psychological warfare

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

psychological warfare

Post by Imdat tauble »

I just saw a post somewhere where someone (lots of vagues...:P) put like 2 assassins in his corsair unit in a game, just so that his opponents would act a bit more hesitantly in his next battles towards his corsairs.

I'm thinking about doing a similar thing, just to keep my 2 units of exes working. As this tactic requires taht the guy doesn't go full on towards my exes, i'm going to play a couple of games where i put my assassin(s) elsewhere, just to make them think twice :)
one thing im definitely going to do: get my rxbmen going forward (wow, a stupid little rxb unit - lets go to those units of exes and assassins that he usually takes and whips our but - i hope - with). Suddenly, BOOM! 2 assassins in my warrior unit... then next time ill advance my warriors... but my assassin'll be back in my exe unit... and so on and so forth... in other words, they wont have a clue who to target - and thats the way i like it :)

anyone else have any ideas for psychological warfare that they'd like to share?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It always help to brag about how your unit x ripped apart unit y in the last game against player z. :D

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Once - when playing Battle Tech, but works here, too - when another player made the best move possible, I turned to my partner and said something like "Yes, he did it!" silently with a happy expression on my face.

The other player immediately put his figure back into the previous position and reconsidered his move. LOL

Bye
Thanee
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

haha! i love that one - must try it a few times
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

also try this:

bring the assasin figs and make sure the enemy sees them, but you haven't really included them in the army. that should keep him on his toes afraid to comitt his heavy cav for a large part of the battle until it is too late and you are bruning his homes and bringing back his cheep as slaves and ehh wait... hmm
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

And don't forget to NOT use all character slots then and buy a lot of magic items if your opponent is good, otherwise he'll know very quickly, that there can't be an Assassin around!

Bye
Thanee
Yeurl
Noble

Post by Yeurl »

Uh, the one with the "two assassins" story has to be me.

It makes oneself feel good that someone is finding psychological warfare just as much fun as I do ;)

When an opponent makes a move that may hurt them, I usually say something like "are you sure about that move? Remember that once you move the unit, it has to stay there..." I usually get them to think twice before doing some stupid move that will end the battle too fast to be fun.

It is rather strange that you may applaud an opponent's move, and when they see you cheering them, they start thinking they've done something bad, and procceed to make a whole new movement turn. Needless to say, this new turn is usually better for me than for them, but oh, well, I let them repeat all their movement, didn't I? whatever happens next is not my fault ;)

Sadly, these tricks don't work when I'm playing my brother. After all, he's been playing against me for quite a long time, and has suffered my tricks first hand...
Watch your steps, my friend, for your way up is almost as fast as your way down, at the whim of the Witch King
Shadowdeath

Post by Shadowdeath »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i like the idea of phycological warfare i must try it!

im playing a game tomarrow and see how it does.
Magron
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Magron »

Try to distract your opponent and bring him out of his concentration.
a few possibilities:

-Bring a statue of a saint, a toysoldier, a barbiedoll, maybe even your pet.
Whisper in it's ears, worship it, ask it for guidance, ask the other player of he wants to touch it for good luck...

-If a druchi dies, (even if it's a simple warrior) give it a decent funeral, tell a bit about his life, and how much you will miss him...you could make a little coffin...

-If your enemy moves a regiment start gigling, chanting,...
BTW manacial laughter is good for every occasion.

-Speak in tongues.

-Encourage your models by telling them that the reinforcements will be arriving any minute now.

-Try to bribe his Dogs of War mercenaries to switch sides.

-Announce that your corsairs are throwing their helmets at regiment x. "So that's 8 strength 3 hits against your halberdiers, and now you have to test against Ld to see if your men don't fall over the helmets..."

-Give the impression you have some kind of nervous tic; frown, blink, scratch, wiggle...

- Try the Mr.Burns -pose: constantly say things like "Excellent" or "Well done, old chap" while folding hands.

Don't get carried away, you'll have lots of fun but you may loose sight of your battleplan :(
experiment with different styles...

Magron
intrus1

Can't stop laughing

Post by intrus1 »

Can't stop laughing "magron" :lol:

I'll try some of those tactics next time I play! :twisted:
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

lol... very good very good !lol!!lol!!lol!!lol!
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

I love to put the model of an assassin on the table, as if I would like to have it at hand, even when I do not have one in my list...works surprisingly often... 8)
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
The Jewel-Eyed One

Post by Avatarofslaanesh »

Ooh Ooh I got one
What could we do with some music
How would you feel if your opponent started playing Darth Vaders Theme music while deploying his troops
One that isnt pshychological warfare but is fun is to start playing We will Rock you when your COK's charge someone(We cant use it but try it while using a stone thrower)
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

if we were necrons id have the coolest phychological warfare song to play, but then again, we aren't necrons...

it's "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down"... that one (forgot the exact name and artist)
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

For nerons, I would actually prefer the theme from terminator...
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

howcome? Isn't "i get knocked down" such a better psychological thing, with the fact that the necrons do get back up again and all?
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Heres a couple....

Do exactly what they expect -> your reputation as a smarmy cnut will have preceeded you and therefore *not* doing that will only increse their paranoia

Do really REALLY dumb moves etc as if you have been planning them the whole time -> Occasionally have a back-up plan for these events but not always

Build the tension around the game, this works well in the store games as the more people who gather to watch will increase the tension nicely -> a bit of a gamble as it also increases the loss of presige if YOU lose

Most of all watch your opponent, every move he/she makes every glance accross the battlefield could easilly be where they are shooting next -> USE THIS KNOWLEDGE

By knowing your opponent you can know what to expect, but also you know what unnerves them, eg I have a couple of friends which have become convinced that Tyranids will beat them every game (my 40k army) By playing on this fear and specifically selecting units they fear most you can tailor your terror tactics to the specific target.

Zea
Balzlak
Captain of the Black Guard

Post by Balzlak »

steja wrote:howcome? Isn't "i get knocked down" such a better psychological thing, with the fact that the necrons do get back up again and all?

That song is from Chumbawumba. Old English Chaps i believe.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Elthrai
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Elthrai »

steja wrote:if we were necrons id have the coolest phychological warfare song to play, but then again, we aren't necrons...

it's "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down"... that one (forgot the exact name and artist)

The song is called Tubthumping, I believe, and it's by the band Chumbawumba.
"I'll kill you! I'll kill you all! Now if someone would just help me up and fetch my weapon for me..."
-Elthrai the Slothful, the Doom of poor roleplayers.

http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=305541
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

so what? it aint like it matters who wrote it... it just fits too perfectly to be ignored...
Beastmaster kroyja
Warrior

Post by Beastmaster kroyja »

For real phycology thats not putting off the opponent look at the army lists, on " The Best 2000pt Druchii Army List (Updated)" go down till a heading of phycology by Beastmaster Kroyja its a good peice and it works.
"I don't believe in a fate that falls on elves in which the way they act but I do believe in a fate that falls on elves unless they act."
Declared by Kroyja
Champion of Nagarythe.
Trash 'em
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trash 'em »

I really like this whole idea of psychologically messing with your opponent. I can't really come up with any input just now, but I would really like to hear other methods of screwing with the other player's mind. So let's continue this thread for a while, shall we!?
Anything but a 1
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

OK, dunno if this is real Psychological Warfare, but it's definately "messing with my opponents minds" :

When we're playing at my place, the measures of alcohol in my opponents drinks are always bigger than those in my drinks...

We're drinking beer? My opponents get 'heavy' beer, I take a normal beer...

We're drinking wine? Nobody notices the bit of Wodka I put in there...

If my opponent still has to write out his list while already at my place, I put on a CD with the Peter & Elliot line "A Dragon, a dragon, I swear I saw a dragon! very loudly (this only when there's no Dragon in my list)... Usually there will be some combo or another on one of his characters to go a Dragon hunting
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Lord kalhadron
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord kalhadron »

lol
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

everybody does that I think

Post by Lord happyslave »

I also have such a brother ( we have DWarves and DE and I sometimes may play with his DE, they're so much cooler as my dum dwarves ) and when he plays with DE he cheats and cheats and that's quite funny.
But once, I tought to make easy points and attacked his 30 big corsairs unit with my stubborn hammeres
Kablamo ! 2 assassins ( everybody uses thart trick I think ) I lost 4 models ( friggin Manbane no saves for me then ) and then his Champ and 4 corsairs finisched the last one.
His champion KILLED MY HEROE AAAAARGH.
and from that moment on, I'm aso starting to play DE
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2