2250pts MSU, *UPDATED*

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mar-win
Highborn

2250pts MSU, *UPDATED*

Post by Mar-win »

Hi
Well... after four years in the hobby, mostly painting, I've decided to finally make myself an army ;)

As I'm really a painter and modeller in heart I'm not the best tactician, so any advice on the list will be most appreciated (however please note that I want this list, not somebody else's list, and will thus not change the list entirely :P)

well, here it goes:

mar-win's MSU army, version 1:

High sorceress: lvl4, soulstone, power stone, 2xdispel scroll: 355pts
Noble: lance, cold one, enchanted shield, heavy armor, sdc: 120pts
Noble: bsb, dark steed, wand of kharaidon, heavy armor: 163pts

10x Corsairs: musician: 105pts
10x Dark elf warriors: shields, musician: 85pts
12x Dark elf warriors: shields, rxb, musician: 149pts
5x Dark riders: rxb, musician: 127pts

6x Cold on knights: full command, soul shadow standard: 269pts (Noble on cold one goes here)
2x Cold one chariots: spears: 194pts
6x Harpies: 78pts
12x Executioners: full command, warbanner: 187pts

2 Reaper bolt throwers: 200pts

*Update*

mar-win's MSU list version 2!

High sorceress: lvl4, soulstone, power stone, 2xdispel scroll, dark steed: 355pts
Noble: lance, cold one, enchanted shield, heavy armor, sdc: 120pts
Noble: bsb, dark steed, wand of kharaidon, heavy armor: 163pts
Assassin: 2x hand weapons and dance of doom: 159pts

10x Dark elf warriors: shields, rxb: 120pts

5x Cold on knights: banner, champion, soul shadow standard: 231pts (Noble on cold one goes here)
2x Cold one chariots: spears: 194pts
6x Harpies: 78pts
12x Executioners: full command, warbanner: 187pts

2 Reaper bolt throwers: 200pts

Basically the idea of the army is to take advantage of the new redirect rule and thus using a lot of small bate units which I can either flee with or just sacrifice them for the greater good! Also I have some shooting and magic to sort of force my enemy to come closer and to weaken the larger units which I might have difficulties with otherwise.

So, what do you think?
Last edited by Mar-win on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Flying monsters cant join units. So that is that problem solved. page 72
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

Also, per the Dark Elf Army Book, a BSB cannot ride a Dark Pegasus
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

Edited the post with an updated version of the list... hopefully I can get some comments now!

thanks

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You should go back and edit again . . . your special/rare choices are each listed twice.

Not a bad list overall, but I really do think that units of 10 spear-elves are a complete waste. Even if they hit an enemy in the flank, they won't do much since they lack attacks. Spearmen need ranks to do well. I know this is an MSU army, but you are much better off with a single unit with full ranks and a banner -- and it still won't cost much in terms of points.

Also, dump the soulstone on your High Sorceress. Unless you roll snake-eyes on a miscast, she'll survive. I would rather see her with the Darkstar cloak to boost her spellcasting.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

thanks for the reply DT!

About the warriors.. hmm, well, as stated I'm trying to go for an msu army and the warrior units are not there for any hammering or CR boost. They are simply there for trapping and sacrificing. They can't be totally ignored by my opponent though as they can easily flank charge (not for making any damage, but for neglecting ranks).

as for the soulstone or DSC.. yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot tbh... the extra PD would be great, however I'm quite afraid of mistcasts (even though as you say a snake eyes is the only really dangerous one).. but I'll definately give it another thought!

thanks again!

Dancingpigeon
Highborn

Post by Dancingpigeon »

Is the Enchanted Shield a bit of overkill on the CO mounted Noble? I mean... he has a 0+/-1+ with it... it could be a little OTT.

You might do better with something like the Web of Shadows, or SoG... if you can find the points that is.
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

aye, you might have a point there... I put the ES on him for that extra protection because he will be my general and I don't want him to die to the horde of str4 attacks there are in the game... As it is now he still gets his 2+ save for those, which is kind of nice considering his mere T3 ;)

the seal is indeed great to have... it would allow me to either put 4 dice on one spell and 1 die on a smaller one, or 3+2.... I'll have to try to fit it in!

Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

sorry for double posting, but made an update to the list!

I stumbled over an "Aenur, sword of twilight" from the Mordheim range, and I just couldn't let it lie there by itself, so I had to buy it. Now (as the "painter at heart" kind of person I am) I feel kind of forced to include it as an assassin in the army ;)

so, I updated the list, removing a CoK, the 10 corsairs and 2 of the rxb warriors (+ their musician) and added the Assassin with Killing blow and 2x hw. I also had points spare to include an extra harpy, as I think the 6 unit might be a tad too small.

Any ideas?

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

I like it! But why the Warbanner on the Exes? Just go for Banner of Murder, it would be devastating in this list even if the concept itself is kinda worn out :P Just 1 thing you definitely need to change IMO: mount for the HS. I know it seems attractive for her to be protected by a unit, but Dark Magic comes better into its own when easily directed, plus the fact that she'll be subject to a lot of Panic tests. 10-strong units are easily destroyed by missile fire.... :evil:
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

thanks a lot for the comment! :)

you might be right about the BoM.. I put the warbanner in there because I lack a lot of static CR and the +1 CR could prove very useful in this list.. but on the other hand, BoM makes them more useful as flankers.. any idea of what I could drop in favor of the BoM?

I put her on foot because I don't want to model her on a horse ;) but I guess I could do some sort of substitution for the horse model wise. Dropped one harpy and the musician on the CoK (they've got SSS anyway) in favor of a dark steed on the HS!

thanks!