The Warlock Beaststar vs. Dwarves

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

tehnico
Warrior

The Warlock Beaststar vs. Dwarves

Post by tehnico »

So I'll just give the headlines on the tactics I used, not a battle report. I was supposed to fight O&G, but he didn't have enough models put together.

2000 pts. I made a Warlock BeastStar out of 4 masters, a LVL4 sorceress and 10 Warlocks with champion. Brought three units of 5 DR's, 3 RBT's, 13 Darkshards, and Peg Master CoT.

We rolled meeting engagement, rolled for reserves... SMH... I rolled 4 1's. A Bolt thrower, the Darkshards, and 2 DR units. Despite being seriously handicapped to start the game, and having so few targets for his shooting in the first round, I managed to avoid serious injury, distract enough shooting with that lone dark rider unit right in his face, or stave off wounds with ward saves, that I only lost the DR unit after it had pulled his slayers out of position on a flee/failed charge exposing his entire flank to the roaming beast star coming down the line.

I got the boosted savage beast off on my first charge against his slayers flank, sacrificed my peg master to charge block the hammerers and protect the beaststars flank, overran after obliterating the slayers into an organ gun, and proceeded to chew threw the following units. 20 crossbow quarrellers (broken after combat and overrun with SB and BSB), Grim Burlockson (was fleeing and overrun on the same pursuit, 2 for 1!), a Grudge Thrower on a separate character charge, and 20-ish long beards... all in 3 full game turns, or 5 rounds of combat.

I lost 9 warlocks (only made 1 of 5 ward saves and lost 4 to slayers deathblow), and took one wound on my BSB on a dangerous terrain test throughout the whole thing. The Darkshards took out a canon from long range (I know, they never hit like that). The three units of DR's did their chaff duties and all died absorbing gun fire. It bears mentioning that he had terrible rolling for his Organ gun the only round he was able to shoot with it. And he misfired his stone thrower once.

The hammerers with a Thane and Runesmith spent the whole game chasing and failing to catch my Peg Master that diverted their attention on turn two, while my Bolt Throwers whittled them down to about 13. They were the only survivors.

Along the BeastStar roll through I got both soulblight, anraheir, and wyssans off on numerous occasions, essentially turning his dwarves into a terrible version of elves, and my elves into an amazing version of dwarves. It was a crushing defeat, the likes of which I've never put on an entrenched army of dwarves.

He resigned after the top of the fifth.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The Warlock Beaststar vs. Dwarves

Post by Phierlihy »

That doesn't sound like list I'd like to play against. I don't think deathstars require tactical wizardry to field and if you don't bring the exact tools to crack it, the games tend to be very lopsided wins.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Getting Savage Beast off on four characters running solo will destroy most units, much less ones supported by a unit.

It's nice you did so well and all, but that was a lucky break there. Play it again and tell us how it works when the magic phase craps out.
tehnico
Warrior

Post by tehnico »

Vulcan wrote:Getting Savage Beast off on four characters running solo will destroy most units, much less ones supported by a unit.

It's nice you did so well and all, but that was a lucky break there. Play it again and tell us how it works when the magic phase craps out.

He complained that the only reason I did so well was getting that spell after he'd used up his rune of spell breaking. For fun I rolled it off without the spell. Instead of 24 unsaveable wounds I got 14. It was a 12 slayer unit. So the spell didn't really help that much beyond a guarantee.