Myt first attempt at a tournament MSU/E army.....

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Myt first attempt at a tournament MSU/E army.....

Post by Rasputinii »

Having read through all the MSU/E posts all over this site, I thought, Hmm. Interesting. Should be fun. So I thought I would try my hand at it. So here is my list, and I would appreciate any and all input.

Characters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorceress 127pts

Base: Hand Weapon
Options: Dispel Scroll(x1)[25]
Mount: Dark Steed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorceress 140pts

Options: Dispel Scroll(x1)[25]; Seal of Ghrond[25]

Beastmaster 125pts

Options: Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Lance[4]; Blood Armour[20]
Mount: Dark Pegasus

Noble (Dark Elf Noble) 129pts

Options: Lance[4]; Heavy Armour[4]; Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Enchanted Shield[10]; Crown of Black Iron[35]

Units

10 x Dark Elf Warriors 85pts

Base: Hand Weapon; Light Armour
Options: Shield[1]; Spear (Infantry)[0]; Musician[5]

16 x Dark Elf Warriors 143pts

Options: Shield[1]; Spear (Infantry)[0]; Musician[5]; Champion[10]

12 x Corsairs 135pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Options: Musician[5]; Champion[10]

10 x Dark Elf Warriors 125pts

Options: Shield[1]; Repeater crossbow[4]; Musician[5]

12 x Executioners 187pts

Base: Great Weapon; Heavy Armour
Options: Champion[12]; Musician[6]; Standard Bearer[12]; War Banner[25]

11 x Executioners 151pts

Options: Champion[12]; Musician[6]; Standard Bearer[12]

12 x Black Guard 227pts

Base: Halberd; Heavy Armour
Options: Champion[14]; Musician[7]; Standard Bearer[14]

5 x Dark Riders 141pts

Base: Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Spear;
Options: Repeater crossbow[6]; Musician[7]; Standard Bearer[14]

5 x Dark Riders 141pts

6 x Dark Riders 129pts

Options: Musician[7]; Standard Bearer[14]

5 x Harpies 65pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons
Options: none

1 x Reaper Bolt Thrower 100pts

Base: 2 crew with Hand weapon and Light Armour
Pleased to be back
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Where does the noble go? He has a lance but no mount . . .
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Oh, sorry about that. That was a little mistake. The noble should have a dark steed, and he joins a unit of Dark riders, or indeed swaps between them.

Asside from that, what do you think?
Pleased to be back
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The list is basically fine. There are many changes we can each suggest to suit our personal tastes, but it is apparent that you have read up on this subject by the very nature of what you have composed.

The thing with MSU is that you really need to play it, practice with it and find out for yourself what changes if any you need to make to be more effective.

As a starting army I say it is fine. As you games progress come here for more ideas and we will try to help you. :D
Lord slayer
Shade

Post by Lord slayer »

I would include witch elves instead of one executioner regiment. They are good at different things. Including both makes your army more flexible.

And yes, MSU takes practice. I know cause I'm still learning the hard way. :|

Lord Slayer
You call war dangerous? I make fun of the asassin, and I sleep with the Witch Elves. War is as safe as it gets for me.
- Lord Slayer -
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Cheers guys.

This is why I love this site. People actaually care about others. Which is something you don't see on the GW boards.

That is what I was thinking though, I plan to test the army to death and see how it performs. As for the Witch Elves, I dislike frenzied troop, sorry I mean hate them. I find them tactuicly to inflexible and constantly dissapointing.

I have used hem before, and whilst they have a lot of advantages, I find the small number of disadvantages to be too great for my playing style. It could well be that I expect more from them then they can give, but it is also because I find frenzt to much of a hinderance - and with a cost of 13pts each even a small unit is worth a fair few points.
Pleased to be back
Slothy
Cold One Knight

Post by Slothy »

I like it but I believe the second sorceres is wasted.2 scroll cadies are a lot i think. keep one with 2scrolls and take another noble instead with the seal.

cheers
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Perhaps, but that give same just 4 dispel dice, and no chance of ever getting any spells off.

Perhaps another flying beast master. Hmmmmm They are cheaper then a sorceress, although two might be exesive. Where would you recormend that I put the second noble? In which unit?
Pleased to be back
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Would this list work better do you think?
Basically I have dropped one Sorceress and the black guard, re-equiped my noble, put in a second RBT and a HB. Do you think this list will work better or worse?

Characters

Dark Elf Highborn 256pts

Options: Heavy Armour[6]; Sea Dragon Cloak[9]; Shield[3]; Crown of Black Iron[35]; Gauntlet of Power[60]

Dark Elf Noble 131pts

Options: Lance[4]; Heavy Armour[4]; Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Enchanted Shield[10]; Seal of Ghrond[25]

Sorceress 140pts

Options: Dispel Scroll(x2)[50]

Beastmaster 125pts

Options: Sea Dragon Cloak[6]; Lance[4]; Blood Armour[20]
Mount: Dark Pegasus

Units

16 x Dark Elf Warriors 153pts

Options: Shield[1]; Spear (Infantry)[0]; Musician[5]; Champion[10]; Standard Bearer[10]

10 x Dark Elf Warriors 125pts

Options: Shield[1]; Repeater crossbow[4]; Musician[5]

12 x Corsairs 145pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak
Options: Musician[5]; Champion[10]; Standard Bearer[10]

10 x Dark Elf Warriors 85pts

Options: Shield[1]; Spear (Infantry)[0]; Musician[5]

12 x Executioners 181pts

Options: Champion[12]; Standard Bearer[12]; War Banner[25]

10 x Executioners 140pts

Options: Champion[12]; Musician[6]; Standard Bearer[12]

5 x Dark Riders 141pts

5 x Dark Riders 111pts

6 x Dark Riders 129pts

6 x Harpies 78pts

Base: Two Hand Weapons

Pleased to be back
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

This is a very good list. It has the expected MSU stuff in there but the fast element of that has been greatly enhanced, by the character selection.

I would be keen to see how this works for you actually. Might even try the list myself. Do you have the models then to field it?
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

No, I am having to buy all the models due to the fact I left my original DE army on the train. So it might be a while. But I appreciate you very positive view - alot.

My problem with the new list is the loss of the BG. I have a feeling that they could be very useful and I would rather not right them out of the equation just yet.

So I came up with the following modifications to the original list:
Drop the DR musicians from the two units with RXBs, drop one DR from the 6 strong unit, and the warbanner.
Then all the characters change to:
Sorceress (2 D. Scrolls, DS)
Beast master (DP, BA, SDC,LA)
Noble (Halberd/GW, AoD, Seal of Ghrond) either on foot or dark steed.
HB (LA, HA, SDC, CoBI, Enchanted Sheild, Biting blade (for etheral creatures).

This way I keep the BG who could be invaluble, loose 1 dispel dice, and gain more combat ability. Do you think these modifications to the first list make it better then the second list? This way I can then change the BG for anything I want at a later date. For example more magic items for the HB, anothe rbolt rthougher, more harpies, more executioners etc....
Well that is what I plan to do. But do I mount the noble on foot or on a DS?
Pleased to be back
The dark prince
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by The dark prince »

No way the second list is great stay with it. Like DA said I might try it myself. Maybe if you can find the points bulk up all the DR unitds that have characters in them to 6 each with standards to give them a bit more punch. Otherwise looks good!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

So basically, you think that more magic items for the HB and a RBT instead of the black guard is a good idea.

Well I think if DE vets want to try my humble list then it must be good :) I will give it a try, And if I feel i need the BG then Im sure I can ind some space for them. :)
Pleased to be back