Scott's First 2000pt Dark Elf List. (Really Shooty)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Scott
Slave on the Altar

Scott's First 2000pt Dark Elf List. (Really Shooty)

Post by Scott »

I'm new to Dark Elves Picked up everything (minus the assassin) for $50 Canadian. Just purchased the army book today. Now I'm making this list based upon the models that I have. I'm curious to your thoughts on the army and also if I misread something, and built the list illegally.

So without further adieu

Lords
------

Dark Elf Highborn (418pts)
- Manticore
- Repeater Crossbow/Heavy Armour/Sea Dragon Cloak/Shield
- HeartSeeker
- Ring of Darkness

Heroes
--------

Sorceress (206pts)
- Cold One
- Level 2 Wizard
- Tome of Furion
- LifeTaker

Assassin (129pts)
- Additional Hand Weapon

Core Units
------------

Dark Elf Warrios (196pts X 3 Units for 588pts)
- 15 Warriors/1 Lordling/Standard
- Repeater Crossbows

Dark Riders (254pts)
- 9 Riders/1 Herald
- Repeater Crossbows

Cold One Chariot (95pts)

Special Units
--------------

Cold One Knights (210 pts)
- 5 Knights/1 Dread Knight
- Standard

Rare Units
------------

Repeater Bolt Thrower (100pts)

Total Army Cost: 2000Pts
Total Mini's in Army: 71
Power Dice: 5
Dispel Dice: 3
Total Possible Shots per turn: 120 + Bolt Thrower

Anyways I'm curious if I should drop a standard in a unit of Warriors and get crossbows for the crew of the chariot to help measure distances for charges (shoot and measure then next turn know how far away units are). Or maybe drop the extra hand weapon on the assassin for spears on the chariot.

I think it's a pretty solid list. It's shooty and wouldn't withstand a tough charge. If anyone has any suggestions things to try or change please let me know. Again it's based upon the mini's that I have at the moment and I will be adding more to the army later. Suggestions for what to add would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
~Scott
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Scott's First 2000pt Dark Elf List. (Really Shooty)

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Since the list is bvased on the models you have available, I won't be suggesting wholsale changes, just commenting on how you are using what you have.

Dark Elf Highborn (418pts)
- Manticore
- Repeater Crossbow/Heavy Armour/Sea Dragon Cloak/Shield
- HeartSeeker
- Ring of Darkness

Dark Elf characters need help wounding and punching throuh armor -- they normally hit pretty well. So take something to boost your strength instead of going with Heartseeker. A lance or the Sword of Might would be better. The Ring of Darkness can be a good defensive item, but it is a bound spell and so it can be dispelled. And unless you have a lot of otehr spells to pave the way for it (which you do not), it will be dispelled every time you try to use it. Go with the Crown of Black Iron and the Enchanted Shield for about the same numebr of points.

Sorceress (206pts)
- Cold One
- Level 2 Wizard
- Tome of Furion
- LifeTaker

A sorceress on a cold-one is not a great idea, but if that's your model, you're stuck with her. Lifetaker is a bad option since you cannot use it in turns when you march. Since this is your only spellcaster, you could make her defensive -- just make her a level 1 with 2 scrolls. If you want some offensive ability, a Power Stone works well with the Tome of Furion.

Assassin (129pts)
- Additional Hand Weapon

Manbane and Rune of Khaine would make this guy a lot stronger.

Dark Elf Warrios (196pts X 3 Units for 588pts)
- 15 Warriors/1 Lordling/Standard
- Repeater Crossbows

Your points seem off on these units . . .

Dark Riders (254pts)
- 9 Riders/1 Herald
- Repeater Crossbows

Split into 2 units of 5 and treat the herald as a regular trooper.

Cold One Chariot (95pts)

Spears would be good and you could get crossbows too by dumping the herald from the Dark Riders.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Yeah definetly split the DR unit into 2 of 5.

Manflayers are good for shooty armies too.
Scott
Slave on the Altar

Post by Scott »

Dyvim Tvar and Prince of Arnheim, thanks for your input. I just double checked the points on the warriors and 16 strong with crossbows lordling and standard it does add to 196 pts per unit, with 3 they are 588. And yes I'm stuck with the sorceress on a cold One. I'll probably end up picking up a sorceress on foot in the summer when I get some money.

Looking at the stats for the Herald it's not worth it, I am going to drop him for crossbows and spears on the chariot.

But thank you once again for your help, as I have said I just picked up the book today, and havn't really seen them play yet. So I'm not overly sure what looks good on paper vs what actually works well in games.
Innocent greed
Trainee Warrior

Post by Innocent greed »

I think you should also find the points to buy your crossbowman shields so that they can have a 4+ save in CC and become quite good in that part of the game too.
To find the points, i would drop the extra level from your sorceress and just use her as a sroll caddy (level 1 with 2 scolls), because a single mage wont get many spells of against most opponents.
If you give your highborn a mundane lance or the sword of might u should have enought points for the changes and you should also give him a normal ward-save as he will receive a whole lot of shooting with his large mount.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

1: give ya rxb's shields
2: drop your lordling on em, for they dont get an extra shot.
3: Keep your DR's in units of 5 each.
4: Drop your Assassin, get a noble with seal.
5: Put your noble(If you bring one) in the chariot
6: Put your sorceress amongst the DR and drop that cold one.
7: Heartseeker, drop it, bring sword of might instead.
8: Bring Corsairs...
9: Get another Bolt thrower in there if you want to be shooty
10: drop lifetaker on Sorceress, take a dispel scroll, or make her a scroll caddy, or maybe even a Soulstone, if your worried about miscasts.

These are only ideas, and i am aware of your allowances
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

Welcome to Druchii.net

You have a great deal for that lot for so little.

16 warriors with rxb and lordling and standard cost 196 without shields.

I assume that they are modelled without shields. This is unfortunate because the shield increases the armour save to 4+ in close combat and you can use the unit as good medium infantry (just a bit expensive)

16 can be a bit unwieldy and you might consider reconfiguring them into 4 x 12 rather than 3 x16.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Dyvim Tvar.
Last edited by Opera of death on Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I see my point of confusion -- it thought the crossbow units were 15 including the Lordling, not 15 plus a lordling. As others have said, for units that big, get them some shields.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Scott
Slave on the Altar

Post by Scott »

I believe I have the bits to allow me to get some shields on them So I will probably work towards that when I can.

Once again thanks for the help everyone it's greatly appreciated.
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

If you just do the front rank, most players will go for that.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.