Mengil's Dwarf Flayers

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Misteroh
Slave on the Altar

Mengil's Dwarf Flayers

Post by Misteroh »

This is an army to combat my friend's tightly knit cheese stuffed shooty dwarves

505 -Lord - HB Hellthron
crimson death, armor of Darkness, black dragon

The Dark Heralds
120 - 5 dark riders - rxbs
120 - 5 dark riders - rxbs
165 - 15 corsairs, reaver, muse

Flayers
363 - Megil & 9 flayers
130 - 10 harpies
177 - 15 Exexutioners, Draich Master

220 - "Fetch", the hydra
200 - 2 RBT

The main idea i guess will be to scare the hell out of him with some flying black goodness, throw some breath around. I will try and keep the corsairs and execs together, with one of the DR on the side to soften. MAnflayers will be supporting in taking out cannons and thunderers with the harpies. Right now my only concern is getting organ gunned to death and the fact that its only 69 models. Also a concern of mine is setting up the field and deploying properly because i seem to be bad at that. Our fields always come out to be these forested channels on either end, with hills in the center of each starting edge, and maybe a hill or forest in the middle. Seems a little cheesey. of course, any and all suggestions are welcome
Vallorn deathblade
Noble

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

try lilling his warmachines with DR and harpies then flank his larger units with the hydra.
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

I think u have to many rare choices.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

505 -Lord - HB Hellthron

You can't use the Crimson Death and the AOD.
Pleased to be back
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

frankthetank wrote:I think u have to many rare choices.
:? Please give reasons for the advice you give (although this is more kind of your personal opinion rather than a real advice). As your statement adds absolutely nothing to Misteroh's thread some people might even consider it spam. 8)

Please don't spam! ;)

On topic:
I'm not really sure if the Manflayers are worth it. Although they might be able to deal with some dwarves and are very hard to hit, they are also a huge points sink. Especially when playing against shooty dwarves you will need a lot of units to get to his guns because he will shoot up some of yours before you reach his line.
For those points you can also have 3x5 Dark Riders with RXB, or 3x5 Dark Riders (naked) and 6 shades.
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

Banshee wrote:
frankthetank wrote:I think u have to many rare choices.
:? Please give reasons for the advice you give (although this is more kind of your personal opinion rather than a real advice). As your statement adds absolutely nothing to Misteroh's thread some people might even consider it spam. 8)

Please don't spam! ;)

On topic:
I'm not really sure if the Manflayers are worth it. Although they might be able to deal with some dwarves and are very hard to hit, they are also a huge points sink. Especially when playing against shooty dwarves you will need a lot of units to get to his guns because he will shoot up some of yours before you reach his line.
For those points you can also have 3x5 Dark Riders with RXB, or 3x5 Dark Riders (naked) and 6 shades.

NO i mean it iligel to have three rare choices in 2000pts , that what i was pointing out . Sorry about that
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

It's not. One may have nmore than one RBT for only one RAre choice.
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

Two RBT can be taken as one rare choice, go get the army book if you don't believe.
Belial was faster than me.

On to the list then:

I like the overral look of things, but how are the corsairs and executioners going to keep up with the rest of the army?
You have very fast moving army with two big regiment that I doubt will see much HtH aganst an opponen that is going to sit on the other side of the battlefield.

PS. I like armys with hydras, keep it :)
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

I know about the RBT im talking about the man flayres dog of war take up a rare choice look that up in you book .
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Frank, Menghil is a Special choice for Dark Elf armies (any variant). I suggest that you look at the Regiment of Renown table on the GW UK website, or download the Menghil Manhide's Manflayers .pdf from the GW UK site --> Dark Elves --> Menghil Mahide's Manflayers.
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

Sorry i didnt see the part about the dark elves using them as special chioce
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

As a habitual user of the Manflayers (they're artists after all) I can tell you that the Manflayers are un-deniably worth their points but only if used intelligently. Forget about them not being worth their points, because they are. However, if you don't deploy them properly, move them properly, and react with them properly, they will not be worth their points. The Manflayers have their weakness so learn it and prevent it. A scouting unit this powerful will be a game changer but you have to be canny. Loosing this unit will also be a game changer, because of its steep price. IMHO to include the Manflayers means to create your entire army around them and to capitalize on their strengths. I think to do otherwise is to squander their true potential.

I don't know if this list will work well against dwarves but beware magic missiles and auto-hit weapons in general.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.
Steve the pirate
Slave on the Altar

Post by Steve the pirate »

RasputinII wrote:
505 -Lord - HB Hellthron

You can't use the Crimson Death and the AOD.

Why not? There is no rule banning the use of halberd and shield together on the same model, and by the wording of the rules, you don't lose the shield bonus in combat with RAW, as though it includes a shield, it specifically states that it grants a 2+ save, with no mention of losing the shield if using 2 handed weapons as the shield is a description rather than a fundamental part of the armour's rules. Horrificly abusing of the rules, and most sane players would make you drop the shield in combat if using a halberd, but you can still always use the armour...
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

CD: requires two hands -> no shield allowed in cc
AOD: includes shield -> not allowed in combination with CD

No possibility of rules abusing here, really. :?
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!