8th DE Balanced List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Chapo
Slave on the Altar

8th DE Balanced List

Post by Chapo »

Hi everyone,
I play warhammer fantasy 8th for several years with the models of a friend of mine.
Now I have decided to build an army and I have chosen the dark elves (never played before). I studied the book a lot and sketched a list.
I was very inspired by the lists published on this link: 2014 ETC DE lists - opinions/analysis. {Buses, NETHERLANDS: Alexander Frenzel}

LORDS (315)
Supreme Sorceress (315) : 4 lvl , Ring of Hotek , Dispel Scroll , Dark Steed

HEROES (451)
Master - General (142) : Great weapon , Sea Dragon Cloak , Armour of Destiny , Cold One
Master - BSB (121) : BSB , Great weapon , Sea Dragon Cloak , Heavy Armour , Cold One
Master - Dark Pegasus (188) : Lance , Sea Dragon Cloak , Heavy Armour , Shield , Cloak of Twilight , Dark Pegasus

CORE (570)
10 Dark Riders (220) : Shields , Repeater Crossbows , Musician , Standard Bearer
5 Dark Riders (110) : Shields , Repeater Crossbows , Musician
20 Witch Elves (240) : Musician , Standard Bearer

SPECIAL (410)
8 Cold One Knights (270) : Full Command [Master - General and Master - BSB Here]
2 Repeater Bolt Thrower (140)

RARE (250)
5 Doomfire Warlocks (125) [Supreme Sorceress Here]
5 Doomfire Warlocks (125)

TOTAL (1996)

**TACTICS**
Supreme Sorceress : Magic threat and defence. I'm undecided between Death, Life, Shadow and Dark, any suggestions?

Master - General : More damage and I don't like a general wizard
Master - BSB : A must-have
Master - Dark Pegasus : War Machine-chaff counter

10 Dark Riders : Combat block, ranged threat
5 Dark Riders : Chaff, ranged threat
20 Witch Elves : Combat block , horde-monster counter

8 Cold One Knights : Combat block , armor counter
2 Repeater Bolt Thrower : Ranged threat , armor-monster-chaff counter

5 Doomfire Warlocks (Supreme Sorceress Here) : Bunker
5 Doomfire Warlocks : Chaff , magic threat

I find the list fairly balanced, but I have never played dark elves, so I would like to listen to your advice before buying the models.
would you make any changes? Does this list have any weaknesses?

Thanks in advance :D
Last edited by Chapo on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: 8th DE 2000 Balanced List

Post by T.D. »

It's taking a while for the old *Warhammer 8th* gears to turn in my mind...

...but IIRC this seems a decent list. As you are new to playing Dark Elves you may struggle for a few (to several) games before you get the hang of it, because in a list like this the deployment and movement phases are crucial, as is selecting your close combat engagements.

Have a search in the Battle Reports section for similar lists and have a look at how they play. Omnichron, Amboadine, Clockwork and Lord Drakon are players that come to mind who's lists and playstyles may enlighten you. I have never played at the competition level but I once posted a battle list with a CoK bus, Dark Riders and Warlocks, which you can read here.

Sorceress Lore -- depends on what you are playing against. I like Death as it is the most killy, but Shadow and Heavens are also good complements to this list. Your sorceress needs to be able to kill things that the Cold One Bus or Master can't (and every army will have access to something that they can't) or otherwise debuff them into killability.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Chapo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chapo »

2400 LIST

LORDS (295)
Supreme Sorceress - General (295) : Beast , 4 lvl , Ring of Hotek , Dispel Scroll

HEROES (853)
Lokhir Fellheart (235)
Master - BSB (155) : BSB , Sea Dragon Cloak , Heavy Armour , Enchanted Shield , Dawnstone , Sword of Might
Master - Dark Pegasus (188) : Lance , Sea Dragon Cloak , Heavy Armour , Shield , Cloak of Twilight , Dark Pegasus
Death Hag (275) : Cauldron of Blood

CORE (625)
30 Witch Elves (405) : Full Command , Razor Standard

SPECIAL (140)
1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (70)

RARE (480)
Bloodwrack Shrine (175)
10 Sister of Slaughter (180) : Musician , Standard Bearer , Banner of Eternal Flame

TOTAL (2393)

Bloodwrack Shrine:

Master - BSB --> M S S S LF <-- Lokhir Fellheart
S. Sorceress --> SS S S S M <-- Musician
Stand. Bearer --> B S S S T <-- S. of Slaugh.
S. of Slaugh. --> T S S S T <-- S. of Slaugh.
S. of Slaugh. --> T S S S T <-- S. of Slaugh.

This is my personal interpretation of Dalamar's "Two Towers" with the Lord Drakon's "Gladiator Wagons"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Lokhir? He never was a favorite IIRC.
The rest of the list does not raise any flag to me.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Chapo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chapo »

With the lore of beast I can do some nice combos:
-Pann's Impenetrable Pelt (boosted): the Master, the Death Hag and Lokhir (almost zero damage on the Bloodwrack shrine unit : good anvil) become very tough.
-The Savage Beast of Horros: Lokhir becomes a pretty good character killer.
-Transformation of Kadon: the wizard being in the second rank can safely arrive in combat and launch the transformation calmly.
-Wyssan's Wildform : on Witch Elves, not a combo, but still effective.

These are the different reasons why I use the lore of beasts and Lokhir.
In your opinion, is a well-equipped Dreadlord better?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I have no opinion on my own, I always sucked at equipping lords...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Point for point Lokhir is *terrible* possibly the worst character you can pick. All hero level special characters are pretty terrible compared to what you can build yourself for the same points.

Your Bloodwrack Shrine unit, what are they meant to do? Very expensive for a sorceress guard, very weak for a combat unit, very expensive for both. What's their role?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Chapo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chapo »

You're right, I'll change Lokhir with a Dreadlord.

I answer you by quoting Lord Drakon:
Conclusion
If you choose to give your Gladiators a 'Wagon', therefore adding a Bloodwrack Shrine to a unit of Sisters of Slaughter, you change the uses and function of them. Instead of a 'Hammer' they become an 'Anvil'. Good Anvils is something that Dark Elf armies lack since our cheap spearman became expensive. More than a Good Anvil, the Gladiator Wagon or Shrine of Slaughter as I like to call it becomes a Anvil Breaker. It also offers the possibility to function as a 'bunker' for your Sorceresses and other characters, other than the Darkshards, Dark Riders or Warlocks who are used most currently. It provides Terror to the Sisters, making them immune to enemy fear and terror causing units while also provides ranks, providing Stubborn in case of Steadfast. The ranks provide +3 combat resolution, while the sisters negate +3 combat resolution for enemy anvils. Combine this with D6 + 1 Impact Hits and -1 Leadership and you will break most units on the charge. Another great addition is the Medusa combat and shooting killing blow attacks, providing a answer to the only thing Sisters struggle against : armour.

for what concerns magic:
The best magic synergies with the Gladiator Wagons or 'Shrine of Slaughter' are Beast, Light, Life and Metal magic. You can truly make it a devastating unit with two masters in the front rank and Lore of Beast in close combat while also providing some needed toughness with Wildform. Because of the formation you could include a Light Council and make it very deadly not only in combat but also from a distance. Metal offers both great offensive and defensive spells while countering the biggest weakness of the Shrine of Slaughter which is metal. Life keeps the unit alive while advancing under heavy missile fire and returning wounds to both Sisters and Shrine. Death, Shadow and Dark magic are best used to bring dangerous spells close to the enemy.

Do you think they are well spent points?
Chapo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Chapo »

2400 LIST

LORDS (549)
Dreadlord - General (249) : Sea Dragon Cloak , Heavy Armour , Enchanted Shield , Dawnstone , Talisman of Preservation , Sword of Might , Ironcurse Icon
Supreme Sorceress (295) : Beast , 4 lvl , Ring of Hotek , Dispel Scroll

HEROES (616)
Master - BSB (153) : BSB , Sea Dragon Cloak , Shield , Armour of Destiny
Death Hag (275) : Cauldron of Blood

CORE (615)
30 Witch Elves (395) : Musician , Standard Bearer , Razor Standard

SPECIAL (140)

RARE (480)
Bloodwrack Shrine (175)
10 Sister of Slaughter (180) : Musician , Standard Bearer , Banner of Eternal Flame

TOTAL (2400)

OUT : Lokhir Fellheart , Witch Elves Champion
IN : Dreadlord