A return to Dark Elves with this Raider themed List.........

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

A return to Dark Elves with this Raider themed List.........

Post by Rasputinii »

Hi,
I used to have a highly succesful Druchii army featuring a uber unit of COKs. But I left them on a train and that was that. I couldn't face replacing the army so I moved on to Tomb Kings. But the army is nearing completion, and for my Birthday I plan to start a new army, but I want a fast army, really fast. And High Elves dont work becuase of their crappy expensive core choices, rubish models and pants fluff, oh yeah and they are goodies :evil:. So back to Dark Elves. And this is what I have come up with. At the bottom I will outline the deployment and give a brief Idea of tactics and what I am looking for:

Characters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Elf Highborn 558pts

Base: Hand Weapon
Options: Heavy Armour[6]; Sea Dragon Cloak[9]; Shield[3]; Crown of Black Iron[35]; Gauntlet of Power[60]
Mount: Black Dragon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorceress 192pts

Options: Level 2 Wizard[40]; Dispel Scroll[25]; Seal of Ghrond[25]
Mount: Dark Steed

Dark Elf Noble 221pts

Options: Repeater crossbow[10]; Heavy Armour[4]; Battle Standard Bearer[25]; Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Hydra Banner[80]
Mount: Cold One

Units

20 x Corsairs 225pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Options: Musician[5]; Champion[10]; Standard Bearer[10]

6 x Dark Riders 165pts

Base: Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Spear;
Options: Repeater crossbow[6]; Musician[7]; Champion[14]

6 x Dark Riders 165pts

Options: Repeater crossbow[6]; Musician[7]; Champion[14]

7 x Cold One Knights 273pts

Base: Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield
Options: Champion[18]; Musician[9]; Standard Bearer[18]; War Banner[25]

1 x Cold One Chariot 97pts

Base: 2 crew, 2 Cold Ones;Scythed Wheels; 4+ Armour Save
Options: Spear (Cavalry)[2]

1 x Cold One Chariot 107pts

Options: Spear (Cavalry)[2]; Repeater crossbow[10]

2003pts in total
4 power dice
4 dispel dice
1 dispel scroll

Deployment:

Dark riders----Chariot----Corsairs----Chariot----COK-----Dark riders
-------------------------------Dragon---------------------------------------

The Sorcerer will either join a unit of Dark riders, or ride near one, depending on the presence of Heavens magic.

I have had a hard trouble explaining myself here, but I will give it a go. the basic idea is to have the Dragon go behind the enmy, the riders to either side, the COks at a half slanted angle, hald of the flank and half on the front, with the Corsairs and chariots staying to the front of the enemy. The basic prinicple is to ensnare the enemy, forcing them to fight out as opposed to across. Although Tactics will change once I actually start playing some games.

As I metioned above I Lost my Drak Elf army, so I have no models for the army. The list has mainly been designed for fun and to play against my friends who are mainly "big base" tough troops, Orcs, chaos, Lizards and Brets.

There is loose theme, of a sea born raider style army, with the dragon meant to be a sea dragon and the COKs being thier because I need them more then anything else.

I am looking for fairly general advice, although the Dragon is staying in the list. I want a dragon and it will be fun to use. Hwever I am slightly worried by magic and my lack on anti magic, although perhaps it is adequit.

Any wa I will shut up now and Let you reply if you want to.

Thank you for your time.
Pleased to be back
Mord.
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mord. »

Looks capable, the tactics are good,

but I think that the gauntlet of power on your highborn is a bit of overkill.

Why do you take a champion with your dark riders @ 14 points he is way too expensive while he only gives you his two shots on +1 to hit compared to the unit.

I'd replace the seal of grond with a dispel scroll, a scroll is much more usefull.

I also mis the harpies, they're really great and it looks like this army could use some fast skirmishers to take out those nasty warmachines!
"The Angels sing the Devil's Song."
Misda
Noble

Post by Misda »

Try and remember, in alot of events, or gaming clubs, a single character over 500 points in a 2000 point game will be viewed as "cheezy" and will get you points knocked off in most tournaments.
Fielding a super hard dragon mounted character in a 2000 point game is very very hard for your opponent to deal with if he does not know you plan on using it.
I saw one person in a GT use one, and he consistantly got very low marks for his army, and I heard plenty of people complain about it.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Cheers guys.

1) I can see what you mean, and I think I wills ay buy buy to the Heralds. Although I need my gauntlet as I play Lizards, Orks, Brets and Chaos mortals. But how am I going to fit some harpies into the army? Drop a chariot and the two heralds. That will give me enough for 10 harpies I think.

2) I can see what you mean, although I dont enter tournies as of yet and the list is mainly to be used against friends. I can't find any tournies around me but If and when I do or when i have enough time then I will enter some, but proberbly not with this list.
Pleased to be back
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Sorry one more thing:

Having read through quite a few posts on this lovely site. i have come up with a second list. If you could tell me which one is better I would appreciate it as I am pretty torn between them.

Its up for all forms of critism except one bit. The High Sorceress stays. I dont want to hear any one saying they think it is a waste of points. Critise as much else as you like except the HS. She is a no go area. The list has been created around the idea of her.

As for the second manticore you will be hard pressed to make me not take it. The high Sorceress needs a partner.

The thing that I am particulaly proud of is that I have managed to make the list have 3 major threats (the two manticores and the COKs), so the HS is not just the focus of all the enmies attcks.I also like the way it is as fast as hell, but still having a solic core (not core choices) to fall back on and to ensure that the eny faces my deployment zone at aall times during the game.

As for the Harpies they ar here to fill up a 70 odd point space but also becuase they can fly. So they might just add that little bit to the flying detachment which are also supported by the dark riders.

Characters

Malikah the High Sorceress 540pts

Options: Level 4 Wizard[40]; Sword of Might[20]; Dispel Scroll(x1)[25]; Tome of Furion[15]; Crown of Black Iron[35]
Mount: Manticore

Armaya the Sorceress 187pts

Options: Level 2 Wizard[40]; Darkstar Cloak[20]; Seal of Ghrond[25]
Mount: Dark Steed

Karad Beastmaster 287pts

Options: Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Lance[4]; Light Armour[2]; Enchanted Shield[10]; Talisman of Protection[15]; Blood Armour[20]
Mount: Manticore

Units

20 x Corsairs 225pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Options: Musician[5]; Champion[10]; Standard Bearer[10]

6 x Dark Riders 151pts

Options: Repeater crossbow[6]; Musician[7]

6 x Dark Riders 151pts

Options: Repeater crossbow[6]; Musician[7]

8 x Cold One Knights 302pts

Base: Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield
Options: Champion[18]; Musician[9]; Standard Bearer[18]; War Banner[25]

6 x Harpies 78pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons
Options: none

1 x Cold One Chariot 97pts

Options: Spear (Cavalry)[2]

2018pts in total
9 power dice
6 dispel dice
1 dispel scroll

Do you think I should drop the Harpies for 2 more COks, bringing the unit to 10? I just have a kool idea for a harpie conversion - deamonettes with wings. Fits my slaanesh theme. Damn forgot to metion that. The army has a slaanesh theme. PINK, yay! I have been thinking about converting some modles for corsairs that are more slaaneshy and less piraty. Perhaps deamonettes on small bases. What do you guys think?
Pleased to be back
High handed executioner
Noble

Post by High handed executioner »

Try and remember, in alot of events, or gaming clubs, a single character over 500 points in a 2000 point game will be viewed as "cheezy" and will get you points knocked off in most tournaments.
Fielding a super hard dragon mounted character in a 2000 point game is very very hard for your opponent to deal with if he does not know you plan on using it.
I saw one person in a GT use one, and he consistantly got very low marks for his army, and I heard plenty of people complain about it.

Try to read what the guy said dude.

He said he will be fighting his friends and the list is not a totally serius one. And any real gamer wont look at anything as 'cheesy' - when I say real gamer I mean people who don't whine all the time.

I say go for the Dragon as it's cool to have and fun to use.
Use the Warriors as bait... if they can hold the enemy: Fine... if they can't... well well, then we'll just have to kill the ignorants for murdering our "friends"!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

But which list? Are you saying I should use the first list?

And I think every one is entitled to complain some of the time. For example I am always complaing about second generation slahnn with their free add a dice thing. if they take the plaque that allows them a fith spell then they add effectivly 9 dice to the power dice pool.

Anyway that is off topic.

Which list?
Pleased to be back
Misda
Noble

Post by Misda »

Try to read what the guy said dude.

I did read his post.
He asked for suggestions and I gave them.
What he chooses to do with those suggestions is up to him.
He can use them, ignore them, write a book, I really dont care.

I stated a fact. In alot of gaming clubs, tournaments, groups of friends, single characters over 500 points will be frowned upon.
If he still wants to use it, great, go for it, have fun, I dont have to play him.
I just pointed out a fact.

Its like a chaos player taking a tooled up chaos lord on a dragon. How does an army with a lack of high strength deal with that if they dont know its comming?
If you think thats a great idea, go for it. Myself, and the people I play with, would rather have a fun, even game, rather than win because you played "herohammer".