Questions on some rules and tactics

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Questions on some rules and tactics

Post by IcemanDraich »

Hi everyone, i've some questions that need answers, i've read the rolebook but some things are not so easy to understand or to find.

1. I've read a strange rule about shooting wound assignment into units. For example: if I have a master 1+ AS into any unit (BG for example) and i suffer 2 wounds from a bow can I assign 1 wound to the master and the other one to the unit? What happen if I suffer more wounds? Or if I have 2 Masters in the same unit?

2. If my front rank is made of masters (assume a warlock bus 3 wide for example) shooting is assigned on the unit? Or to the front rank? And what happen if one model got T4 while the other are T3? (I think as elfs the only case will be Malekith into a unit)

3. Sometimes I see people write: put dark riders in front of a unit with a 45 degree to flank that unit the next turn with yours if they chose to charge. But if Dark Riders brake or all of them die wouldn't be the enemy able to reform for free? Making flank charge impossible again? Or in any case i will get one flank due to the degree of the enemy?

4. Dark Riders are able to shoot 360 or not anymore? Warlocks too have 360 for doombolt or I need to have the target into the front arc?

5. Characters with Dark Steed can join footman right? But pegasus can too?

6. If i reform a unit, that unit can't declare a charge right? So to stop a warmachine hunter a footman unit need 2 turns.

7. If the warmachine crew declare a flee reaction and I can't catch them but can catch the warmachine can I destroy it with strikes using the warmachine toughness? That should make sense for me but sometimes rules are strange.

Thanks to anyone who will choose to answer my noobish questions :D
tehnico
Warrior

Re: Questions on some rules and tactics

Post by tehnico »

1. If there are 5 or more R&F troops in a unit (including Standard bearer and Musician, excluding champion) all hits are allocated on the unit troops. It says nothing about choosing to allocate wounds onto characters. So I imagine you cannot.

2. My understanding is If it's a BS shooting (IE. archers, bolt throwers) you defer again to the R&F rule above. If it's a template shooting attack, or unusual shooting attack (cannonball) that doesn't use ballistic skill to fire, and the character would be impacted, and you have the qualifying R&F rule above, you get a 2+ look out sir roll.

In the event of BS shooting, If you don't qualify for the R&F requirement above (4 R&F in the unit, 2 characters) hits are distributed evenly starting with R&F and moving on to characters. 8 hits would result in one hit for each model, and then two additional hits on the R&F models. In the event of a template attack (cannon, stone thrower) where the R&F requirement is not met, you lose your look out sir roll, and the template strikes the models underneath it as usual.

3. Depends on the unit you're luring in. You can perform a flee, and they may opt to chase. If you place them close enough to be a tempting target, but far enough that you have a good chance to run, you can draw someone out. If it's a frenzy unit, and you expect them to wipe you out, they are forced to overrun... I think. So they can't restrain and reform upon victory. Hopefully you get a lucky save or two, and you guys hold though. It's a risk, with more good outcomes than bad outcomes, just choose wisely.

4. Not sure, I always just move them to face what I want them too, and fire away, with movement penalty. Warlock doombolt is a magic missile and needs forward arc and LoS as a casting requirement. To be honest, if you're not moving a DR unit every chance you can you're not using them right.

5. So long as there is room for the character it can join any unit. Here's an example where they can't. Dark riders are in tight quarters between obstacles. Pegasus is not a matching footprint with cav. It is forced to be put in the front row since it's a character. Since the footprint doesn't jive and can't displace models (force them back) it must be placed attached to the side of the unit on the front rank. Since the obstacles prevent this from happening, the pegmaster cannot join the unit this turn.

6. It cannot declare a charge. Or just shoot it with the war machine. It's got 360º LoS.

7. A war machine can only hold as a charge reaction. If a War Machine and crew lose combat, and fail their break test, it is immediately destroyed. It cannot flee. Though to answer your question, catching any fleeing unit destroys it immediately.

I THINK I've got these all correct. correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Thanks.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

1. If there are 5 or more R&F troops in a unit (including Standard bearer and Musician, excluding champion) all hits are allocated on the unit troops. It says nothing about choosing to allocate wounds onto characters. So I imagine you cannot.

Mostly right. The controlling player can (in this first case, must) allocate hits on characters when the unit is fewer than 5RnF models OR the character is of a different troop type than the unit. So you can allocate one shooting attack on pegriders and cauldrons and the like if they are inside infantry units when hit by BS shooting. (BRB. pg99)

...and then two additional hits on the R&F models.

Again, the controlling player gets to choose where the leftover hits goes. 4 models hit by 8 shots = 2 hits on each model. 4 models hit by 6 shots = each model takes a hit, and the controlling player decides if the leftover hits characters and/or RnF.

4. Dark Riders are able to shoot 360 or not anymore? Warlocks too have 360 for doombolt or I need to have the target into the front arc?

You need to see (LoS) the target you are shooting, and the same goes for the doombolt since its a magic missile. Still, fastcav have some added benefits when it comes to shooting, free reforms and beeing able to march and shoot.

5. Characters with Dark Steed can join footman right? But pegasus can too?

Yes, but the footprint decides what type of ranged attacks can hit your character. Same footprint = cant be singled out with BS based shooting (though you can allocate a hit on him if you wish), but offers no protection vs template based attacks.

Hopefully I got this right :)
tehnico
Warrior

Post by tehnico »

Mikael.k wrote:Again, the controlling player gets to choose where the leftover hits goes. 4 models hit by 8 shots = 2 hits on each model. 4 models hit by 6 shots = each model takes a hit, and the controlling player decides if the leftover hits characters and/or RnF.

So, I was trying to illustrate a small unit of six models, 4 R&F and 2 Chars. Before you can double down on R&F, the characters are compelled to absorb a hit as well, yes? That makes 1 hit per model, with two remaining to allocate. I just always allocated them on R&F after that until I had to allocate on characters again, didn't realize I could instead let them hit one of my tanks.

But so long as they are all the same troop type, and the unit contains 5 or more R&F, they must all be resolved on the unit, right?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

tehnico wrote:
Mikael.k wrote:Again, the controlling player gets to choose where the leftover hits goes. 4 models hit by 8 shots = 2 hits on each model. 4 models hit by 6 shots = each model takes a hit, and the controlling player decides if the leftover hits characters and/or RnF.

So, I was trying to illustrate a small unit of six models, 4 R&F and 2 Chars. Before you can double down on R&F, the characters are compelled to absorb a hit as well, yes? That makes 1 hit per model, with two remaining to allocate. I just always allocated them on R&F after that until I had to allocate on characters again, didn't realize I could instead let them hit one of my tanks.

But so long as they are all the same troop type, and the unit contains 5 or more R&F, they must all be resolved on the unit, right?

You are correct :) The only thing the rulebook really says is that you need to allocte one hit each, then two hits each and so on.
IcemanDraich
Trainee Warrior

Post by IcemanDraich »

So if I have 5 R&F and a Char into the unit hits are allocated to the R&F.

Into the magic phase a mm come to the unit hit are allocated to the unit and attempt to kill one model.

Into the balistic phase a unit of archer shoot to the unit 8 shots got a hit. So I allocate them 2 on each model. Now i roll all them separately. To make the example more clear: the oppo need a 5 to wound and got: 5/5 1/1 1/5 1/1

So he got 3 wounds on total but 2 are on the same model. So I got only 2 dead models not 3 (assume no save of any sort).