Watchtower Army

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Watchtower Army

Post by Daeron »

Since WFB 8th will be continued in my gaming group, I'd like to experiment with army styles and units I never tried with the latest book (but would have loved to field). One idea is a more state troop focused list as a watchtower defense force. So I'm expecting mostly:
- Dreadspears
- Darkshards
- Cold One Knights
- Bolt Throwers
- Combat characters
- Chariots

What I expect in small numbers:
- Light cavalry
- Shades (some is fine, but not a whole force)
- Harpies
- Pegasi (one max?)
- Magic

Most of all, the army needs to feel like a more traditional military army. So the odd exception to the rule is acceptable, as long as it doesn't break the theme.

The gist of the army I have in mind is:
- 40 Dreadspears
- 22 Darkshards
- 10-12 Cold One Knights
- 2 Cold One Chariots
- 2x5 Dark Riders
- 5 Shades
- 5 Harpies
- 3 RBTs
- Level 4 Sorc on Foot
- Bunch of Combat chars
For magic I'd go Shadow.

I'd love to squeeze in another 40 Dreadspear unit, but that may be pushing it points wise or may be cutting too much support.

So here's what I'm most troubled by: what kind of characters can I shove in there? What would I need to make this viable?
I'm so used to making mounted characters than configuring characters on foot feels a little weird. (No 1+ armour save? *shudder*)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Watchtower Army

Post by Vulcan »

Oh, dear, you'll have to settle for a 2+ armor save, how awful! Given how most OTHER armies have to settle for 4+...

Pity the Executioner's Axe didn't make the 8E cut; it was a lovely nasty surprise for heavy/monstrous cavalry...
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Don't see the problem here:
Enchanted Shield + Heavy Armour + Sea Dragon Cloak = 1+
(Normal Shield plus Dragonhelm is also viable)

Character-wise to be fluffy I would field:

The Watchtower commander (Dreadlord on Foot) overseeing the defense near the Darkshards and Bolt Throwers
The Lieutenant (Master on Cold One/Dark Steed) leading the outriders
The Advisor (Sorceress on Foot)
Master-at-Arms (BSB, on Foot, with RXB) shouting "steady" and "loose" or without leading the spears, shouting "hold" and "push".
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Vulcan wrote:Oh, dear, you'll have to settle for a 2+ armor save, how awful!

Yeah! :P
I don't recall the last time I made a combat character on foot.

DarkSky wrote:Don't see the problem here:
Enchanted Shield + Heavy Armour + Sea Dragon Cloak = 1+
(Normal Shield plus Dragonhelm is also viable)

The shield itself doesn't permit a 2H weapon, which kind of limits the choices if you want the char to have some combat power.
I always loved how a halberd or GW would buff their combat ability for little cost, and no magic cost.

It's not something I'm used to, that's all. But I quite like how you divided the roles. The Dreadlord could be powerful enough on foot, and the Master can get the 1+ from mundane stuff when mounted, leaving a lot of room for a defensive build.

Hm. Let's see.
- Dreadlord on foot, Heavy Armour, SDC, Shield, Sword of Anti Heroes, Other Trickster Shard, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm
- Master on Dark Steed, Armour of Destiny, SDC, Shield, Lance - Not sure about this one. Cloak of Twillight instead?
- Supreme Sorceress, Ring of Hotek, Dispel Scroll
- Master on foot, BSB, HA, SDC, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Dawnstone

That master feels a bit inefficient of points budget. Perhaps, instead, I could put the general on the Cold ones and stick with a BSB in the back? That ought to give something like:
- Dreadlord on Cold One, SDC, Sword of Anti Heroes, Other Trickster Shard, Armour of Destiny, Luckstone
- Supreme Sorceress, Talisman of preservation, Dispel Scroll
- Master on foot, BSB, HA, SDC, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Dawnstone

Maybe I'll try both setups! :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze