please help first timer here

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Primalxx
Trainee Warrior

please help first timer here

Post by Primalxx »

i usally play warhammer 40k but after i seen my first fantasy battle i put all 40k models away and now an very into fantasy ive bine collecting dark elves since the new stuff first came out but only for show but now i want to play with them but have no clue of anything of the game and i was woundering if you guys can help me design my army and help with items ect...... here is what i have so far

1sorceress level 2 and 2 disspell scrolls
12 spearmen musican and standered bearer with sheilds
15executioners musican standered bearer banner of murder
15 black guard musican standered bearer dread banner
5 cold one knights musican standered bearer banner of murder
2 bolt throwers
1 chariot with spears
2 squads of 12 archers with reapeter crossbows each

yea i know its pretty bad lik ei saide i never played my first game is in a few weeks and i need alot of help so please help i need 2000 points and i only got 1711 with my list as is i was thinking of a assassin or a seconde sorceress im willing to drop a choice and add anything so all thoughts and help welcome thank you
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Well I think what is immediatly evident is that you have a shortage of Core units... in particular Dark Riders. We have the best Fast cavalry in the game without a doubt in my mind and I very rarely have a game without them. I would take at least one unit of 6 or so. They are expensive however, I think their points are worth it but the $$ cost is a bit much. You should also increase the size of the unit of spear elves, 12 isn't going to do much and you'll need a unit of 20 or so to be really effective.

You have COKs but you don't have a highborn general. You'll want to have one for the leadership support he can provide your COKs (cold one knights) as their stupidity can often be a deciding factor in the win or loss of a game. I would find yourself a general on a CO to put in the Knights regiment.

If you do get an assassin I would put him in the Executioners as that will be where he will be most effective. You've got a good starting point there, you just need to expand a little and take the strength of the DE list into account.

Good luck, let us know how the first battle goes.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Primalxx
Trainee Warrior

Post by Primalxx »

i was thinking of dark riders but wasnt sure if there were any good i seen them in battle reports in white dwarf and they usally get slaughtered but if i take dark riders should i keep there hand weapond and spears or should i give them repeater crossbows and do they need a musician and a standered bearer?
Crimsondeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Crimsondeath »

Well, you *do* have enough core units for a 2000 point game, although they are a bit on the anaemic side ;)

Your archers are OK (12 is a good number - give them a musician though), but your frontline combat units (Spearelves, Executioners) really need to be at least 16-20 strong each, so you can get the +3 rank bonus...

Personally I would drop the Black Guard, as they are taking too many points away from the rest of your list. In a 2000 point battle, they are just too expensive. If you absolutely must take them, a minimum sized unit of 10 should suffice as a 'tar pit'.

Also, note that you can only take a magic item once (with the exception of Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones), so you will have to drop one of the Banners of Murder.

A combo I like with a Level 2 Sorceress is to give her a single Dispel Scroll and the Darkstar Cloak - this makes her a much more offensive choice.

You should also consider a Noble on a Cold One as your general. He'll be able to stop your COK's from being too stupid and will be able to lend his valuable leadership to other units. Assassins, are overpriced for what they offer.

A unit of 5-8 Dark Riders (with or without RXB's) is always a good investment, but must be used carefully as they will attract a lot of missile fire.

I've had a go at tinkering with your list with some of my suggestions incorporated:

(** indicates a new addition, * indicates a change)

** Noble - Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, SDC, Cold One, Seal of Ghrond

* Sorceress - Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Darkstar Cloak, Dark Steed

* 20 Spearelves, Full Command

12 Warriors, RXB, Musician

12 Warriors, RXB, Musician

** 6 Dark Riders, RXB, Musician

* 20 Executioners, Full Command, Banner of Murder

1 Chariot, Spears

* 5 Cold One Knights, Full Command

* 10 Black Guard

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

...and you should still have a few points to spare.

Hope this helps
There's nothing to see here. Move along.
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

It's kinda funny how the dark riders don't do much in the GW games in WD because in my games they are almost always essential. You can draw out Fanatics in the first turn, stop a fast army from marchine easily, gun down lone magic users, take out war machines... hell they pretty much have free reign as long as they don't get shot down.

Yeah I would take them and learn how to use them, they are the best light cavalry and very useful. If you're not sure on how to use them check out LAST month's white dwarf, there is a useful (if baddly written) article there or if you want something from the horses mouth so to speak ask a question in the tactics forum and you'll get about a million answers from the DE players on this list.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hi and welcome to the site.

Have you got the army book for Dark Elves yet?
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: please help first timer here

Post by Thanee »

I moved this to the Army List forum, as it seems to belong there! :)

primalxx wrote:1sorceress level 2 and 2 disspell scrolls
12 spearmen musican and standered bearer with sheilds
15executioners musican standered bearer banner of murder
15 black guard musican standered bearer dread banner
5 cold one knights musican standered bearer banner of murder
2 bolt throwers
1 chariot with spears
2 squads of 12 archers with reapeter crossbows each

Ok, first of all, you cannot have the same magic item (with the exception of Dispel Scroll and Power Stone) twice (or more) in the same army, so you can only have one Banner of Murder.

Now let's see, what you've got there... I hope I got the cost for the command models right (esp. Executioners and Black Guard), maybe the cost is 5 points higher or lower, don't have the book here.

180 Sorceress Level 2 with 2 Dispel Scrolls
168 12 Dark Elf Warriors with RXB
168 12 Dark Elf Warriors with RXB
240 15 Executioners with Full Command and Banner of Murder
190 5 Cold One Knighs with Full Command
97 1 Cold One Chariot with Spears
275 15 Black Guard with Full Command
200 2 RBTs

I left out the Spearmen, as a unit of 12 is not useful. Either you get some more (at least 20 total), or you better get some Dark Riders as your 3rd Core choice.

To finish the army, you could take a unit of 5 Dark Riders, a unit of 5 Harpies, another Sorceress and a Noble on Cold One to join the Cold One Knights.

150 Sorceress Level 2 with Darkstar Cloak
136 Noble on Cold One with Sword of Might, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak and Enchanted Shield
127 5 Dark Riders with RXB and Musician
65 5 Harpies

Together this would be just under 2000 points.

If you drop 3 Black Guard (down to 12) you will be able to up the Executioners size by 4 (to 19), which gives them the full rank bonus.

Bye
Thanee
Primalxx
Trainee Warrior

thank you

Post by Primalxx »

thank you all for the input as you can tell i needed alot of help and i am definatly looking into dark riders now since everyone surgested it and yes i do have the dark elf codex