I'll have to be honest so... my first DE game.. 500 pts

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

I'll have to be honest so... my first DE game.. 500 pts

Post by Anaryin »

Ok, despite my post number I'm probably the less experienced player here with a Dark Elven Army. With Vampires, I've played several games but none with DE... well... one.. but it doesn't count.. too stupid... So, tomorrow I'll go for my first game, vs chaos Khorne, with only 500 pts of my beloved mates.

500 pts

Noble, my general. Cheap and an acceptable guy to give some punch to the army. As I'm going to face tin cans, I'll have to get an opener so, the Blade of Ruin is my choice. 50 pts well spent IMO. Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and a shield ought give him a nice protection.

Next, for a core unit, I'll go for 15 warriors with shields. Spears would not be that good so, I'll prefer to hold a few turns than try to kill a 4+ save guy..

My strategy to beat them resides in flank charges so, 5 DR with spears and standart are obvious. Also, rxb in these guys just in case... and to cause some damage (if possible).

At last, the most important piece of my army, RBT....

this leads 501 pts... what do you think?
Vice
Highborn

Post by Vice »

Sounds like it will do fairly well. I usually don't play 500, the lowest i will ever play is 1k. But other then that, I think it would do pretty well. The only problem will be protecting that highborn. You'll need to get him in fast. but since its Khorne Chaos, it shouldnt be too big of a program. The only real concern is that yoru warriors wont do too much except hold up warriors for a turn or two in CC. Shooting wise they wont do much..
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Sounds like you have a good understanding of what the units can and cannot do. One thing you may want to consider is elves have a good movement, and can often get the charge against other infantry, so spearelves have a bit of reduced effect. If you can squeeze in the points you may want to put the noble on a dark steed with the other dark riders, that alone has a chance to break enemy units ;)
Dutch_kiwi
Executioner
Location: teaching Orcs to read... this could take a while...

Post by Dutch_kiwi »

the rbt will be really useful. I would hold the enemy up for as long as possible with the DR, while you pound him with missile fire. chances are he will only have about two units. I think Chaos is weakest in low-point battles. good luck ;)
I obviously don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so you really should've ignored this post instead of going to all the trouble of reading it.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Do you have any info on what your opponent likes to put in his armies? I you think he might be going with a fair number of marauders, keep the repeater crossbows. On the other hand, if he likes to go with a lot of warriors, dump the repeater crossbows from the dark riders. They'll just bounce off the toughness 4, high armor save bastards . . .

Also, I would be tempted to drop the spearmen and go with an all-cavalry army with 500 points. No need to worry about spells or missiles, so you could take all dark riders and try to run circles around him. Put the noble on a dark steed as well, and only charge if you have a flank charge.

Remeber, Khorne troops cannot flee as a charge reaction when they are frenzied. Us it against him.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

Ah - but I'll be the least experinced warhammerplayer here. And I have over 2,000 posts...
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Ah - but I'll be the least experinced warhammerplayer here. And I have over 2,000 posts...

eheh ;)

I believe the guy is going to use Tzeench instead of Khorne.. and tzeench in 500 pts is kinda stupid.. how many PD can they get?? dunno.. anyway, my general strategy is to flank him with the DR and get a frontal charge with the warriors. They have 4+ save (I'll not use spears) so... I hope they hold their ground... as for the rxb, it's just in case he brings any T3 troops.. like marauders or deamons.. and I can always pray to get 6's and he getting 1's.. :roll:
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I think a 50 point magic item is WAY to much in a 500 point battle. I'd buy more Dark Riders. The RBT is going to be your most valuable unit. I played a 500 point battle vs O&G recently with this...

Beastmaster ( cheapest generla, never even got to hit anyone )
10 RXB Warriors
10 Witch Elves
5 Dark Riders w RXB's
1 RBT

I wiped him out in 3 turns....
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Well, it's the only way to go through his saves and striking first... ST6 reduces by 3 the save so, 3+ will become 6+ and 2+ - 5+. however, that's 35 pts if I'm not mistaken. For more 15 pts I get the chance of a +1 armour save for me, shield, and a no-way of him saving, even with 1+ or 0+ armour saves (eg. Heroes on chaos steeds). That's why I need it and spend 50 pts on the blade. Also, more dark riders would not be much effective.. for more 50 pts I can get two more.. and DR, I want a whole unit more if I want more...
Tu'shan
Noble

Post by Tu'shan »

Sword + shields is deffinently the right combo for your troops, remember your troops are probably faster than his, so even they might be able to outmanouver them.
id ditch the crossbows on the dark riders though, That would probably give you the points to put your noble on a steed so he can join them......
good luck:-
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

naa, the DR with a noble would become extremely pricey in 500 pts (over half of it!) so it would become an obvious target.. they are fragile so.. I prefer to stick the noble with the warriors, more protected.
Slothy
Cold One Knight

Post by Slothy »

I think Dyvim's aproach of all-cavalry army is very tempting. I would also include the noble in a DR unit & give him a crossbow too(& the DR's also)
The strategy might not work but if it does it will be very embarassing for your friend :)
An other idea would be to replace the Noble with a Sorceress.Since chaos Khorne are not famous for their spellcasting ,so your DR will be riding around firing their crossbows and the Sorceress will be blasting them out with her spells :D
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

LOL, sorry but... Khorne generates one dispel dice PER marked unit.. they often get 7 dispel dices or 8... so.. no way.. also, if the guy brings tzeench.. I'll be overwhelmed... better to be neutral ;)
Slothy
Cold One Knight

Post by Slothy »

oooops didn't knew that... :lol: