armour saves). Same deal with the Sorcerer - with T4 and a 3+ armour save, 5 repeater crossbows should have mostly bounced off him. The Witch Elves vs Chosen fight was a much more even affair thanks to Soulblight, poison, ASF rerolls and the Razor Standard.

Nevertheless, masterfully done! Even good luck doesn't salvage a bad plan, and good planning combined with kind dice leads to outright slaughter - having him in a position where he knew he had no chance of salvaging even a draw in less than four turns is an impressive effort.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

Haagrum wrote:Congratulations. You seem to have played this game pretty cleverly, particularly in taking advantage of your opponent's lack of shooting and minimal magical ranged attacks. Smart move using Soulblight on the Chosen, too. Always a pleasure to see the Chaos worshippers humbled!

That said, I think you did have some pretty decent luck, based on your report. Your opponent must have been annoyed about losing the Bloodthirster like that - with T6 and a 3+ ward against spell damage (5+ ward plus MR(2)), it's not easy to put 3 wounds on it with Doombolts in one turn, even from 2 units of Warlocks (it's about 1 in 9 to do a wound per hit). Killing an uninjured Daemon Prince with 7 hits from Doombolt is also a pretty fortunate outcome - that should have done about 2 wounds (not counting any armour saves). Same deal with the Sorcerer - with T4 and a 3+ armour save, 5 repeater crossbows should have mostly bounced off him. The Witch Elves vs Chosen fight was a much more even affair thanks to Soulblight, poison, ASF rerolls and the Razor Standard.

Nevertheless, masterfully done! Even good luck doesn't salvage a bad plan, and good planning combined with kind dice leads to outright slaughter - having him in a position where he knew he had no chance of salvaging even a draw in less than four turns is an impressive effort.

The game was late last night, I actually think it was 2 doombolts (attempted) per magic phase in turn 1 And turn 2. Once I had it down to 3 I think he was looking for "easy" victory points in the small witch elf unit. In reality this was a bad idea, he should have gotten as close as possible to my CoK rear, which would have given me another round of doombolts! And shooting at it. Which I did and caused no wounds.

Once the BT was dead I was double doombolting the Deamon Prince. He did get unlucky in that he had to make 4 armour saves of 6 I believe, because of -2 and he failed all 4, either way he didn't get any 5s or 6s.

The Sorcerers 4+ armour save should have started at 3+ up yes I did miss that. Although when asked what it was he just said 4+ -so I didn't think about it. Nevertheless 8 shots of repeater crossbows with BS 4, 2 with BS5, (I forgot to include champion) at short range, armour piercing against a 4+ with 2 wounds is debatable. If he had somehow survived and joined a unit I would have charged with DW (2) and the dark riders. If he moved away thats within 16 movement, thats within the 24inch range of the Xbows so another round of shooting would be inflicted and he'd potentially be setting himself up for a charge.
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Thank you for the report. Always great to see the Warriors of Chaos defeated.

Alas, your list seems to be invalid. The Death Hag can only have one of the Gifts of Khaine not all of them (or am I missing something here?)
Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

DarkSky wrote:Thank you for the report. Always great to see the Warriors of Chaos defeated.

Alas, your list seems to be invalid. The Death Hag can only have one of the Gifts of Khaine not all of them (or am I missing something here?)

There wasn't cry of war or witchbrew, my bad i'll change the list. The combined witch elves attacks were 23 not 29. I had the other one -Rune of Khaine, it lets you add D3 attacks. In hindsight witchbrew is a lot better and I only ended up with 1 extra attack each time I rolled so will change that first when I make a new list.
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Tactical Dark ELf wrote:
DarkSky wrote:Thank you for the report. Always great to see the Warriors of Chaos defeated.

There wasn't cry of war or witchbrew, my bad i'll change the list. The combined witch elves attacks were 23 not 29. I had the other one -Rune of Khaine, it lets you add D3 attacks. In hindsight witchbrew is a lot better and I only ended up with 1 extra attack each time I rolled so will change that first when I make a new list.

Ah, I see. I thought so initially, because you mentioned only the Rune of Khaine in the report, however I stumbled upon this:

Tactical Dark ELf wrote:Combat, my death hag rolls D3 and gets 1 extra attack from rune of khaine so she now has 6 in total, re-rolling to hit, poisoned, murderous prowess, strength 6. She go's to town even with the -1 t hit nurgle mark. Think she kills 4 or 5.

Wouldn't the Hag lose Poison as well as the Additional Attack from having two weapons, since you equipped her with the Ogre Blade? (And thus only have five attacks)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Yes she would have lost those rules.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth