My first published list for a while

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

My first published list for a while

Post by Dark Alliance »

After a rather lengthy hiatus here is my new list for the foreseeable future. It is still infantry based and there is NO dragon Lord you may notice! This is primarily because my dragon is currently in bits, but besides that, I have had a lot of fun (and success) with a list built around the cauldron for the last year or so which had a Lord in a chariot. With this I found I was able to benefit from his leadership more as he was much slower than Blade, so this list is the next natural step IMO.

…However…When the dragon is rebuilt…That’s a different story of course…

With rumours mounting more regularly through the Witch King’s lair, Morathi drifts between months of secluded depression, and months of drug fuelled elation as she falls ever deeper into the chaotic winds of magic. Malekith hears the words whispered with mixed emotions as he walks the palace deep in thought.

Trusting no one, especially his mother, he secretly concocts a new plan to rid himself once and for all of his nemesis. Disappointed with the efforts of Blade’s son Keikalla, Malekith creates a new People’s Champion and empowers him with the Red Dawn.

There is one task. Hunt down and kill Blade!
If he fails, the new champion will meet the Brides of Khaine himself…

RED DAWN

Ttapel - The People’s Champion – Druchii Highborn with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, Gauntlet of Power and the Crown of Black Iron

…in with 16 Executioners – full command carrying the War Banner

The People’s Standard – Druchii Noble with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, riding a cold one and carrying the Hydra Banner

…in with 5 Cold One Knights – full command carrying the Standard of Slaughter

The twins
– Level 2 spell caster riding a dark steed and carrying the Wand of the Kharaidon in a unit of 5 Dark Riders with rxbs and a standard
– Level 2 spell caster carrying 2 dispel scrolls in a unit of 10 rxbElves with shields

5 Dark Riders with rxbs
2 Cold One Chariots with spears
5 Harpies
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower

2000pts
6 casting dice + the wand and 4 dispel dice with 2 scrolls

Been wanting to make a cold one mounted BSB for a long time, and been wanting to get my knights back on the table top too. The whole army is being repainted in lighter shades to ease selection (hopefully) for painting competitions, as gaming halls are generally dark and have poor lighting, which is a pet hate of mine.

I haven’t used the list yet but I will try and get a couple of games in during this week if I can. Obviously there is a lot of combat strength which can go stupid, but with the general nearby and the changes to psychology in 7th once in combat, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

The list is mobile enough to take the fight to the enemy whilst remaining coherent. I like the tactical opportunities the various unit combinations present as there are no set ‘tag teams’. Each of the characters is babysat into a unit for protection whilst offering some kind of enhancement to their respective units.

The single rbt is expendable, would’ve liked 2 but it ain’t gonna happen ‘coz the points just aren’t there. 6 or more Harpies is also on my wish list. The Harpies were chosen over Shades purely because of their superior movement as I want to cause my opponents to watch their backs (crossfire!!). They are also a fairly expendable skirmish screen for those days when the guns are against you…
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

I'm not loveing the exe's. Sure they are nice unit but for me they need the banner of murder and I prefer a HB who fights in Ini order to help keep the little buggers alive.

Just my thoughts...
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

Joey_Boy wrote:I'm not loveing the exe's. Sure they are nice unit but for me they need the banner of murder and I prefer a HB who fights in Ini order to help keep the little buggers alive.

Just my thoughts...

Joey boy is right there not going to keep up with the rest of the army, unless they take that banner of murder, and a noble to help kill with Ini order .

What lore are you planning to take ? If you take shadow then your excutioners can keep up , with unseen lurk .
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Seems very small.

Its a nice return to old skool lists for sure. However I agree with Joey that I would rather see the Crimson Death on the Lord. With him striking last it makes the unit rather vulnerable to protracted combats. I know S8 gives the chariot smashing, but I would rather have initative striking ability in this situation. Could even give him the Draich for more killing potential and a more Exce feel if you wanted...

Other then that I am ust trying to figure out where the units are. Its really very small indeed....
Pleased to be back
Narathiel
Rudolph's Heir

Post by Narathiel »

I agree with all that has been said.

I also think that you have invested wa ytoo many points in characters. I understand that you want the noble and need the other lvl 2s+hb but it seems that your list could be so much cheaper with just a lvl 4 with wand + 2 scrolls, a noble with crimson death+ enchanted shield and the bsb.
That would at least give you 100-200 points more of whatever you need.
Maybe a reaper or spellthirster if you find the points. A xbow unit would perhaps help?

cheers
nathy
Yeah, been a long time and I have come across all sort of ****.

but I AM back so there you go-it's official ;)
It seems like the assassin sent out to eliminate me failed.
[insert evil laughter]
Apo1979
Executioner

Post by Apo1979 »

Good day,

I don't think that the list is so small.
In the list there are 2 units of CoKs,2 CoCs,10 rbxs,execs.... for a total 7 units and a RBT and as Dark Alliance said the list is mobile enough to take the fight to the enemy whilst remaining coherent.

Although ,I suggest that you should drop the wand from the sorceress,the Standard of Slaughter and 1 or 2 execs in order to include 1 unit of naked dark riders and something like the web of shawdows or the black staff to the sorceress on the dark steed.
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

bring it down the club :)
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

5 Knights
16 Exces
2 Chariots
5 Harpies

2x 5 Riders
10 RXB
RBT

I guess its not that small really. Just seems a little small. Not used to seeing half a rare slot. Makes a list look a wee bit empty...
Pleased to be back
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

Try and find the points for atleast a dark steed for the highborn and a shield!
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Welcome back DA.

It is strange how small the army looks, an optical illusion I guess caused by the layout.

HB + 16 Execs (FC).
BSB on Co + 5 CoK (FC).
Sorc on DS + 5 DR (St).
Sorc + 10 RXB Warriors.
5 DR.
2 Chariots.
5 Harpies.
1 RBT.

Looks a little bulkier now. Also feels a bit like a slow, but persistant, march down the throat of the enemy. I'd feel so much more comfortable if there was just a single ten strong unit of Warriors to walk in a line in front of those Exe's though.

While I see the point of the I based weapon on a Char in a GW wielding unit (and it's something I'd normally do) I think that might slightly dilute this unit down - if they get caught in combat for a round or two I think it'll grind the army to a halt anyway (it'd be like a cog getting stuck in a perpetual motion machine).
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Your unit of COK with the BSB really made me wince im afraid.

439 points on a 7 wound T3 unit is a hell of a risk, even if the CR potetial is huge. If i was your opponent i would target this unit first with my shooting, bait it into some trees or feed it something cheap and gristly.
I would lose the rather unreliable standard of slaughter on the unit and replace it with the warbanner from the exes. I would then buy the Exes the banner of murder.

Interesting choice of the standard on the Dark Riders. Is this designed to couteract outnumbering when you get flank charges on ranked units?

Personally i would either move the standard to the other unit, you dont want your sorceress in combat.

OR

I would trade it in for 2 musicians - almost as good as a standard in drawn combats, doesnt give away VP's if captured and improves the chances of rallying.

On a final note i would ditch the boomstick and buy the Seal of Ghrond and the tome of Furion for your mounted sorceress.
This gives you an extra chance of rolling something decent (i got steed of shadows and crown of taidron the other week !lol! ) and gives you a valuable extra dispel dice.
You might go further and give the seal to the sorceress on foot in exchange for a dispel scroll. This shifts your dispel ability to the sorceress at least risk while retaining the offensive power of your more mobile lady.

I think these suggestions make small improvements without changing the composition which incidently, i would be too frightened to put on the table.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

frankthetank wrote:
Joey_Boy wrote:I'm not loveing the exe's. Sure they are nice unit but for me they need the banner of murder and I prefer a HB who fights in Ini order to help keep the little buggers alive.

Just my thoughts...

Joey boy is right there not going to keep up with the rest of the army, unless they take that banner of murder, and a noble to help kill with Ini order .

What lore are you planning to take ? If you take shadow then your excutioners can keep up , with unseen lurk .

I don't like the Banner of Murder at all, and my past year's experience with infantry has taught me how to keep my line intact if I need to.

I your comments about the Gauntlet and they are valid. I just love being able to say ''S8 No armour save then'' :lol: but Crimson Death is a viable alternative and one I have considered and ay still come.

Executioners are great models, my favourites in fact and the unit of 15 I have been using this past year has done well for me.

The magic lore I will prefer is Death, Shadow being too much of a lottery with 2 level two casters.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

benji wrote:bring it down the club :)

The plan is to bring it out for an inaugral round of fisticuffs 2moro at Warhammer World.

It's my new fun list and as you know, I'm not too fussed with killer lists at present, preferring to fight on gaming skills rather than no brainer armies ;)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Amarel wrote:Welcome back DA.

Thank you

It is strange how small the army looks, an optical illusion I guess caused by the layout.

Indeed

HB + 16 Execs (FC).
BSB on Co + 5 CoK (FC).
Sorc on DS + 5 DR (St).
Sorc + 10 RXB Warriors.
5 DR.
2 Chariots.
5 Harpies.
1 RBT.

Looks a little bulkier now. Also feels a bit like a slow, but persistant, march down the throat of the enemy. I'd feel so much more comfortable if there was just a single ten strong unit of Warriors to walk in a line in front of those Exe's though.

Not that slow really, but persistent yes. There is enough there to cause long range threats in the early turns whilst I position myself. As Benji's friend Ben will atest, I am not averse to keeping my whole armies intact on a flank, forcing head on combats if they are too my advantage. A tactic I used effectively against a finely tuned tournament WEs army to force a draw with my cauldron list.

This can do the same thing.

DE armies do not have to be ultra fast and it makes one a better all round general if you can use different structures to win games.

I too would like to see the small unit of Warriors as it would free up the Harpies more. They may well come too.

While I see the point of the I based weapon on a Char in a GW wielding unit (and it's something I'd normally do) I think that might slightly dilute this unit down - if they get caught in combat for a round or two I think it'll grind the army to a halt anyway (it'd be like a cog getting stuck in a perpetual motion machine).

Obviously, a situation to try and avoid! ;)
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Welcome back!

I quite like the list actually, definately isn't that slow. Good luck tomorrow at Warhammer World. Tell us how it goes.

Sean
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

How is the list doing ?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Never made it to battle last night. Ended up in a curry house instead yummy yummy!

Mmm, I'm thinking dropping my lord for a Noble with a halberd and the seal, or Crimson Death maybe just might allow a unit of Corsairs to sneak in for a few games (see Kel's thread)!
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Dark Alliance wrote:Mmm, I'm thinking dropping my lord for a Noble with a halberd and the seal, or Crimson Death maybe just might allow a unit of Corsairs to sneak in for a few games (see Kel's thread)!

I like this idea (and the idea of curry actually as it goes :)) - I think you gain more than you lose by doing this.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Frankthetank
Beastmaster

Post by Frankthetank »

That how my list is i have a noble with my exec works great .

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=46200
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Amarel wrote:
Dark Alliance wrote:Mmm, I'm thinking dropping my lord for a Noble with a halberd and the seal, or Crimson Death maybe just might allow a unit of Corsairs to sneak in for a few games (see Kel's thread)!

I like this idea (and the idea of curry actually as it goes :)) - I think you gain more than you lose by doing this.

I think you guys may be right. And I really ought to give the Corsairs a go. Kel mentioned in his thread about their additional attack, couple that to their armour save vs shooting and they are shouting quite load ''Hey Boss give us a go!'' - so just might.

The extra models on the table bulk the list out and it gives me the opportunity to have an additional flanking support unit, thus allowing the Knights to go off and do their thing in the way I would like.

And as for the curry...yummy yummy. Had another one last night. I love King Prawn Methi.

And it is Diwali of course so seasons greetings :D
And more curry please :D